Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:52:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Plane Library  (Read 155419 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Pulp Plane Library
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 10:52:40 AM »
Simply too pulpy for its own good; the Autogyro from the Lupin III anime movie. I never saw it, but I once saw the kit on the web and wanted it badly, as its Art Deco lines are just awesome.

However, as it turned out, the manufacturer has long since folded and this kit is no longer produced and hence hideously expensive. A couple of weeks ago though, I managed to bag one on Ebay for € 15,-, which was a steal! It's being built right now. very simple kit (wings and fins are all one-piece affairs, making them very hefty and sturdy) and I'm really enjoying myself with this kit:

I fell in love with the lines of this plane; the Heinkel HE-70. Originally a mail plane, used as a light bomber by the Condor Legion in Spain and eventually evolved into the well known HE-111. Was built with a Magnesium airframe, which was light, but also quite volatile when hit. ::) Still; those lines are just masterful.

AZ models made a limited run plastic kit in 1/48, which I still covet. Might not be too versatile for use in-game, but it's just one of those wannahaves:

And then the Focke Achgelis Fa 223 Drache; I have two of those in WIP status, to fly my Ahnenerbe combat teams around the world to harass my player group as they pulp their way around ancient sites. Models are Special Hobby 1/48 ones:

I find VTOLs to be very useful on the table, as they are not just eyecandy and/or objectives, but can also be used to fly around...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 07:40:33 PM »
This is a cracking resource - bravo gents!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 05:21:53 PM »
Just bumping this to ask - have we got a list anywhere of what pulp planes DO exist in 1/56 or 1/48? 1/72 planes can work, but I think they really do look way too small.

It's sort of funny that my figure and vehicle scale is closer to 1/48, but my building scale is much smaller. The larger the real-world item, the smaller it winds up being on the tabletop.

I would really like to look at 1/56 or even 1/60 planes as they seem the best compromise between not taking up too much play area and not being so small that they're unbelieveable, but there's almost no airplane models in those scales. I guess when I get around to building a plane, I might just wind up getting paper plans and recaling them for scratchbuild, though I don't know much about doing that sort of thing at all.

Maybe beggars can't be choosers, but I'm not sure there are any 1/56 models made period. Pretty much any widely used transport built prior to 1933 would work - Boeing 80, Ford Trimotor, Fokker F.VII, Junkers Ju 52, etc. 

As a small side question, has anyone ever built the Fokker F.VII trimotor (my preferred Pulp plane) 1/72 kit or have pictures of it next to minis?

I know Dave had a 1/77 Ford trimotor coin bank (which is a different plane, but is similar), but crucially I think my larger minis would not fit under the wings of that model, which would be huge loss of play area.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 06:29:17 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 04:24:20 PM »
Lord Snapcase, I believe you were after a Macchi M33 in 1/48, the only one I know of in that scale is by Brach Model (I'm afraid I don't know its current availability).

Brach Model BM-W04

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 05:00:26 PM »
Thanks, Ballardian, I shall start tracking one down.  ;D

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 05:26:35 PM »
Started searching and no M33 yet, but I found a 1/48 Macchi M5 on eBay and I had to buy it!

When it arrives I'll post a picture of the kit.

(and when I came back to this thread I saw the Focke Achgelis Fa 223 Drache and I had to have one of those as well!)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 05:57:34 PM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Peter@BattleScape

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 12:32:12 PM »
(and when I came back to this thread I saw the Focke Achgelis Fa 223 Drache and I had to have one of those as well!)

Milord....if you are still chasing up this lovely piece, I believe I have 4 or 5 of them.

'tis funny that I have just seen this thread as Mads and I have just built 4 planes for our airfleet and have another 20-30 kits to go, including a 1/48 Ju52 and a Catalina.  A number of flying wings both German and American are also waiting to be made.

Pete
BattleScape Military Books & Miniatures
www.BattleScape.com.au

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 01:44:59 PM »
Milord....if you are still chasing up this lovely piece, I believe I have 4 or 5 of them.

'tis funny that I have just seen this thread as Mads and I have just built 4 planes for our airfleet and have another 20-30 kits to go, including a 1/48 Ju52 and a Catalina.  A number of flying wings both German and American are also waiting to be made.

Pete

Peter, I wasn't very clear about the Drache. I ordered an M5 and a Drache yesterday. However, if I feel the need for another one after I've made the first one I will drop you a PM. Many thanks for your kind offer.

The kit I'm looking for now is made by Brach, the 1/48 version of the Macchi M33, if you have one of those?

By the way, I have the civilian version of the Ju52 in 1/48 waiting to be made as well. It looks like a beautiful kit.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:47:08 PM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Peter@BattleScape

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 01:48:18 PM »
No worries...
The Ju is lovely but I am DREADING cleaning all that corrugated plating of the mold lines :o

Pete

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 01:51:42 PM »
Yes, it does look a bit daunting. I might save mine for when I retire! I'll be less stressed then!  lol

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 02:16:38 PM »
Somehow I missed this thread!  :o

Of course I want to contribute my multi-purpose amphibious plane: Grumman J2F "Duck" in 1/48 scale by Czech manufacturer Classic Airframes: http://www.internetmodeler.com/2001/july/first-looks/ca_duck.htm

I chose that one, because it is still relatively small, can transport some passenger and luggage and can travel over land and sea alike. That makes it useful for so many nice and pulpy scenarios on remote islands where naked dinosaurs and carnivore Amazons (or was it vice versa?) prey on daring explorers or each other...

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 02:20:11 PM »
No worries...
The Ju is lovely but I am DREADING cleaning all that corrugated plating of the mold lines :o

Pete

I know there is a die cast version in 1/48 as well as a civilian He 111...

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 02:46:25 PM »
That Grumman 'Duck' is superb. I love the way you've done the weathering, brilliant!  :-*

Love the name too.  lol

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 02:47:38 PM »
I know there is a die cast version in 1/48 as well as a civilian He 111...

Any idea where these treasures can be found?