Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 09:33:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1742335 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #3525 on: July 29, 2015, 05:53:56 PM »
The downside is that before long you won't be able to say to a local taxi driver "take me to the Reichstag" and end up at GW. I wonder what they will call it in future?

;)

lol lol lol

Darrell.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #3526 on: July 29, 2015, 07:04:10 PM »
Wales isn't interested in going solo ... we're not so green as we're cabbage-lookin' to think that's a good idea. Besides, try to keep us out and we'll just invade, rename England 'Wales East' and force you to learn our language. Even the threat of that should be enough.
Forum rules:
2.4 Politics and religion.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES are you allowed to start discussions about current political events, potentially contentious religious issues, or current affairs which may involve aggressive patriotic sentiment. I'm sure we all love our countries, but this forum has members from countries all over the world - please don't assume everyone shares your world view or wants to have it pushed in their face. This is mainly due to myself being a very apolitical person, who personally believes that any beliefs should remain a private matter and be left out of public interaction, at the very least this board. Even if you do not agree with it, this is my forum, and these are my rules.

Calling nationalists 'we're not so green as we're cabbage-lookin' perhaps not a good idea considering the above.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #3527 on: July 29, 2015, 07:47:06 PM »
twrchtrwyth has got a point there. Let's get back to making fun of Games Workshop.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3528 on: July 29, 2015, 07:52:05 PM »
While I can't argue with the rule quotation, I thought that expression wasn't an insult, and not used as such in this instance?

lol lol lol

Darrell.

... They're going to call it Darrell? o_o

;)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3529 on: July 29, 2015, 08:12:26 PM »
While I can't argue with the rule quotation, I thought that expression wasn't an insult, and not used as such in this instance?

Yes, it usually means "I'm/we're not as naive as you think we look"... at least that's what my Nan used to say when I used to try to distract her and steal whatever she'd just pulled out of the oven.

However... 'current affairs' it is regardless. Let's move on eh?  :)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #3530 on: July 29, 2015, 08:55:07 PM »
twrchtrwyth has got a point there. Let's get back to making fun of Games Workshop.
This, this is good administrating/Moderating.  :D
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3531 on: July 30, 2015, 09:20:10 AM »
Well, although posted elsewhere on LAF already, I guess this belongs here:

http://imgur.com/a/r8FRk

On the one hand, I think they look great. On the other hand, I feel like GW are getting desperate now:

"No don't go, we need your wallets! How about we give you those things you've been asking for the last fifteen years?! You know: mini plastic Titans, plastic Mechanicus, and plastic assassins, and, er... Plastic oldmarines Heresy marines. How about some fantasy Marines for those of you who don't 40k? Will you stay then? Please...?"

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #3532 on: July 30, 2015, 02:27:20 PM »
Rumour chern suggests its a Q4 release of Warhammer 30K boxed set to launch a 30k Middleground between 0K AOS and 40K, as others here have already commented.

so not as simple as AOS but not as complicated as 40K errr... ok

Guess that makes three games and they can proceed to burn/throw out the Hobbits and such completely?

"Yes my dear hobbit, you are very special, that's why we are burning you and all your friends."

And the range would then  all be SpaceMarine compatible and More IP protectable?

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3533 on: July 30, 2015, 02:43:32 PM »
[...] not as complicated as 40K errr... ok

But... When they last did that (it was 40k 3E), everyone complained that the game and armies "lacked flavour"; they've spent the last four editions since then making it more elaborate with each edition!  o_o

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #3534 on: July 30, 2015, 03:14:45 PM »
But... When they last did that (it was 40k 3E), everyone complained that the game and armies "lacked flavour"; they've spent the last four editions since then making it more elaborate with each edition!  o_o

Oh. I missed that. handy there is already a 3 in it.

Get the old books out,  3rd becomes Warhammer 40K, 30K Edition?

Just a few find/replace and print -

Mayabe give someone a marker pen to edit any old copies lying around - sell them as Limited Edition copies - HEWN by hand?

Maybe they can bring out a limited edition Space Hulk at the same time?

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #3535 on: July 30, 2015, 04:34:32 PM »
"No don't go, we need your wallets! How about we give you those things you've been asking for the last fifteen years?!

I'm kind of impressed by ranting about releasing and not releasing certain items within the same sentence.

Tough crowd.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3536 on: July 30, 2015, 04:57:58 PM »
I'm kind of impressed by ranting about releasing and not releasing certain items within the same sentence.

Tough crowd.

Nah. It's called 'too little, too late'. Wasn't it Andy Chambers who said that if GW ever released HH minis, it'd be a sure sign they were in trouble? And they're in trouble for a lot more and better reasons than being teases about HH marines for years.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #3537 on: July 30, 2015, 05:53:15 PM »
I don't know if they in are trouble or not. Every year for the past several the revenue has been steady or declined slightly. They are certainly not growing, but maybe that's not a problem. Keep milking the same cow for the approx £120m per year. Is that in trouble?

It's true that they have accelerated releases to keep this level of revenue, but if they can maintain that rate, then all's well isn't it? I hate the direction they have taken and not been a customer for about ten years (starter sets excepted), but I don't see them sinking just yet. As much as I dislike them, they seem reasonably healthy to me, financially speaking. Relying on a very popular part of their IP - is that desperation or just shrewd? As far as I am concerned personally, never liked marines so a game of marines v marines is meh, but I can see that it would get their core market very excited.

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #3538 on: July 30, 2015, 06:03:35 PM »
Rumour chern suggests its a Q4 release of Warhammer 30K boxed set...

Huh. I'd actually be interested in that, for reasons that can only be considered sinister.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3539 on: July 30, 2015, 07:54:28 PM »
There have been rumours for a while about '30k' going mainstream, instead of just being Forge World's baby. Given recent events nothing would surprise me short of "we're scrapping 40k and going with our new original gaming milieu 'My Small Equus'...".

I also think GW's demise is more a case of wishful thinking by some... it paid a 6.something % dividend to shareholders, its shares are currently 560.5, a rise of 50 since April. Still a way to go to reach the 800 or so peak of 2013, but going in the right direction.