Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 14, 2024, 01:34:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697414
  • Total Topics: 118829
  • Online Today: 527
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Secrets of the Third Reich using Chain of Command rules  (Read 4261 times)

Offline seldon

• Scientist
Secrets of the Third Reich using Chain of Command rules
« on: September 27, 2013, 10:51:04 PM »
So last Sunday I did a playtest of a scenario that I'll run on our upcoming wargames convention here in Austin.

I used my 28mm Secrets of the Third Reich miniatures and the game was played with the great new set of skirmish rules for WWII from TFL, Chain of Command...

Here are some pictures

url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/seldonmba/9968212626/][/url]
Untitled by Seldonmba, on Flickr

At the start of the game after the patrol phase was done the Germans had pushed one of their squads forward to capture a centric building but the Americans responded with intense fire from almost the full platoon and a .05 cal !!

Eventually as the Germans started to loose the firefight they had to pull back and the american infantry initiated flanking maneuvers on both sides of the table..

During the game the Americans were better able to execute their plan and maneuvered effectively. They were also lucky since one of their flanking fire teams was ambushed by an MG49 HMG but the german dice were insanely bad !!!

Towards the end of the game the Americans lost momentum and got stuck in firefights while one of their flanking teams had to stay inside a building they'd captured from the germans but could not abandon due to the covering fire from the MG49. On the other flank the other squad was ambushed and destroyed by an elite german scout team armed with submachineguns.

When it seemed that the germans might be able to pull a draw the american's succeeded with a final blow and the german platoon broke...

It was a fun game, I took good notes for the convention game and I think it will go well at Millennium Con here in Austin in November...

cheers
Francisco

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Secrets of the Third Reich using Chain of Command rules
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 04:25:24 AM »
Good looking game. Were the rules easy enough to pick up in the setting?
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 07:54:32 AM »
Lovely looking layout Seldon.

Where did you get those 'puffy' hedges? They look good.

Rolf

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 07:58:19 AM »
I just might check out those rules. Great set up guys.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 04:03:44 AM »
The rules are pretty sophisticated and very original in their mechanics. Nevertheless they are easy to learn, all my players were playing this game for the second time only and I plan to run the game at the convention with no experience required.

Adapting the setting to the rules is not difficult, I have the SOTR rules and I simply pick the elements from the rules and find the best way to adapt them to CoC... Of course SOTR is a very reasonable set of rules as well but Chain of Command is really a different kind of game when it comes to WWII skirmish so that is why I'm using it.

The hedges I bought on one of the past conventions here in Austin from someone selling terrain, I don't remember the company's name, sorry, but they are pretty standard build.

I would certainly recommend these rules, we are using them for WWII, both in 15s and 28s, I'm using them for W-WWII and I hope to use them for Falklands at some point soon..

cheers
Francisco