Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:31:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Daleks vs Cybermen any history?  (Read 6470 times)

Offline Germy

• Scientist
    • Germy.co.uk
Re: Daleks vs Cybermen any history?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 12:17:36 PM »
there was a rather cool wrap around cover on the magazine back in the day of a Cyber-Dalek space battle, I also remember in the comic strip something about a war.
Well I've found nothing after several searches relating to a Cyber-Dalek confrontation. Still can't belive they have never had a story of the Doctor stumbling into a conflict.
Would have been a great story, does the doctor help or just let them destroy eachother ...

Just watching Earthshock to get me in the mood to tackle Cybermen  8)
Forgot how big Cybermen were at that point. Davison was 6ft wasn't he? The Cyberman helmet towers above him.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 12:38:46 PM »
they always had tall actors for Cybermen, something BTD and most other ranges forget - trying to work out what I can do with the BTD Mk1 Cybermen I have to make them taller, I have a fondness for that design (oh and listen to Spare Parts if you haven't already)

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 12:42:02 PM »

Lee Sullivan - up there with Frank Bellamy for Who comic art.

Offline Germy

• Scientist
    • Germy.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 01:51:23 PM »
Oh that picture, yes did see it but failed to find any further info about it.
Spare Parts - yes got that already.

If I can make some more progress on my Cyberman I'll post up some pictures. Managed to find a suitable miniature for the body it is more 
robotic cybus looking, but I'm going to add bits to it that conform to the Earthshock design. Don't know if it will work, best I'm hoping for is
for someone to see it and go "it's a Cyberman". First head I made seemed in scale but huge on the body I'd picked. Going to try a smaller version
and throw it open for discussion  8)

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 02:44:20 PM »
have you thought about the Crooked Dice Robo Minion heads?
and what body are you using?

always thought this worked, weapons too big though
https://sites.google.com/site/martinsmodels/the-miniatures/cybermen-from-eldar

Offline Germy

• Scientist
    • Germy.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 03:08:01 PM »
Had the Martins Models site bookmarked. Similar to what I'm aiming for but less dynamic poses.

I did see the Crooked dice heads but as ever this is on a budget, so wanting at least 40 Cybermen means doing quite a bit myself.
Going to see if I can duplicate the heads and other parts using moulds of that Siligum stuff.

As to the body, part of me wanted to do the big reveal once I'd finished but what the hell. I have gone for the body from
the old plastic Viridian (Void) miniatures. Easy to get from Ebay, I got enough sprues to make 40 at £15.55 including postage.
That works out at 39p each.
Got mine here
If you don't bother with the shoulderpads they look quite good. Bit of a wide leg stance but best option I found.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 03:32:06 PM »
before the Microuniverse ones came out, I was hacking up Heroclix Iron Man and Warmachine figures  lol

Offline Germy

• Scientist
    • Germy.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 08:48:03 PM »
before the Microuniverse ones came out, I was hacking up Heroclix Iron Man and Warmachine figures  lol
heard the iron man idea mentioned quite a few times. My problem is always that I want wargame armies of at least 40 figures.
If I was just doing who type scenarios then I'd get away with a dozen.

Just stuck the handlebars on the head of the first test. Still thinking too big.
I'll let it set then put up a pic.

Got to start work on the weapons as well. :)

Offline Germy

• Scientist
    • Germy.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 10:13:04 PM »
Here we go, bit of fiddling, looked better with small shoulder pads. Head looked massive without them.

May do another head, this one is a little on the rough side, and need to improve the chest piece a bit, but quite pleased with it.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 01:24:29 PM »
Having a bit of trouble remembering, but, even in the recent series, wasn't the Dalek-vs-Cybermen mostly 'behind the scenes'?

Also, there was another silver race in one of the earlier series (T. Baker?) that were battling Daleks, right? Android-y? Sorry, can't find them right now, but I recall they had personal teleportation, and 'hair' that might have fit in on Shado's Moonbase.

Doug
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 01:49:19 PM by The_Beast »

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 01:54:15 PM »
That's the one! Nothing about teleport, though. Must be thinking of someone else popping in and out...  ::)

Dreadlocks DO look a bit purple, don't you think?

Doug

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 04:21:25 PM »
you are possibly thinking of the Raston Warrior Robot which moved so quickly it seemed to disappear and reappear somewhere else... that took out a load of Cybermen in the Five Doctors.

Offline forrester

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 09:50:56 PM »
The confrontation between Daleks and Cybermen in "Doomsday" was a major event for fans precisely because this was a long-awaited "first". A little one-sided, unfortunately.
However the two races clearly recognised and hated each other, so it is entirely plausible to assume previous off-screen conflicts.
My own Cybermen are either 1960's "Invasion" style from Black Tree or the new types from Microuniverse. I wish I had more of both.
The Doctor Who Adventures magazine periodically re-issues their rubbery plastic figures including the less than inspiring chubby Cybermen.

Offline carrma

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 06:43:33 PM »
I read last night that they had considered making Cybermen and Daleks allies in the 3rd Doctor story "Frontier in Space".  They went with ogrons instead of cybermen in the end. So not only did they not square off in battle in the classic series, they were almost besties.  I'm glad they didn't go that route as I don't think make sense working together as they have totally opposite strategies of conquest. I think The Five Doctors was the only story both showed up in--or am I forgetting one?