Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 10:15:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: using minecraft to generate wargame tables.  (Read 3165 times)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
using minecraft to generate wargame tables.
« on: November 18, 2013, 03:09:02 AM »
what the title says basically.
I have been thinking alot about the possibility of using the game minecraft and its wonderful random scenery generation to produce pre planed wargame tables.

If an area of say 60x40 blocks was marked out in the game and each block within that area were represented using a 1" cube of pink foam ,i feel that some amazingly intricate and natural looking tables could be built quickly and with minimal need for blueprints.

What do you fellows think? any potential in the idea?
hopefully i will get a chance over christmas to try the idea out, in the mean time, what do you chaps think? have i gone a little too far along the lazy bridge?
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: using minecraft to generate wargame tables.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 07:11:14 AM »
I don't think a board made of cubes would ever look 'natural'. Or did I miss a step?
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 06:57:06 PM »
If you look at large hex grid boards you can see how a natural look can be achieved using geometric forms. Think of it as 3d pixel art.

Edit.
Right, back at a real computer.

If you look at the central column in this image you can count it to be roughly 40 cubes high from the water level.
This translates to about 3 feet in 1 inch cubes.whilst this would create a giant piece of terrain it does demonstrate the way that the cubes could be used to create large and natural looking formations whilst still allowing miniatures to be placed on them without toppling over. edges could also be rounded off and vertical faces could be sculpted more to as to take the edge off.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 07:34:05 PM by nic-e »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 07:51:34 PM »
Hm! My wife was massively into Minecraft at one point and has a boatload of algorithms for generating interesting terrain.

The problem is implementation. Would you build each table manually with little cubes (and imagine sticking all those together by hand)? Have an entire table printed out in laser-cut sheets? Seems like either would be far too much work or else too expensive.

Doing things conventionally just seems much simpler.

The real benefit would be in the total modularity of the terrain, allowing for nigh-infinite game surfaces. But that already exists for people building game boards with Heroscape hex tiles.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 08:05:17 PM »
Hm! My wife was massively into Minecraft at one point and has a boatload of algorithms for generating interesting terrain.

The problem is implementation. Would you build each table manually with little cubes (and imagine sticking all those together by hand)? Have an entire table printed out in laser-cut sheets? Seems like either would be far too much work or else too expensive.

Doing things conventionally just seems much simpler.

The real benefit would be in the total modularity of the terrain, allowing for nigh-infinite game surfaces. But that already exists for people building game boards with Heroscape hex tiles.

The way i thought of is was to measure out the structure ,map it out on the board, then fill all the space with bulky meterial such as paper or foil and then build the cube structure around it.
personally i would use small block and stack them one by one (but i like tedious work ) . I would love to get my hands on a box full of heroscape tiles but finding them can be tricky, and this way seems to offer a fast and simple way to build large and good looking boards with minimal skill.

Offline S_P

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 10:09:08 PM »
I saw some great Battletech boards done in 3D with foam hexes, still geometric but very impressive.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 10:20:42 PM »
I saw some great Battletech boards done in 3D with foam hexes, still geometric but very impressive.

Some of the battletech boards on the web were what got me thinking about this. (that and watching alot of tobuscus playing minecraft when i should be doing work)

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 11:22:37 PM »
Some of the battletech boards on the web were what got me thinking about this. (that and watching alot of tobuscus playing minecraft when i should be doing work)

I did some BattleTech hills for the offical mapsets some time ago:

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 11:27:06 PM »
I did some BattleTech hills for the offical mapsets some time ago:

Those look great. I just enjoy having ALOT of height in my games ,and since i play using standard fantasy minis squares seemed a better choice, and so using minecraft to map out the board or just randomly create it seemed the next step.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 11:56:44 PM »
There was a FANTASTIC set of Mechwarrior hex terrain done by a fellow on Terragenesis. But they weren't modular at all, other than the fact that the larger boards were in 4-6 parts which could be reconfigured.

http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7454lp=95426

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 12:19:31 AM »
There was a FANTASTIC set of Mechwarrior hex terrain done by a fellow on Terragenesis. But they weren't modular at all, other than the fact that the larger boards were in 4-6 parts which could be reconfigured.

http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7454lp=95426

I was looking at that exact bard yesterday when checking if anyone had done a similar idea.really is a great looking piece of terrain.