Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 02:10:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Heaviest Weapon on a Technical?  (Read 4050 times)

Offline AngusPodgorny1969

• Bookworm
Heaviest Weapon on a Technical?
« on: November 14, 2013, 06:30:28 PM »
I've seen images of "technicals" mounting heavy machine guns and even 23mm AA guns.

But whats the heaviest weapon one can mount on vehicles such as heavy duty pick-up trucks and "jeep" style vehicles?  I'm especially curious about weapons in these categories:

- heaviest autocannon (23mm? 57mm?)

- heaviest mortar (60mm?)

- heaviest recoilless rifle

I know weight isn't the only issue here and recoil plays a big role.  I can't imagine a 120mm mortar being mounted in a pickup truck since even wheeled AFV suspensions such as the Stryker need to be specially designed for heavy mortars.

former user

Re: Heaviest Weapon on a Technical?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 06:46:25 PM »
basically any medium artillery has been mounted on trucks.
Mortars are different because only the heaviest have even rudimentary recoil systems. AA and AT are less of a problem, heavy artillery would be.
On the other hand, You were asking about heavy GP, light trucks and pickups, so I'd say You can mount everything that finds enough space on top. Mounting mortars doesn't make much sense, since these are quick to deploy anyway -
unless You are after mechanized cavalry, which is a very special role

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 07:02:36 PM »
Thanks!

I ask about mortars since I saw a photo of a Libyan technical mounting a light mortar and I know they were used in WWII. 

Since we're primarily talking modern "Small Wars" combat I'm not worrying about heavy arty.

What are your thoughts on 81 and 120 mm mortars since,as you note, they lack recoil mechanisms?  Seems it would be too much for suspension of a typical heavy duty pickup truck.

former user

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 07:30:10 PM »
81 mm would be OK, they were mounted inside light halftracks by the Wehrmacht.
120mm have a rudimentary recoil system, but they are rather large and the firing platform would be anyway too large for a pickup.

Apart from that, mortars are saturation and supression  barrage quick firers and need a lot of ammo, so You better leave it at 81mm, lest You end up with a whole platoon ...
120 mm count as medium artillery already and are used at regimental or at least battalion support level if I recall it correctly.
Nothing for the heavy/support section of a company or platoon...

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 07:41:15 PM »

former user

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 07:47:11 PM »
why not? pretty insane and cool  o_o

Offline Quirkworthy

• Scientist
  • Quirkworthy
    • Quirkworthy
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 08:31:53 PM »
How about a BMP turret  :o

http://defensetech.org/2011/06/13/libyan-rebels-mount-apc-gun-turret-on-pickup/

I think that given that example, the answer to the original question on what is the heaviest weapon you can mount on such a vehicle is all down to how much duct tape you have. These guys will try anything.

former user

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 08:53:30 PM »
impressive documentation, THX for sharing

but recoil is still an issue for axles

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 09:24:03 PM »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 09:26:58 PM »
but recoil is still an issue for axles

But not really an issue if you don't own the truck and don't intend to return it to its rightful owner.

I sincerely doubt that the people using Technicals would ever consider these matters to be honest. In civilian use they are routinely overloaded and poorly maintained in any case, so the size of the weapon is not really the limiting factor here.

However there would be no limits on the size of recoilless rifles used, for obvious reasons and even 107mm weapons are routinely mounted on Jeeps. Otherwise it's trial and error, combined with the practicalities of actually loading the weapon onto the vehicle.

:)

former user

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 09:40:27 PM »
I can't know what the libyans consider, I only know that a broken axle in the desert makes pretty thirsty  ;)
I never was thrown off a pickup by recoil that broke poor welding however  :)

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 11:14:30 PM »
But not really an issue if you don't own the truck and don't intend to return it to its rightful owner.

I sincerely doubt that the people using Technicals would ever consider these matters to be honest. In civilian use they are routinely overloaded and poorly maintained in any case, so the size of the weapon is not really the limiting factor here.

However there would be no limits on the size of recoilless rifles used, for obvious reasons and even 107mm weapons are routinely mounted on Jeeps. Otherwise it's trial and error, combined with the practicalities of actually loading the weapon onto the vehicle.

:)

Technically, (HAH! PUN INTENDED!), this question applies to our home grown modern/near future rules which are set in 2066 after the Fall of Global Civilization. So imagine some former regular soldiers and local civilians raid national guard base for all manner of kit as they fight other "war bands" for food, water, medicine, etc.  My kids and I like to use whatever figures tickle our fancy but with a modicum of reason.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 03:28:56 AM »
Technicals did you say.I am the owner of moderna african bushwars yahoo group,and there is a whole album dwevoted to it.If it fits ,it sits.   http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/ModernAfricanBushwars

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 10:04:29 AM »
I wouldn't think you'd need to go beyond recoilless rifles and AA guns, since those things could destroy almost anything at their effective ranges (given most of these dudes would be limited to the MK1 eyeball!). I think you can have mini rocket artillery mounted on them. S&S do a rocket launcher for the back of a technical in 20mm.

However I'm sure people would try anything within reason, though doesn't mean its always successful; plenty of stories of Libyans blowing themselves up. Best one was a few where they put the ammo for a recoilless behind the actual weapon itself.