Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:41:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690500
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten: PDF Release  (Read 4579 times)

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten: PDF Release
« on: October 31, 2013, 06:36:17 PM »
Seeing as this is now actually available, thought I'd give the release its own thread:

After three years of public beta and extensive playtesting, the final edition of Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten is finally ready to be unleashed upon the world.  Based on the same mechanics as Strange Aeons, this standalone game of inter-cult strife is now available as a 110-page PDF rulebook from Uncle Mike's online store (http://www.strange-aeons.ca/umw-shop/).

For those as yet unfamilar, each player in VUK recruits their own nefarious cult to seek the favour of the darkest of masters.  As you attempt to rise to power and glory, you'll do battle with other cults along the way, accumulating all variety of eldritch resources and new allies to aid you.  A typical cult will contain 6-10 models, so while a little larger than Strange Aeons, this remains a skirmish game at heart and can be easily played in a spare hour on your kitchen table.

If you previously played the public beta edition of Kulten, you'll find a wealth of new content in this final release.  Along with revisions to the core content, there's an additional cult (the foul Dunwich Folk), Territories to offer considerable variety to your post-game experience, random events, Threshold interventions, and last but not least a fresh (and very stylish) look with a wealth of brand new artwork.

Cult of the Black Goat members should note that this final edition is virtually identical to the version you received as part of your cult package, save the addition of some new artwork, a colour cover, and minor tweaks to some of the text (including a reward change for "The Chained Coffin").  We'll be sending out this new edition to you free of charge shortly, and the document will also be included with all new cult memberships.  If you're not a cult member and looking to buy the book, consider purchasing a lifetime membership instead: along with the Kulten PDF, you'll receive a spiffy t-shirt, newsletters with experimental rules and previews, and free miniatures!

Today also marks the release of the first two Favour Scenarios for Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten.  We'll aim to put at least one of these out every 6-8 weeks for the foreseeable future.  For now, take a gander at:

A final note: we've already received several questions about a printed edition of Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten.  At the present time, we have no plans to do a conventional print run - barring exceptional demand, this will remain a PDF-only product.  We can only have so many books in print at a time, and after much deliberation have elected to keep our resources freed up for other projects in the pipeline.

Offline necrocannibal

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu for President!!!
Re: Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten: PDF Release
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 08:59:30 PM »
Thanks for this release, it looks great. I was pleasantly surprised to find my name in the "special thanks" section, again thanks!
The Cult of the Black Goat Cultist No. 11

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Offline harleyface

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 10:02:05 AM »
Printed version,lalala,printed version,lalala,printed version.........
(Great to see a final version released!!)
But i have to touch my necronomicon :-)
Why no kickstarter(ks is directly from hell so would work perfectly.......)
Or make a survey here
I would pay for at least 2 copys in advance....
If im not alone
Everybody
Printed version,lalala,printed version..........

Cultist#83

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 01:40:48 PM »
I fully agree. Find out how much it will cost to print 100/250/500 and do a P100/250/500 preorder. Once the number gets hit, print them and ship them.

www.superflycircus.blogspot.com
Board Game Reviews And Social Commentary At Its Finest

Offline harleyface

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 01:46:09 PM »
Fully agree :-)
Printed version lalala
Printed version lalala
Everybody
Printed...........

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 02:51:14 PM »
Those are cool-as-Hallow'een scenarios! Boneyard! Yehaw!

Thanks lads that's some good work right there.

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 03:26:45 PM »
Thanks for this release, it looks great. I was pleasantly surprised to find my name in the "special thanks" section, again thanks!

We do love our cultists!  :D

Those are cool-as-Hallow'een scenarios! Boneyard! Yehaw!

Thanks lads that's some good work right there.

Much appreciated Peabody!  That Boneyard idea had been rolling (or is that rattling?) around in my head for three years, so I was glad to finally get it out of there in a functional form.

I'm not even going to get started on the downfalls of Kickstarter right now, in no small part because I've put a crapload of work into getting this thing ready over the past few weeks, which has left me tired, cranky, and liable to make comments I might regret.  Suffice to say that based on past pre-order numbers, a book-only campaign (and that's all we have the support materials for at present) might bring in enough money to fund an economically viable print run, or could just as easily fail altogether.  Unless of course someone feels like making a $3000 donation...

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 12:53:43 PM »
I'll commit to buying a printed version.   I would also pledge for it via kickstarter if you went that route.  I've pledged for non-gaming books on kickstarter a few times.

Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 01:54:34 PM »
I'd be down for two printed copies (I even picked up a second copy of SA that I got off eBay just to give to potential players.) PDF's are nice and all, and maybe it's an older guy thing, but I like books and I'd like VUK to join my other collectibles in the Cabinet of Cthulhu. I will be joining the Cult next pay regardless, but it would still be nice.
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 06:22:56 PM »
I already picked up my copy and printed it out
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous