Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:55:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Stockade in the Early Americas  (Read 6583 times)

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Stockade in the Early Americas
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 09:37:23 PM »
What would you like to know about the game?

An indication of how you've handled the different characters of the combatant groups would be interesting. For instance, what distinguishes one of Rogers rangers from a mission indian in the expansion? While both fight in a similar manner, how do you reflect the differences between the two? 

Thanks,
CS

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 12:24:12 AM »
The Indian archetypes have better close combat abilities, but access to the bow. Given the painfully slow reloading rates in Gloire, this counts as a significant advantage in terms of firepower. The Rangers are slightly better in the firearms and shooting abilities. But yes, both groups have access to a good selection of abilities for moving around the woods, with the Indians better on that account (or getting access to the really good skills at Grades 1 and 2). The Indians have a good supporting Grade 2 Shaman, and a Grade 3 Native Chief with good non-combat skills. The Rangers are a bit more one-dimensional for combat, and woodland combat at that.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 04:45:47 AM »
Pete, I'd like to add the following questions:

1) How have you handled the predominance of guns in this era? Gloire is clearly focussed on close combat and duels, but I think in the 18th century no one went to war without some kind of long range weapon. Any new mechanisms borrowed from .45 Adventure?

2) Will there be an option for fielding larger forces of, say, half-grades? I think of movies like Last Mohican or The Patriot (too late, I know), where some heroes are slaughtering whole companies of ordinary soldiers. For me European Line Infantrymen are the salt in those conflicts.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 10:41:41 AM »
2) Will there be an option for fielding larger forces of, say, half-grades? I think of movies like Last Mohican or The Patriot (too late, I know), where some heroes are slaughtering whole companies of ordinary soldiers. For me European Line Infantrymen are the salt in those conflicts.
I'll field this one.  :D

There are no half grades introduced in Among the War Parties (as the Grade 1s use the 45A half grade stat line). However, I am toying around with a mechanic for squads of from 2-10 models. It will be a simple set up so that you can field two units of 5 woodsmen led by a stalwart hero. Once I have it worked out, I'll post it over on the Speakeasy for free download.

Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 11:21:27 AM »
Pete, I'd like to add the following questions:

1) How have you handled the predominance of guns in this era? Gloire is clearly focussed on close combat and duels, but I think in the 18th century no one went to war without some kind of long range weapon. Any new mechanisms borrowed from .45 Adventure?

No, no changes to the operation of guns from Gloire - which means if you fire a pistol or rifle you need to take a full action to reload.

While it's true by the 1700s firearms had gotten reliable enough to equip armies, the frontier was still a place where combat usually came down to knives, clubs, tomahawks, and bayonets. A European army of regulars might be counted on to line up and fight in ranks early in the SY/F&IW, but they quickly adapted to the reality of enemies who hid behind trees and charged reloading ranks when fighting in the woods of North America.

Whereas fencing is a refined, almost scientific approach to one-on-one combat, a knife fight is a faster, more brutal affair. Some rules have been added to get a feel for this desperate kind of fighting. It makes a strong but interesting contrast to the swashbuckling feel of Gloire.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 01:07:03 PM »
Thanks to you both. Sounds interesting. Can't wait to lay my hands on the supplement.  ;D

Offline Gallowglass

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 12:17:52 PM »
This does indeed sound very good.
 :)
One question - is Among the War Parties intended to be a stand-alone game, or will you need a copy of Gloire to use it?
Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 12:24:55 PM »
One question - is Among the War Parties intended to be a stand-alone game, or will you need a copy of Gloire to use it?

It's a supplement, but like the other Gloire supplements (okay, supplement) you only need the free demo rules to make it stand on its own.

Maybe if you like it well enough you'll like Gloire, too?  :D

Offline Gallowglass

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 02:11:58 PM »
Maybe if you like it well enough you'll like Gloire, too?  :D

I already like the .45 adventure stuff, just I don't (as yet) own any swashbucklers -
I'm sure I'll like Gloire just fine though!

I have a bunch of Conquest Miniatures F&IW y'see, and wanted a skirmishy-roleplaying set of rules for playing games withh little groups of 'em, dontcha know.... ;)

Offline Gallowglass

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 02:59:17 PM »
Okay.

I'm an idiot. ;D

I never realised there was a demo of Gloire available.

There are times when I shouldn't be allowed out unsupervised............. o_o