Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:53:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690582
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 728
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Post-Apoc book recommendations?  (Read 11033 times)

Offline Stepman3

• Scientist
    • http://stepman3.blogspot.com/
Re: Post-Apoc book recommendations?
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2014, 05:59:49 PM »
I think Rawles was trying to warn us of giving up our rights as citizens and giving over control to the UN. Many nations that belong to the UN lack the Americans sense of whats right and wrong due to their own nations issues. The moment we let the UN or our own country dismantle our armed forces or disarm us as US citizens we are inviting trouble.

Offline Evilcartoonist

• Scientist
    • Carmen's Fun Painty Time
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2014, 06:33:32 PM »
Let's stay on subject here. Try not to let the thread fall into political bla bla.
(Though, I understand you're describing the author's views, this could degenerate fast.)

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2014, 08:10:34 PM »
I have two suggestions, Lights Out by... Frugal Squirrel! At least, that's where I found out a few years back as a free pdf. I believe it's an ebook on Kindle now as well. It's much like One Second After in that it's post EMP in the US. It's more adventure and how to than the other and lacks the political warning. It also seems to me to be where the other author got a lot of the plot points from.

The Emberverse series which starts with Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling. It's post "Change" which is the moment high energy technology stops working, skewing the law of energy conservation. It follows a few different groups and how they cope with the new world, and each other. It's a trilogy, and pretty compelling for all of the writer's quirks. There's a longer series following the children of some of the characters that we meet as youngsters in the original trilogy. The follow up series is more adventure/fantasy, and I gave up on it a couple of books in.

For all of his grandstanding in his books the Rawles' books are pretty good how to's, which is fascinating in its own right.

Offline Anpu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Life in the vault is about to change...
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2014, 08:32:06 PM »
Wool, Shift and Dust by Hugh Howey. Three books about life in post apocalyptic Silo built to preserve mankind and how the world ended etc.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2014, 09:58:12 PM »
Colson Whitehead's 'Zone One' is pretty good, though of the zombie apocalypse variety, deftly manages to avoid the usual zom-apoc cliches.

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2014, 10:30:22 PM »
Colson Whitehead's 'Zone One' is pretty good, though of the zombie apocalypse variety, deftly manages to avoid the usual zom-apoc cliches.

I have to second this one. It's a great take on the ZPoc genre.

Offline Laflin and Rand

• Scientist
    • Curses from the Workbench
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2014, 02:43:50 AM »
Dinner at Deviant's Palace by Tim Powers was a fun read with some interesting ideas.

Offline Halforc

• Assistant
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2014, 07:03:41 PM »
I read lights out by David Crawford when it was online, loved it so much I bought it on kindle eBook, can't believe I forgot to mention it!

Also own all the SM stifling emberverse books, agree that the early books were more PA than the later books. If you get chance read the fan fiction on his website there's a couple of stories on there that really deserve to be books in there own right, the Fire trilogy by Pete Sartucci stands out.

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2014, 02:07:25 AM »

Also own all the SM stifling emberverse books, agree that the early books were more PA than the later books. If you get chance read the fan fiction on his website there's a couple of stories on there that really deserve to be books in there own right, the Fire trilogy by Pete Sartucci stands out.

Awesome, thanks for the tip!

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
    • SBMiniguys Blog for all things OstFront
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2014, 08:01:56 PM »
Here are a couple more good, near future post-apoc:

1. The Old Man and the Wasteland, Savage Boy and The Road is a River by Nick Cole. $.99 ea at B&N/Amazon. The Old Man is really well written -- The Old Man is an original survivor from the Fall living at the edge of a community of scavengers who search for survival amongst the ruins must go on a perilous trek across the desert to find new pickings.

2. After: First Light by Scott Nicholson, a Solar event takes out modern society. Also an ebook. Similar in some ways to the movie Remnants about a suburban community trying to survive in the aftermath of a coronal mass ejection.

3. Ashes, by Ilsa Blick. EMP takes down society.

4. The Unit by Terry deHunt, a family trying to survive after the Fall, very much like The Road.

5. John Ringo has a new post apoc Zed series with a family surviving the Zeds by taking to the sea.

6. The classic Earth Abides by George Stewart must be mentioned, the grand daddy of post apoc and still a good read, survivors after a global plague
Play the game, not the players!
http://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
Author for THW/NUTS, Rebel Minis, HR Games