Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 04:33:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697703
  • Total Topics: 118854
  • Online Today: 620
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Returning To SuperHero Adventure Games  (Read 14011 times)

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
Returning To SuperHero Adventure Games
« on: September 08, 2013, 08:05:18 PM »
Morning,

I just joined up on this site [recommended by a mate on another forum] As I am thinking about getting back into a Superhero game for myself ad my two kids [Lad is 5 and daughter is 7]

I played Heroclix way way back in the day but want to try something different.

So I have heard about the SuperSystem Rule set and wondering what is it like? will it be easy to play for the kids? can I make up any Super I like? are there options for minions?

and what scale is used mostly 28mm or 15mm? and if I go down the 15mm path who makes minis?

I play BGK [15mm], BGO [15mm] All Quiet on the Martian front [when we get it in December 15mm] and the a few board games that are in 28mm scale.

Glad I found this site looking forward to getting this game up and running...

Cheers
LGW

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Returning To SuperHero Adventure Games
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 11:50:34 PM »
Hey, Supersystem 3 is  a great game system, for your younger kids, it may be tough to teach that. What may be better is to step them into gaming like this father did with his yungin's

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=55333.0

It is a very cool approach and kid friendly....as well as educational.

As for scale, I see you are a 15mm fan, but there isn't that much in 15mm out there. I like 28 myself as it gives a broader range of companies to play around with. I use a variety of Reaper Chronoscope, Converted/repainted Heroclix, Superfigs and Crossover Miniatures (which I have to say are my favorite due to the head options with the figs)....

Feel free to keep dropping ideas, but I would contact that gent in the link above and get his home made system for kids....
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 12:05:29 AM »
Thx styx

I bought the SuperSystem3 rules today and will be going through them over the coming weeks.

Also sent a msg off regarding the other rule set you mentioned will see how they go.

I am thinking 28mm is the way I will have to go...trying to talk a company into making Some Chibi superheroes its early days but they are warming to the idea just can't see it happening for some time.... but until then I'll look around for some heroes and villians to play with.

any good companies out there making affordable maps?[affordable not going to cost me $30USD to send when I only paid $3USD to buy it..yes I know New Zealand is on the butt of the world and far away but postage hurts my mini addiction.] checked evilbay for Heroclicx maps just not sure on what one to get.

any advice?

LGW

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 12:13:32 AM »
Thx styx

I bought the SuperSystem3 rules today and will be going through them over the coming weeks.

Also sent a msg off regarding the other rule set you mentioned will see how they go.

I am thinking 28mm is the way I will have to go...trying to talk a company into making Some Chibi superheroes its early days but they are warming to the idea just can't see it happening for some time.... but until then I'll look around for some heroes and villians to play with.

any good companies out there making affordable maps?[affordable not going to cost me $30USD to send when I only paid $3USD to buy it..yes I know New Zealand is on the butt of the world and far away but postage hurts my mini addiction.] checked evilbay for Heroclicx maps just not sure on what one to get.

any advice?

LGW

Another cheap soure of figs, but out of scale but may be good for the kids can be found at Target, they make a superheroes mixed suprise bags that sell fairly cheap....

Wow, NZ....wow that is painful to ship to....did some dealings there....only advice is to buy in bulk to save on shipping for maps....I would look at downloadable maps....there are a few companies out there that do paperstock card cities and such....just google or sweep the forums, if you can't find anything let us know, I will see if I can post links later, making dinner right now....

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 12:24:49 AM »
will continue with my research into the rules and for maps. prefer squares as the kids can count them when they move rather trying to figure out a tape measure.

thx for the help

LGW

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 03:58:39 AM »
http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php?view=product&product=140

The city streets has a grid option you can select to add squares....buy that and a few of the buildings, put a copy on a thumb drive and take it to a printer near you like a Kinko's or something and have them print the stuff out on cardstock....just enough to make a 3x3 or 4x4 table is all I can imagine you could use...

Here is another, I think they are a bit cheaper and have grids on them also....they also have a McDooms fast food building, a real scream!

http://www.fatdragongames.com/fdgfiles/modern

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 04:25:03 AM »
Both sets look interesting

Worldworks looks real nice spent an easy 20 minutes going through all of the goodness on there.

Love to get some of those kits but the price of Printing here is expensive. some places charge $2.50NZD per A4 sheet.
and when you got to print of a whole heap of them it gets ridiculous.
might get one pack soon though and see what the actual damage is going to be I could get it printed every so often until I get enough terrain made...

thx heaps for the links.

LGW

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 01:24:13 PM »
Both sets look interesting

Worldworks looks real nice spent an easy 20 minutes going through all of the goodness on there.

Love to get some of those kits but the price of Printing here is expensive. some places charge $2.50NZD per A4 sheet.
and when you got to print of a whole heap of them it gets ridiculous.
might get one pack soon though and see what the actual damage is going to be I could get it printed every so often until I get enough terrain made...

thx heaps for the links.

LGW

No problem, I guess the big thing is sit down and figure out if the maps+postage would be cheaper or would the downloads+printers be cheaper in the long run.

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 04:55:32 PM »
some times getting the pre-printed version and sending it can actually work out cheaper in the long run.

But having the ability to continually print stuff off can be good... just depends on the deal I can get with the printer company...

Will have a think about it as its early days... still need some supers first.

LGW

Offline chrisw

• Librarian
    • project Z
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 07:29:21 PM »
Where in nz are you? I've got two of the same herocliks map and you can have one if you want it?

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 07:49:54 PM »
Where in nz are you? I've got two of the same herocliks map and you can have one if you want it?

Te Aroha (3320)
let me know the cost of postage
Will msg you my address.

LGW

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 10:19:41 PM »
For maps and paper scenery, you should take a look on local print stores (for commercials) and copy stores (for school/students). The prices are often cheaper than you may think. 

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 04:45:13 AM »
For maps and paper scenery, you should take a look on local print stores (for commercials) and copy stores (for school/students). The prices are often cheaper than you may think. 

The commercial printers here in New Zealand require a minimum amount which usually will be loads more then I need or ever want...

We don't have student print shops normal print shops offer a student discount but you require I.D
And I am no student.

Plus I live rural and we have only one print shop that doesn't really do any discount. (Even if he discounted it would be more expensive then a big city print shop.)

My only option is to travel about an hour to the closes city and get some stuff printed.
I deal with it but some times it is a drag.

LGW

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 10:36:07 PM »
S3 is a very good game, but might be a bit heavy for your little ones. I bought BASH (Basic Action Super Hero) Ultimate rules, originally an RPG but with very little work you have a fine skirmish system. Very easy rules and lots of options, I play it with my Heroclix collection which works fine for me.

Card buildings can look very nice on the table. They can be a bit heavy on print cartridges but I've done them myself and in addition, there are loads of free printies out there.
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 11:10:26 PM »
I have done some paper buildings quite happy with them and then the wife put her foot down so no more printing at home... I might try some printing at work... they have a printer that takes card stock but it will have to done on a night shift when there are o managers about..

I was wondering would the Supersystem3 be able to make up characters like:
Buffy, Angel, Spike, Xander, Willow, etc?
Castiel, Dean and Sam Winchester [Supernatural]?

As my wife would actually play a game if I could make squads of these.

Cheers
LGW