Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:43:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689629
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Occupy Space Station - oooh, shiny shiny Stanford Torus!  (Read 11375 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Occupy Space Station - oooh, shiny shiny Stanford Torus!
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 07:32:38 PM »
That, and I had some issues with the [SPOILER ALERT] open-topped habitat ring.

I thought that one was the least problematic one once I'd seen Kruger's force field. If they have a man-portable forcefield that can deflect bullets and power-armoured blows, I guess they can project a field that is just strong enough to keep the atmosphere in. Centrifugal(?) forces alone I would be hard-pressed to buy, though.

But I guess the main reason, from the film-makers' point of view, was to allow for spectacular entries that did not compromise the structural integrity of the whole thing (e.g. crashing through an airlocked landing bay or something).

Mind you, I wouldn't have minded if Elysium had been an O'Neill-type station, but the Stanford Torus is of course so much more impressive. Rule of Cool, as has been said before.

The ending left me with an odd aftertaste, too. I wonder if this was intended by the director as a "remember, folks, we won't change the system with just a single incident".

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 01:46:40 PM »
saw the film the other week, thought it was a bit of a mess. too many different ideas/stories shoe-horned in for me. It seemed they either needed to do a longer film or more than one, and have tried to put it all in one. enjoyable enough with some nice designs, but overall probably only a 5 or 6/10.

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2013, 04:30:06 PM »
I like what you did to that robots, maybe I'll use that on mine too.
Far less active than I used to...

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2014, 06:40:50 AM »
Hey Westfalia Chris,
So i have finally got to see Elysium a few days ago for the first time. Have to say i liked it.
With that i recalled this project and was wondering if there had been any significant progress in the past half a year or so? So did you ever finish the project? Get any more droids done? Maybe a VIP shuttle and the gold droids you mentioned earlier done to pit Max and the boys against in a small skirmish? Got anything new to add that you may have forgotten to add? Inquiring minds wanna know. OK maybe just me but i post in hopes others may pressure you into producing. :-)

Grimm

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2014, 07:34:38 PM »
No progress, I am afraid. Lack of interest in my circle and myself drifting away towards Fantasy (with a 2000AD intermezzo) in the second half of 2013 meant I did finish two bots in police colours (although I haven't yet taken piccies. Also, since I found the Mark Evans mercenaries I intended to use, I didn't paint any for that faction, too.

Lack of interest, basically, with the movie fading towards the back of my mind quite quickly after the initial spectacle. I must say that apart from the two Hobbit movies which I saw in December 2013 in short sequence, nothing really motivated me to do some painting, and what with my new job and finding a decent-enough flat to rent, I'm not exactly pounding out the figures at the moment. Most energy goes into Fantasy to strike the iron while it's hot.

I may return to it as part of my overarching "Near Future" meta-project (incorporating cyberpunk stuff, Foundry Street Violence, Planet of the Apes, Judge Dredd and Fallout as sub-projects), but I cannot guarantee that Elysium will make a proper return. Not enough long-term motivation in it.