Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 03:46:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694510
  • Total Topics: 118611
  • Online Today: 570
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Lovecraftian Painting Circle! (LPC)  (Read 225863 times)

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
Re: The Lovecraftian Painting Circle! (LPC)
« Reply #225 on: February 22, 2014, 08:53:56 PM »
Wow  :o
Love the colours on that deep one!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #226 on: February 23, 2014, 08:55:45 AM »
Wow  :o
Love the colours on that deep one!
Ditto, very nice pj.  8) 8) 8)

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #227 on: February 23, 2014, 04:14:01 PM »
Thanks, guys.

LPC 61: Nightgaunt #1

"They made no sound at all themselves, and even their membranous wings were silent. They were frightfully cold and damp and slippery, and their paws kneaded one detestably.”
–H.P. Lovecraft, The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath

Here's a conversion I just finished up this weekend (except for final basing, I like to do that in bunches, for consistency)

Figure body is a plastic Dreamblade something-or-other (don't remember character name) with face cut off and a blank face/skull sculpted with GS. The tubular stuff on chest is GS covering up a huge scar with frankenstein-type stitching - figured that wouldn't seem quite right for a creature like this (and no mad doctor or surgeon would survive to get close enough to cut on this guy...).  I had to run a pin through the chest to keep the wings attached, so tubules also covered up the bent pin point. Pros and cons working with these hard rubber/plastic click figures...

Wings are a metal set from the bits box, no idea on the source. Had to pin feet to the base, as balance was way off due to weight of wings.

I'm pleased with how the head came out, it is asymmetrical in terms of lumps, and I added some fissure-like details on left side:

-pacarat

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #228 on: February 23, 2014, 10:03:59 PM »
Great conversion, pacarat, and I very much like the colouring of the Deep One! How did you work with Reaper Bones miniatures? Heard a lot of bad stories about problems with colour adhesion ...

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #229 on: February 23, 2014, 10:13:04 PM »
LPC 62: Hound of Tindalos
Reaper Miniatures, Sculptor K Williams

Because of their relationship with the angles of time, they can materialize through any corner if it is fairly sharp—120° or less. When a Hound is about to appear, it materializes first as smoke pouring from the corner, and finally the head emerges followed by the body. It is said that once a human becomes known to one of these creatures, a Hound of Tindalos will pursue the victim through anything to reach its quarry. A person risks attracting their attention by travelling through time.

Kind of based on that description I tried to create a smokey look. I don't think I pulled it off very well, but that's why we try new ideas and techniques.

It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #230 on: February 23, 2014, 10:22:11 PM »
LPC 62: Hound of Tindalos
Reaper Miniatures, Sculptor K Williams

Because of their relationship with the angles of time, they can materialize through any corner if it is fairly sharp—120° or less. When a Hound is about to appear, it materializes first as smoke pouring from the corner, and finally the head emerges followed by the body. It is said that once a human becomes known to one of these creatures, a Hound of Tindalos will pursue the victim through anything to reach its quarry. A person risks attracting their attention by travelling through time.

Kind of based on that description I tried to create a smokey look. I don't think I pulled it off very well, but that's why we try new ideas and techniques.

That is freaky! I love it  :)

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #231 on: February 23, 2014, 10:35:03 PM »
Great conversion, pacarat, and I very much like the colouring of the Deep One! How did you work with Reaper Bones miniatures? Heard a lot of bad stories about problems with colour adhesion ...

Thanks...

Here's my take on it all...

What i've read is that the bones need to be cleaned well prior to priming. I soak them in hot soay water for several hours, then give them a scrub with a toothbrush. Minimize handling with bare skin until primed.

They really need a good solid coat of paint/primer as a foundation. Then seal well with glosscoat/dullcoat after painting. I also mount figs on craft sticks or bases so I'm not handling fig during painting process.

Has worked so far, though the few figs i've done haven't been handled much. :)

-pacarat

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #232 on: February 24, 2014, 01:44:09 AM »

Thanks...

Here's my take on it all...

What i've read is that the bones need to be cleaned well prior to priming. I soak them in hot soay water for several hours, then give them a scrub with a toothbrush. Minimize handling with bare skin until primed.

They really need a good solid coat of paint/primer as a foundation. Then seal well with glosscoat/dullcoat after painting. I also mount figs on craft sticks or bases so I'm not handling fig during painting process.

Has worked so far, though the few figs i've done haven't been handled much. :)

-pacarat

There are plenty of tips on working with Bones on the Reaper forum by some very good painters including what and what not to use for primers and why you don't even need primer.
http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/forum/48-bones-miniatures-legendary-encounters/

Offline krieghund

• Scientist
  • Beyond all Reason
« Reply #233 on: February 24, 2014, 11:51:42 AM »
LPC 63 Poorly photographed Grenadier (?) Deep One

Yikes!!! Run Scoob.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:56:34 AM by krieghund »

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
« Reply #234 on: March 01, 2014, 12:39:51 AM »
LPC 64 West Wind 'Great Uncle Thulu'

Hi,

My first ever post to Lead Adventure Forum! A mini from the recent Empire of the Dead Kickstarter, I believe he should be available soon (don't think it was an 'exclusive'). While really it is 'Victorian' in vintage, I think a slobbering tentacle-man wouldn't update his wardrobe too often! Hopefully he meets the 'eldritch horror' criteria.

People speak in whispers of the mob boss Great Uncle Thulu. They speak of his joviality, out-dated dress style, and his love for fine cigars, but also of his ruthlessness. It is rumoured that none who have seen his face have kept their sanity for long, and the lucky few who still retain the capacity for speech tell of a bottomless stare peeking out from a writhing mass of tentacles. As he carves a bloody swathe through the crime empires' of the local mob bosses, one can't help but notice a particular pattern to his actions, that speaks of a deeper, darker time to come....

Cheers
The Baron
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 03:55:21 AM by Uncle Mike »

My Blog: http://returntologansworld.blogspot.com.au/
Empire of the Dead, Strange Aeons, Old-School Fantasy and Rogue Trader, 15mm ATZ

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #235 on: March 01, 2014, 02:34:37 AM »
Really nice work on the plaid..

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #236 on: March 01, 2014, 02:37:54 AM »
Great paint job! I've never seen this guy...will need to get him.  8)

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #237 on: March 01, 2014, 04:02:08 AM »
Nice job.  He is available as I just bought one in January.  lol
2024: B: 2220; P: 154; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #238 on: March 01, 2014, 05:57:25 AM »
That's AWESOME.

What a first post!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #239 on: March 01, 2014, 09:37:44 AM »
LPC 46
Hi !

I've just come across this so I thought I could show it here.
It's part of a series of photos made about 25 years ago...

Bye

Buntaro, a great mini, but may I point you to the rules page of the LPC?

•   This is not about showing your collection of already painted stuff, so please do post only newly painted miniatures. We’re not in a hurry, so take your time.

I think your post should be moved to the general CoC board where I am sure it will get the same appreciation.

(Jeeze, reading my own post I come off as a complete dick here...)