Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:58:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rogue Trooper - Thoughts on the System  (Read 4205 times)

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
Rogue Trooper - Thoughts on the System
« on: August 26, 2013, 08:45:54 AM »
I discovered just a few minutes ago that I have a copy of Rogue Trooper in PDF in a long-forgotten folder on my computer. A quick browse through the rules make it look pretty interesting, but it is a little on the thin side, clearly not a finished product.

Has anyone played RT yet? At my club we're always searching for a Sci-fi rules set that could be used for "Not 40K" or whatever other SF someone may be into. Is RT worth pushing or is it too mired in the 2000AD setting?

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Rogue Trooper - Thoughts on the System
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 10:11:18 AM »
What happened to the kickstarter? seems to have died a death?

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 10:16:03 AM »
What happened to the kickstarter? seems to have died a death?
It's been plenty quiet but the project did fund and then some. This is the latest official explanation as to what gives:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1990654819/2000ad-rogue-trooper-miniatures-game/posts/549960

As to the rules, I've read them only so I can't really say how they'll play. They seem to be about equally "mired" in their setting as any non-generic game is: that is to say, pretty much as mired as you want them to be (this ranges in my experience from "only play by the book using official miniatures" to "let's all convert our Wh40k armies to this game!") As I recall, many troops are quite generic enough for proxying and some are a little more difficult to easily mock up.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 10:18:46 AM by tnjrp »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 10:20:39 AM »
It's been plenty quiet but the project did fund and then some. This is the latest official explanation as to what gives:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1990654819/2000ad-rogue-trooper-miniatures-game/posts/549960

Cheers, end of the year? after close out in March..I wouldnt like to bet how many pledges they will lose through a 9 month lag from end to production??? rather a shite game plan surely!

Offline Keeper Nilbog

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 09:40:03 PM »
The rule core are the original Starship Troopers, and then Battlefield Evolution rules, which work really well. The main change between the two systems was reaction fire, which reduced dramatically in the B:Evo set. Written by Andy Chambers (of GW fame), they are still one of my favourite rule sets, as the reaction system models the battlefield environment well.

So, yes, good system, good game

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 12:08:20 AM »
Thanks Keeper, are there any other army lists out there? Specifically robots or hive-like alien bugs. Given that its based on the Starship Trooper rules, could the ST armies work for it?

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 02:37:23 PM »
Cheers, end of the year? after close out in March..I wouldnt like to bet how many pledges they will lose through a 9 month lag from end to production??? rather a shite game plan surely!

You know my thought on Matt's approach to this ks  >:( :(
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 03:03:51 PM »

I did not think you could un-pledge once the KS has hit its end of funding window.
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 11:48:38 PM »
Not to gripe guys, but I'm really after people's thoughts on the rules here.  ;)

I understand the frustration with Kickstarter delays, but I'm pretty sure there was already a topic about the KS, this one is about the rules.  8)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 07:23:50 AM »
Yeah sorry.

Well I want the environment to be as deadly as the enemy. Not sure if thst currently translates in the rules tbh. But its been a while since I looked at them in any depth.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 10:20:08 AM »
Isn't that title "similar" to one used by another company (think large) in the past?  I am surprised there is some IP claims (justified or not) on that matter.

FGU had to go to court (and won) over "Space Marine" I believe.  Isn't this title as volatile?

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 10:20:53 AM »
The above being said, if is based on any bug infested war book as inspiration it should be very deadly.  Or should it?  The book I am thinking of lacks specifics on actual losses usually although it implies possibly high losses in some cases.

Gracias,

Glenn

Edit:  Who thinks that might need a new thread...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 11:17:58 AM »
Isn't that title "similar" to one used by another company (think large) in the past?  I am surprised there is some IP claims (justified or not) on that matter.

FGU had to go to court (and won) over "Space Marine" I believe.  Isn't this title as volatile?

Gracias,

Glenn

The game is based on a long-running 2000AD comic strip originally published in 1981. In that, it would be related to the Judge Dredd game Mongoose used to publish. The title predates "That Other Game"(TM) by several years and is a well-established franchise, if little known outside the UK. Recently, a videogame based on it was released. I don't think a lawsuit would have any ground to stand on.

Basically, the story boils down to humans finding a New (Nu) Earth and messing it up big time. The title character is a genetically modified supersoldier and the sole survivor of a massacre, stalking the post-apocalyptic, toxic and generally lethal wasteland in search of the traitor responsible. Toxic clouds, radiation, semi-sentient barbed wire and related stuff kill everyone without a protective suit (and others WITH a suit, too).

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 12:08:04 PM »
Rogue Trader was actually called 'Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader' BECUASE the nam was too similar to 'Rogue Trooper' which, at the time, GW had recently released a Board Game of.