Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 08:18:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696485
  • Total Topics: 118770
  • Online Today: 540
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1742239 times)

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #3495 on: July 26, 2015, 05:44:48 PM »
Remove the crossbow limb add a magazine,instant bolter  lol

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3496 on: July 26, 2015, 06:18:50 PM »
Looks like some other old GW video games are showing up for cheap. Knuck from Dakka:

http://www.gog.com/game/warhammer_40000_chaos_gate
http://www.gog.com/game/warhammer_shadow_of_the_horned_rat
http://www.gog.com/game/final_liberation_warhammer_epic_40000

I bought Shadow of The Horned Rat because I enjoyed it's sequel, Dark Omens, and despite some reviews there it works okay on my computer. Bit clunky though. I might just wait 'til Gog puts DO up.
Hey, thanks for the info. I alwas loved Chaos Gate but in recent times it was a pain in the behind to get it running on a modern OS, and even then it was unplayable because the game crashed as soon as a cultist with a laspistol activated. Some bug in the game logic. I assume they finally corrected it so I might buy it on GOG.

Offline Simlasa

• Scientist
« Reply #3497 on: July 28, 2015, 08:38:16 AM »
I never played 8th edition and for all I know AOS is a fine game, but I've gotta laugh a bit at some of the guys I see gushing about the new game and figures (and spitting on 8th)... guys who wouldn't have given it a second look if it GW wasn't the company making it.
There's been good fantasy skirmish games around if that's what they were really wanting... but suddenly it's like GW invented the idea.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #3498 on: July 28, 2015, 08:59:09 AM »
Gushing over the latest thing goes on all the time - previous recipients include Saga, Lion Rampant and now Frostgrave. People like to talk about the latest thing.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3499 on: July 28, 2015, 09:04:28 AM »
[...] I see gushing about the new game and figures (and spitting on 8th)... guys who wouldn't have given it a second look if it GW wasn't the company making it.
There's been good fantasy skirmish games around if that's what they were really wanting... but suddenly it's like GW invented the idea.

The "big sell" of GW games has been that they are relatively widely played, and that pick-up games in their stores and local clubs are easy and quick to arrange even with strangers. Regardless of game or model quality, I can understand that appeal, and that's the key reason that people who play those games are quick to lap the latest game version - it provides them with the longest time before official support (and therefore game availability in the stores) is dropped.

Plus, as Nord rightly points out, "shiny syndrome" of anything new! :P

Offline Simlasa

• Scientist
« Reply #3500 on: July 28, 2015, 11:08:09 AM »
I get the 'new hotness' aspect of it... but it only extends to GW's shiny bling... I'm not seeing any of them anticipating Dragon Rampant for example. A year ago getting any of them to try something like Song of Blades would have been like asking them to give up their first born... now they think a smaller game with whatever figures they have on the shelves is a stroke of genius.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3501 on: July 28, 2015, 11:36:11 AM »
What I am not getting is where are all the cheap models for sale from all the people who are ragequitting?

I had hoped to snag up some cheap stuff in the fallout of Age of Sigmar.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #3502 on: July 28, 2015, 11:49:39 AM »
People will always be people.

Always expect gushing and praise and joy from those with an invested interest in the products of specific companies. Me included if you can find one I really have an invested interest in the products of.

GW did however have the master stroke idea not only to do AOS and get lots of people gushing over the  

o_o New Shiny!!!  o_o

they made their plastic and painted it gold!

The must have shiny has to be sprayed in 17 GBP gold spray paint (no such thing as alternatives in the GW hobby don't forget) to really make it

o_o o_o Shiny  o_o o_o

- why would you want one of those stupid old armies any more when you can have gold..

Also stops new gamers coming in and wanting to play pickup games with their Granddads superbly painted Empire/Brettonian/Slaanesh or whatever army  - They have to invest in Gold or Red and skulls, or both. Those are "in", yours are not

The cheap ragequits/mini dumps of growing up etc will come eventually, and we might have a slim chance of getting som of them.  :)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3503 on: July 28, 2015, 12:06:45 PM »
@ Simlasa:

Right, but my first (main) point is the principle reason why.

