Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:31:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) Across the Dead Earth - Pre-Orders Now Live! (UD 14/06/14)  (Read 54959 times)

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
Re: [KICKSTARTER] Across the Dead Earth - New Sculpt: Fatboy! (UD 22/1/14)
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2014, 02:23:12 PM »
Howdy, Ive just read this and have to admit I really like the sound of it. The drawing of the ruined tesco on the very first link you posted was fantastic.

I am reading the rest of the thread now and hopefully joining the kickstarter 'group' too  :)
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2014, 02:30:46 PM »
Re: the availability of weapons, I agree to an extent, though it should be recalled that this game is not immediately post-apocalypse, but 3rd generation. The reason it's an RPG7 and not a weapon ever issued to the UK forces is that we're not suggesting it was found or scavenged in the U.K. but traded with a Gang from elsewhere, it being a much more common weapon in the Mid/East European black market (apparently).
The Red Claw and Adam's Family are successful Gangs, they make money and they trade, not to mention killing other's and taking their weapons, so it only makes sense they are relatively tooled up! They are not "the norm", even in the small population of the game world, and Fatboy is the only character in the 6-7 factions to have an RPG - to him it's a status symbol as much as a weapon, it says he's dangerous, and that he's REALLY GOOD at being dangerous.

Other factions will be armed very differently. The Forset-kin gangs, for example, won't have any guns except shotguns. Shotguns are by far the most common throughout the designed factions so far and rifles, bows and crossbows will show up a lot. At the moment there's probably a few too many handguns and pistols in the rules, but on the other hand, there are a LOT of pistols owned illegally in the U.K. Well, there are her ein Birmingham anyway, I got sent home from work during the riots so that the police could come and do their forensic magic with a gunshot through our office window! 

I had forgotten it was 3rd generation - great justificaton on the RPG, and given that explanation I'm all for it. Also very interested to hear that certain gangs will have a 'unique' feel to their armaments 
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Adm Richie

• Librarian
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2014, 02:40:37 PM »
Howdy, Ive just read this and have to admit I really like the sound of it. The drawing of the ruined tesco on the very first link you posted was fantastic.

I am reading the rest of the thread now and hopefully joining the kickstarter 'group' too  :)

Thanks!
Yes, that picture is going to be the front cover of the rulebook!

I had forgotten it was 3rd generation - great justificaton on the RPG, and given that explanation I'm all for it. Also very interested to hear that certain gangs will have a 'unique' feel to their armaments 

Very much so, The State, for example, will have military grade equipment as they are formed from the survivors of the armed forces and police, the Engineers (aka the Brummies!) might have some botched/adapated/home made tech, and the Forest-Kin have pretty much rejected tech as described here: http://www.deadearth.co.uk/?p=292

Fatboy looks good - he clearly hasn't been missing any meals, but you also get the feeling that under the flab there's a slab of muscle like a hardwood table. Not someone you underestimate - more than once...

He's not averse to smashing that bottle over your head or putting his cigar out in your eye either!

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2014, 02:43:31 PM »
I bet you can make a sten gun at home, and the Anarchists Cookbook would become a bible in this age!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Adm Richie

• Librarian
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2014, 02:53:42 PM »
I bet you can make a sten gun at home, and the Anarchists Cookbook would become a bible in this age!

I should probably have a read myself! I'm wondering it paintball guns could be adapted to be a lot more lethal...although even then they would have serious range restrictions, but there must be millions of them lying around in warehouses...

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2014, 03:50:03 PM »
There was a thread somewhere on here with a link to homemade smg's in it.

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2014, 04:21:37 PM »
Another weapon that is quite popular is air/co2 weapons. I myself have a co2 revolver that I used to do target shooting at a club with. Its out of use now though and kept hidden away for obvious reasons.

Sorry if they have been mentioned previously...

Offline Adm Richie

• Librarian
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2014, 04:29:51 PM »
I've got one myself, I guess they could fire metal ball bearings rather than the poly ones? Stinging people to death would take forever... lol

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2014, 05:03:28 PM »
I've got one myself, I guess they could fire metal ball bearings rather than the poly ones? Stinging people to death would take forever... lol

True haha. Although there some quite powerful ones out there, plus if someone was to modify one? Lead pellets, especially the pointed tipped ones?

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2014, 05:14:09 PM »

You could try the same sort of thing with a paintball gun and frozen pellets.
That may well do a bit more than 'sting'...!
 ;)

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2014, 05:44:58 PM »

Wouldn't that shred the barrel from the inside pretty quickly? metal on metal rather than plastic on metal? Going to see an engineer friend (former REME) of mine later so will ask if I get the chance.

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2014, 09:28:10 PM »
An interview with the games creator by Carl at Hitting on a Double 1's blog.

http://hittingonadouble1.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/across-dead-earth.html

Offline Adm Richie

• Librarian
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2014, 09:28:21 PM »
And an AAR from one of the beta testers over here: http://lordsiwoc.blogspot.dk/2014/02/across-dead-earth-want-to-come.html

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2014, 11:50:06 PM »
Nice Batrep!  ;)

Offline msears

• Bookworm
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2014, 09:36:49 PM »
This game will be cool. Looking forward to the KS and some trades between us ;)