Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:59:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Any advice on sticking wire spears to white metal figures?  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Hildred Castaigne

• Scientist
Any advice on sticking wire spears to white metal figures?
« on: October 10, 2013, 06:30:42 PM »
Recently I was assembling some metal figures that had seperate wire spears using the superglue from GW.
While it could white metal together pretty effectively it just wouldn't form a bond with the wire spears.
Are there any glues or techniques that might be worth trying?

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
Re: Any advice on sticking wire spears to white metal figures?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 06:39:53 PM »
I make most of my spears from steel or brass wire (cos I don't like kit-supplied white metal ones!) and attach them by creating as good a mechanicaljoint as possible (closing up hands etc) then flooding with thin cyanoacrylate, all before priming/painting.

Over the years I've tried two-pack epoxy andold-fashioned contact cement as well, and CA has worked better than either.

If you were feeling really ambitious, low-temperature soldering might be the way to go! ;D
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

former user

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 08:57:12 PM »
have You tried rough sanding the spears at the joint? Pattex superglue is the best. if You can use two fixing spots

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 07:13:27 PM »
You might be getting some decent results with it, but GW superglue is widely regarded as one of the worst you can get. :p Dunno what other brands you can get 'where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always a song in the air', but even cheap pound shop/dollar store superglue is often better.

Second what Mitch says about a mechanical join. I still go by what I read from Ebob ages ago - the tighter and more flush the join, the stronger the grip of the superglue. Not so easy with the joint surfaces and casting of some minis, particularly widely-cupped hands and skinny wire spears. The trick is to file surfaces down stick some putty between the parts.
I don't know if it's better to seperate the parts immediately or keep them together as the putty cures. (latter can be trickier!) In any case the putty creates a mould negative and an extremely flush fit for the superglue to act on. Ebob recommends breaking components apart, gluing both sides of the cured putty filler, but that might depend on circumstances. Wire in a hand might be fine with one.

Offline Hildred Castaigne

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 02:33:56 PM »
This has been a great help! Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.
The first thing to try is a different type of glue and sanding the surface.
Then, if that doesn't work, it might be worth looking into the mechanical join.

If you were feeling really ambitious, low-temperature soldering might be the way to go! ;D
That would be ambitious, but guaranteed to work.
Hopefully it won't come to that!

You might be getting some decent results with it, but GW superglue is widely regarded as one of the worst you can get. :p
As bad as all that?
Somehow the only surprise there is that I didn't get a slagging for using it.  ;D

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
As bad as all that?

Standard answer on Warseer when someone asks "what glue?" or "what's wrong with my GW superglue?" :D

Somehow the only surprise there is that I didn't get a slagging for using it.  ;D

Weeeell. Not your fault what GW does with their glue. ;)