Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:10:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Re: Any tips on painting a fully armoured figure? The result  (Read 4888 times)

Online Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Any tips on painting a fully armoured figure? The result
« on: January 19, 2014, 10:30:28 PM »
I've got some dwarves to paint. They are armoured from head to toe. I tried undercoating in black then dry-brushing gunmetal but it looks horrible. Then I tried totally painting in gunmetal followed up by a black wash and that looks poor as well. Any better ideas gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Doug
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 03:26:13 PM by Doug em4 »

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
Re: Any tips on painting a fully armoured figure?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 11:56:59 PM »
I wolud say undercoat in black, drybrush in a gunmetal mixed with black then drybrush gunmetal, then light drybrush with a silver for highlights. Then use a black was to tone down and blend things abit. How about a pic so we can give more specific advice?

Papa Spanky

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 03:23:57 AM »
I actually burnish unprimed bare metal (slow speeds and easy pressure with a dremel wirebrush), then apply ink washes, usually Devlan Mud, or whatever its replacement is now.

Yes, this means that when I prime figures, I have to leave armour, swords, etc. unprimed - but I prime with a brush anyway. Sounds like you might not need to prime too much if they're armoured from head to toe though.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 03:44:19 AM »
Gun Metal is too dark. I would basecoat with a midtone metal like PP's Pig Iron. The wash with something like Army Painter Light Tone or the Secret Weapon Soft Black. Nothing too dark but enough to give it a decent shading coat. Then drybrush with a bright metal and then again with silver.

If you want it to really pop after that give it a light blue ink wash (cut the ink with some water) and then a quick highlight or another quick drybrush.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 09:29:00 AM »
I wolud say undercoat in black, drybrush in a gunmetal mixed with black then drybrush gunmetal, then light drybrush with a silver for highlights. Then use a black was to tone down and blend things abit. How about a pic so we can give more specific advice?

Papa Spanky

I do something similar, I use a very dry-drybrush on plate etc or scale. What can also work well is to pick out items like chain mail etc with branze/copper and gold to give a little more variation in metals

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 10:05:49 AM »
I usually put a metallic basecoat on over black undercoat and then use washes to get shade. Maybe the odd silver highlight here and there afterwards, depending on the effect I'm after.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 10:30:00 AM »
I usually put a metallic basecoat on over black undercoat and then use washes to get shade. Maybe the odd silver highlight here and there afterwards, depending on the effect I'm after.

Pretty much my approach too. Although I tend to be pretty generous with the silver highlights cos I like shiny armour!  ;)

Online Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 11:09:06 AM »
I think Papa Spanky's technique looks like the way for me to try first. I like the idea of mixing the gunmetal with black because the Vallejo gunmetal I'm using is way too bright - almost silver - I guess pixelgeek is using a different make if he finds it too dark.

I can't really try the burnishing of the unpainted metal route suggested by FramFramson 'cos they are already undercoated in black.

I like Lowtargog's suggestion of picking out bits in other metallic colours.

I'll also try another figure using the slightly different ideas of Cubs supported by Captain Blood - I've seen his armour painting up close and it was great but i don't think I could emulate it no matter what technique i used....!

Thanks for the tips, chaps.

Doug
ps @ papa spanky - nothing to show in pics yet apart from 1 figure that was undercoated, dry-brushed then over painted with a gunmetal and is now too embarrassed to show himself.

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 11:22:17 AM »
I use GW colours- black base coat spray, then mix chain mail and black, for the base coat, the highlight with just chain mail, then mix chain and mithryl silver for the next highlight- the final highlight just on the sharp edges is in just mithryl silver. If that looks too bright I use an Army Painter Strong tone wash but only in the recesses- not over the whole model, as that looks dirty.

Hope this helps

Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 12:08:06 PM »
Undercoat with matt black enamal, when dry rub it off with fine grade wire wool, job done  ;)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 11:19:02 PM »
- nothing to show in pics yet apart from 1 figure that was undercoated, dry-brushed then over painted with a gunmetal and is now too embarrassed to show himself.

no worries and nothing is too embarassing to ask for help on.
I do something similar, I use a very dry-drybrush on plate etc or scale. What can also work well is to pick out items like chain mail etc with branze/copper and gold to give a little more variation in metals
This. Quite effective with all armored figures to give variation.

Online Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 03:25:34 PM »
Well, I painted them in the end. I had to plough on because I needed a photo of the set painted.

I thought it was going OK but when I viewed the finished article, I didn't really think the dwarves, their armour especially, had worked very well.

I have no claims to be a painter althogh I quite enjoy it. Tell me what you think and how they could be improved:

Doug

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 07:09:27 PM »
I don't think there's anything wrong with that armour, it looks fine to me. I'm not trying to be kind and polite in not criticising, I really don't see anything amiss.

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 01:44:37 AM »

I have no claims to be a painter althogh I quite enjoy it. Tell me what you think and how they could be improved:
You painted these and enjoyed doing it. Congratulations, you're a painter.

These look really good actually for all your fretting over them. I think the bigger problem you have is not your paint skills, it those horrid dwarf sculpts, IMHO. But if you want some improvement suggestions...
The two guys in front have some sort of trim on the mail "skirt" trim it in brass, bronze or gold. Same with the plates on the waist of the first guy.(I forget what those are called)The middle guys beard blends with his armor too much. make him a redbeard or his beard more white. The hands seem to be wearing mittens. If there is no discernable plates on the gauntlets, paint them black or brown and make them leather.
You can paint well. The banner, bench and the robed guy proves that. I think you are getting stuck on what you think traditional armor should look like and its blocking you from letting you creativity flow.
Good luck!
Spanky

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 03:35:52 AM »
Job's a good 'un.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984