Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 07:58:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694514
  • Total Topics: 118612
  • Online Today: 576
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Out of Action  (Read 3310 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Re: Out of Action
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 12:40:12 AM »
Thanks chaps,means a lot.

I'm perfectly well,physically anyway. My father died,we were very close and I feel,well I feel lost without his presence.It has been a rough 18 months,my mum died last year,my cat in April,I need a break from myself...Almost. I guess this is just self pity and the forum is not the place for that.

Self-pity?  No, a normal feeling in loss of loved ones.  A friend of mine retired early (minimum IC retirement requirements to be with her 15 years older partner (both married before, she was grandma "insert first name" to his Grand-kids.)  He was dead about 15 months later.  Recently she passed the first year mark of grieving and can now meet each holiday/birthday/anniversary prepared to not go to pieces completely.  She had a really good support network, lots of counseling (through the mortuary company strangely enough - or perhaps not so strangely,) and 'their" dog (something he was initially tepid towards but was won over by the little guy.)  

It takes time, for many people the first year is a pendulum and stability only comes consistently after that (and no guarantees you will be "back to normal" 100% of the time in any time frame people outside the experience understand.)  

My 15 years in nursing prepared me marginally to lose both parents (one to iatrogenic causes and the other after a long time of Alzheimer's to basically multiple body systems failing pretty much simultaneously.)  Sometimes memories still rush in when a  phrase or event triggers some recall.  I guess all those years seeing the world at it's worst while working for the DOD and IC keeps it in some form of perspective.

I also credit my faith as sustaining me at various times in the process but won't go there on this forum.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Out of Action
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 09:30:27 AM »
My condolences. This must be a very trying time for you, and I thank the contributors to this thread for their measured response.

Unfortunately, this kind of topic is beyond the intended thematic scope of the General Wargames board. I have deliberated long and hard and have come to the conclusion that, with regard to maintaining a clear line, I should lock this topic until further notice.

It gives me no joy to do this, and I wish to stress it is not out of disrespect to any aspect of this discussion.

Sincerely,
Chris