Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:12:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: modern warfare solo ruleset ?  (Read 5692 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
modern warfare solo ruleset ?
« on: November 16, 2013, 11:28:18 PM »
Hi,

As some of you know, I'll soon play OPEX, a french modern combat skirmish game, oriented on french forces contemporary "assymetric" actions. I'll play it with my brother, I hope one day by months...

But in the mean time, do you know any game, including french modern list, allowing interesting and challenging (campaign and scenarion driven) solitaire game ?

thanks

Offline Diceplague

• Librarian
  • No, human... I´M power, knowledge is doom!
    • Diceplague Wargame Blog
Re: modern warfare solo ruleset ?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 11:41:56 PM »
I suggest you to take a look on www.twohourwargames.com and take a look. They have the best solo rules for almost any kind of solo wargames IMHO, and you can even play coop with your brother (or against each other it it suits you both). I think  i´ve read somewhere about NUTS been used to modern warfare.
"Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas."
http://diceplague.blogspot.com.br

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 07:11:46 AM »
FNG are Two Hour Wargames Vietnam rules, based on the Nuts! system. It's designed for asymmetric warfare... but obviously you will have to do some modification to make it fit modern French forces. Nevertheless the framework is there, the principles are the same and you can lead your platoon through a 'Tour of Duty' in whatever far-flung hell-hole the CFT has despatched them to.

Follow Diceplague's link and you can find a stripped-down free set of the core THW rule engine to try out. If you like how that works, you will love the rules themselves.     

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 10:56:25 AM »
I should have noticed "a ready to use ruleset"  lol

I already have bought plenty of THW games (ATZ, WHL, WHAA, RRTK, LTL, 5150NB...). They are great for each style they adress.

But I suck at creating custom rules, or adapting existing ones  :-X And to be honest, it's one of the rare things in our hobby I hate :  creating or modifying rules  lol

I prefer to pay someone to do it  lol

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 01:19:33 PM »
Ambush alley/Force on force is eminently playable solo and solo rules have been posted in the appropriate website ( http://ambushalleygames.com/resources/downloads/31-extras here because linking it is easier done than said  :D )

Arrigo
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 04:10:03 PM »
Thank you, but it says that it's for an old version of Ambush Alley. But ambush alley is not available anymore, correct me if I'm wrong ?  I just found Force on Force rulebook on their store. 

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 05:44:43 PM »
the Solo rules are perfectly useable with the current Force on Force. Force on force (new edition) is more or less a repackaged Force on Force plus Ambush Alley (with some specific rules for solo and WW2 games omitted). Basically the addition has some guidelines for the non player forces to act. The core rules have already solo game incorporated.

Arrigo

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 06:04:16 PM »
The core rules have already solo game incorporated.

THanks !  You're speaking of the current FoF rules ?

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 06:15:20 PM »
yes/oui/si/da/ja/hai  :D

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 06:45:16 PM »
Thank you a lot for your help !

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 07:04:00 PM by sundayhero »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 12:02:39 AM »
Last questions :

Are FoF scenarios compatible with any army, or do we have to play USMC for this, british SAS for that, etc... ?

As a french army player is there any advantage buying afghanistan FoF addon ? Same question for the scenarios about army choices.

I' m currently building a full french platoon + a dozen of special forces and vehicles, and about half hundred insurged (to be played both in Afghanistan and Mali, last contemporary french military actions).

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 04:41:28 PM »
well the scenarios in the basic books are sort of generic you can simply swap forces with too much troubles (except the one in Grozny I assume...). If you plan to go to A'stan (tabletop version of course), the Enduring Freedom suppelement is a must. While none of the scenarios has any french actions they are interesting on their own, you have a lot of special rules for Afghanistan, a quite well written comment on what was happening there (a tad too much Special Forces oriented IMHO but still valid and informative, the author is a journalist specialized on the subject, he is also appearing here at times). Beside that... the supplement includes also information on French squad and platoon organization and the description of some vehicles.

Arrigo

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 06:32:23 PM »
Thank you for your help. I'll probably add FoF and afghanistan addon on my christmas wishlist, then  lol

Today I ordered last vehicles and troops I need for my french forces. There will be some quite interesting conversion work on several french vehicles, especially ;)

Pics soon.  :D

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 11:40:39 PM »
Another question (I'm currently basing my minis). What is the typical insurgents unit (if any) in FoF ?

In my insurgent force (planned for Mali and Afghanistan warfare) I've got leaders, RPGs, RPKs, and "regular" insurgent with ak47 minis. I was thinking of converting some of them as regular AK47 insurgents, because I thought I had too much RPKs and leaders for the french game I plan to play,...But maybe not for FoF.

So before converting any mini...I prefer to ask (since Christmas tree FoF book is still a bit far  lol).

Last question, how much minis are typically needed for FoF game ?

I've got (or will receive soon) :

the french version of a complete platoon (around 40 soldiers, including 3 APC + 2 light armored "small humvee like" with crews,  instead of the 4th apc...I was bored to paint 4 similar APCs so I'll wait for a new vehicle release to complete the platoon), and around 16 special forces operators including 2 long distance .50 sniper teams in ghillie (+ one 4X4 VLRA SAS truck and one light 4X4 P4 SAS vehicle with full crews).

And about 50 insurgents (with about 10rpg, 7 or 8 leaders, 10 RPK, 2 to 4 (2 dragunov and 2 akm with scope) snipers and 2 technicals with MG).

Is it enough for interesting games ?

thank you !

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen