Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 01:08:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697619
  • Total Topics: 118847
  • Online Today: 528
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rogue GorkaMunda Weekend  (Read 4104 times)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Rogue GorkaMunda Weekend
« on: February 03, 2014, 08:11:35 PM »

theottovonbismark and I got together for some fun skirmish games set in the 40k-verse over the weekend.

We mainly used the Necromunda and GorkaMorka rule sets with some other stats coming from RT and 2nd ed.  The various scenarios and plots were driven by the somewhat oldschool 40k projects that we have been working on recently.  

It all worked out well and we had a few good laughs with improbable plots and superhuman incompetence being the order of the day.  It was about as far from tournament style 40k gaming as its possible to get

:)

I posted about the weekend on my blog along with some more photos.  It was good fun and plans for a follow up are already forming.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:15:30 PM by cheetor »

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Rogue GorkaMunda Weekend
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 08:22:40 PM »
Brilliant.  :D

That's just how I remember 40k!  ;D
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 08:42:28 PM »
I'm loving your style! Loads of great figures and ideas in there. I have that ALF figure as well. I must get him painted!

Offline The Rock

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 08:57:13 PM »
Nice!

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 08:57:27 PM »
Lovely! Are those rocks made of foam?
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 10:10:36 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  The session was good fun and I am hopeful that some of that comes across in the photos :)

Lovely! Are those rocks made of foam?

Thanks.  Yeah, they are made from second hand couch cushion foam/dead muppets. 

I had a whimsical urge to make durable, easily transported big chunks of Road Runner cartoon-esque "rock" terrain out of that material a few years ago, so I threw together a set of those in an afternoon.  I posted about it on my blog if you want more details.

They are a bit crude to be honest - if I were to make them again I might go for a brown rather than the somewhat ridiculous but entertainingly pulp sci-fi red that I used - but when the other terrain on the table has a bit more effort put into it I find that I dont notice how basic the big red rocks are.  They end up being a kind of backdrop for the games in some respects I think. They fit well enough with the pulp, Technicolor, cheap Star Trek sort of look that I am going for anyway.

that was just great. Beautiful table, amazing figs with many I have never seen before. Top class job.

Please tell me I can get those fishmen from somewhere.

Thanks.  The fishmen are old Laserburn models that Wargames Foundry found in their old moulds a few years back.  Foundry made a limited number of models that were given away at a Rogue Trader game run there back in December 2012, seeing as they are kind of proto-40k models.  I managed to grab a pair of them (slightly out of focus photos below).

Foundry havent put them into production since Im afraid.  I am hopeful that they will dig out other old, weird Laserburn/proto-40k figures in future and make them available.  It could happen, but Im not holding my breath either.

Let me know if you want an ID on any of the other figures.  Most of them are still available from various sources Im sure.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 10:16:59 PM »
Really cool topic about old school minis and old school rulesets ! Beautiful setup too, both scenery and figures.

Now I want to play Chronopia and Warzone 1st edition again ! Not necromunda or rogue trader I know, but your topic definitly reminds me the good old days on these all time favorites of mine  ;)

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 09:23:38 AM »
It is definitely ubercool! Those minis and the spirit of the AAR instil awesomeness all around.

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 09:39:53 AM »
Looks like fun. Cool models.

Online v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 09:46:19 AM »
Really good stuff!  :D
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 12:32:44 PM »
Excellent!

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 12:47:50 PM »
Thanks for the kind responses guys.

Now I want to play Chronopia and Warzone 1st edition again ! Not necromunda or rogue trader I know, but your topic definitly reminds me the good old days on these all time favorites of mine  ;)

Its about whatever turns your crank.  I played a lot of 41st Millennium stuff over the years and despite the various issues around the franchise, I really enjoy it at its core, so I play games in that setting.  Im not married to any rule set although a 40K derivative suits the group that played in this session, so we use it.  I played a series of Inquisitorial games with a different gaming buddy with slightly different interests last year and we used the 7TV rules to cover similarly sized 40k-verse based antics (its on page 6 of my 7TV/RT/Inq thread).

So its not really about the rules for me.  Obviously the rules are very important, but the context and setting is usually what drives me.  If the Warzone setting is what you and your buddies get a kick out of then go for that (not that the 40K and Warzone settings are wildly different anyway).

It is definitely ubercool! Those minis and the spirit of the AAR instil awesomeness all around.

Thanks Suber.  As noted a few times already, our interests overlap quite a bit :)

Looks like fun. Cool models.

Thanks Curtis.

A few Ramshackle vehicles featured heavily along with some Mutant plants.  I need to fully finish the basing on the plants and then get some better photos of them taken.  I will be adding them to my Alien Flora & Fauna project thread.  Some of my dunger herd nearly became obstacles in the car chase, but we had enough going on so we decided to hold them back for the next time.

Offline theottovonbismark

• Librarian
  • theottovonbismark.wordpress.com
    • TheOttoVonBismark
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 03:29:05 PM »
The odd thing about the weekends gaming was that when I got back home I was too tired to work on figures so I decided to watch the latest Riddick movie.  I was surprised to see that there was a passing resemblance to the weekends Deathworld gaming!

By the last games we were just using basic statlines for everyone (Riddick has a basic human profile).  We gave him one of the Gorkamorka skills which allows you to throw an attacker off a trukk D6" ( in a direction of your choosing ) if they fail to beat you in a boarding action close combat.  This skill added a lot of drama to the game which otherwise may have been flatter in its fun trajectory.  It really shows us that the statline is not as important for character than unique skills that suit the goals of the given scenario.
Otto

http://theottovonbismark.wordpress.com/

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 04:34:13 PM »
Looks great, but I imagine playing was even better.
Fantastic stuff.

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
  • Post Apocalyptic Nut Job
    • Post Apoc Wargames Forum
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 07:49:02 PM »
Great stuff. I love the feel. You have captured the old anything goes of early 40K.
Mattblackgod's world - Games and minis blog.