As for Song of Blades... Well, that's a reason why a lot of current customers are leaving, and why GW hopes that new customers will be attracted to replace them (ideally a bigger gain than loss, obviously).

I don't disagree with you BTW, I'm just pointing out the answers than many GW fans have cited over the years. I'm in the fortunate position that as long as my friends will agree to play a game, no game is off-limits - but I know that's not the case for other wargamers.

@ Dr Zombie:

I's all been "pro-painted" and sold in little bits for twelve times the original RRP due to "OOP RARE OLDHAMMER".
Or, people are simply keeping their collections and just playing the (now obsolete) version of WHFB of their choice. :P

@ Tactalvanic:

I would not be surprised to see a Sigmarine sprue that's been electroplated in real gold sold by GW for some commemorative event (it'd be "Limited Edition (TM)", of course)... Watch this space! ;)

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #3504 on: July 28, 2015, 12:09:57 PM »
I picked up some metal 1990s high elves, been after them for ages, but not willing to pay £3 or more per model. Suddenly I found some and ended up paying less than £1 each - not sure if it was AOS related or just badly advertised, the seller didn't even mention they were metal. I suspect it was a combination of the two. I have recently seen some ridiculously low prices, especially on painted armies. You have to look a bit harder.  o_o

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #3505 on: July 28, 2015, 12:13:44 PM »
What I am not getting is where are all the cheap models for sale from all the people who are ragequitting?

I'm actually excavating my old minis today as there's now genuine interest in Kings of War around here. It looks like a proper unit-based game instead of being a special rule, magic item and large monster fest. Meanwhile, other people are working on community rules for 8th edition as it's now abandoned by GW. They're fixing the worst balance issues and bringing back some axed armies like Dogs of War so there's another bunch of people who now have a chance to play an improved game with their old minis.

Fantasy battles have suddenly become popular again, AoS not so much. :)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3506 on: July 28, 2015, 12:29:45 PM »

No mate, folks are just breaking up starter sets and selling small sets to make a buck.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #3507 on: July 28, 2015, 12:49:55 PM »
I'm actually excavating my old minis today as there's now genuine interest in Kings of War around here. It looks like a proper unit-based game instead of being a special rule, magic item and large monster fest.

It seems actually quite well timed, the killing off of WFB Official version and the iminent arrival of KOW 2 rules.

What I think should be remembered though, as far as I currently know (someone correct me if otherwise), none of their products are HEWN - particularly their gaming aides

Guess that does not matter if your using old stuff and fluff, but might need to be considered in the future...

Offline Damas

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Re-enactor, modeller, stooge
« Reply #3508 on: July 28, 2015, 03:12:31 PM »
I've not read much of the fluff (I'd rather cut off and eat my arm, well someone's arm anyway) but the whole Sigmar leading the Technobarbarians, Slaneesh surpressed and not in the pantheon of gods thing (did I get that right?) etc., etc. is just the early days of the Emperor(TM) before the great crusade.  Call the Dwarves the ancestors of Mars and whatever, I've lost interest and suddenly AoS has merged into Warhammer 10K.

The next revision will be Warhammer 20K and will merge with the backwards trend from Warhammer 40K to 30K to 20K and they can then just market one system.
"Old gamers don't die, they just smell like that."

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #3509 on: July 28, 2015, 03:54:12 PM »
I've not read much of the fluff (I'd rather cut off and eat my arm, well someone's arm anyway) but the whole Sigmar leading the Technobarbarians, Slaneesh surpressed and not in the pantheon of gods thing (did I get that right?) etc., etc. is just the early days of the Emperor(TM) before the great crusade.  Call the Dwarves the ancestors of Mars and whatever, I've lost interest and suddenly AoS has merged into Warhammer 10K.

The next revision will be Warhammer 20K and will merge with the backwards trend from Warhammer 40K to 30K to 20K and they can then just market one system.

Yes, I think the plan is that will be the Hewn edition. Possibly hewn from the skulls of former players/hobbyists?