Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:51:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Myth (and the search for a set)  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
Myth (and the search for a set)
« on: February 19, 2014, 07:55:45 PM »
A friend of mine recently informed me about the game myth and that he was expecting his kickstarter in the coming month(s) and I was surprised to have completly missed this kickstarter, have you guys seen the kickstarter Myth last year?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1700755582/myth-0?ref=live

It's starting to look like a nice adventure/dungeon crawl game. and I look forward to their next kickstarter as wel, Recon, which should go online as soon as they start shipping Myth. sadly it seems to coincide with Dreaqdball Extreme and guildball. I'm looking foward to all of these, though my wallet dreads the coming month...

As a proud new daddy I'm now looking into games that I hopefully can use to introduse my little one into miniature adventure gaming. I already pledged for a set of the new heroquest for this purpose and was hoping to find someone who (or knows someone) has pledged for Myth and and has a spare set (captain level) or want to part with his, either for money or as a trade for AvP, Heroquest or Shadows of Brimstone, each of which I have bought multiple sets to give away as presents in due time. If anyone can help me find a set I'd really appriciate it.
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Myth (and the search for a set)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 01:27:24 PM »
I sure have. 8)

I was lucky to secure a Captain's level at the last moment, even though I'll still be missing out on many of the KS only minis. Rest assured that almost all of the essential elements and expansions will be available later through normal retail channels though.

Of course there will be a few minis and cards that will not be available after the KS, but the bulk of the stretch goals were expansions of the existing ranges anyway. And then there was the arena-type expansion to the game, for which I didn't care anyway, which is a KS only too I believe.

A couple of friends and I were lucky enough to be able to play a demo game at Spiel Essen last year, and boy did it not disappoint! Gameplay is just great, and exactly what our group needed. See; we tend to break all games with excessive meta-gaming, but Myth will not only make all those crafty tactics and practices redundant, it will also force you to match the pace of the game (through the dungeons collapsing behind you; procrastinate too much and you get left behind. So no more parties waiting X turns for the magic user to recover their spell points :D ).

A long tale short; we're all very stoked to get our hands on our own copies and will probably play the heck out of it :)

As for the second KS; I understand that it will be an expansion to the first set, advancing the campaign started in the first box. there will be harder challenges, bigger and badder monsters and even a fullfledged dragon! It will not be playable with starting characters though, as they apparently would not get past the first room... ::)

Still; I'm sure they will provide profiles for ready made characters of a sufficient level to survive the rigors of the projected dragon wrestling. but of course it would be much cooler to keep using the character you have advanced through the first game.

One buddy is already gearing up to step into the second KS as well, but I'm still on the fence myself. First there'll be about a gazillion minis from the first KS to prep and paint. And ignoring all other distractions and projects, I'll probably have those finished somewhere around 2020, so I'm not sure if I should allow myself to shoulder yet another monster project like that... ;)

Good luck finding anyone willing to part with their Captain's level though. I'm sure they will pop up on Ebay soon after they're being shipped out, but with those masses of extra minis and the KS-only minis, expect to pay through the nose. I think your best bet is to wait for the box to become commercially available and get yourself some expansion sets to approximate the hordes of minis that come with the KS. because unless the game bombs like a rogue SCUD, I expect prices for a Captain's level to be higher than gathering the equivalent yourself.

Of course, you might always get lucky... ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 01:52:57 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 12:43:52 AM »
I've found that with almost every large gaming Kickstarter...the entire lot is often available on ebay shortly after release, when people order too much or spent money they didn't have.  I'd definitely check ebay once the Myth stuff starts shipping.  You're almost guaranteed to see "Myth Kickstarter Pledge level ______" for sale.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 06:11:52 AM »
I've found that with almost every large gaming Kickstarter...the entire lot is often available on ebay shortly after release, when people order too much or spent money they didn't have.  I'd definitely check ebay once the Myth stuff starts shipping.  You're almost guaranteed to see "Myth Kickstarter Pledge level ______" for sale.

I'm hoping for that as well and I'm in no rush to procur a set asap, thouh it can never hurt to already start trying to find a set :D

@Daeothar: just asking (no harm in trying) should you or any of your friends after having received and played the game for a while have the idea that you don't all need a set and want to have another game instead such as the afore mentioned heroquest or shadows of brimstone, would you then be willing to contact me? Us both being in the Netherlands is nice in this case. Off course if you are already expecting copies of the other games I can imagine you having less interest in trading   :?

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 07:52:32 AM »
Sure, no problem. But I don't advise you to hold your breath though; I have a feeling that this one will be a keeper... ;)

However, I do have a mild interest in the Predator game and (the scenery of) Hero Quest, but I haven't pledged on either of them (especially with the drama surrounding HQ ::) ). Us being in the same country would certainly cut doen on postage, so should the unthinkable happen, I will drop you a message. :)

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 10:45:54 AM »
I actually went for two sets of hq, purely to get more of the scenery and a spare set of shadows of brimstone and avp, purely for the miniatures. I would rather not ship any of these, preffering to visiting and mayhap playing a game. Breda is only about an hour by car from where I live, so worth the trip for visiting a fellow laf member

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 11:24:59 AM »
I doubt you'll have any problems getting the MYTH base set at a good OLGS discount. I doubt the kid even knows what "collecting" means, so don't spend his college fund yet. Flip the multiples -- they go for 2x the KS price pretty easily. MYTH is *much* more complicated than HQ (and more rewarding) so I doubt the kid will be ready for it until his preteen years. Personally, I think Descent is a fine game, if run like a traditional RPG rather than an adversarial boardgame.

BGG has a Geeklist of light Dungeoncrawling games, some free: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/166586/item/3080193
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 03:35:41 PM »
I doubt you'll have any problems getting the MYTH base set at a good OLGS discount. I doubt the kid even knows what "collecting" means, so don't spend his college fund yet. Flip the multiples -- they go for 2x the KS price pretty easily. MYTH is *much* more complicated than HQ (and more rewarding) so I doubt the kid will be ready for it until his preteen years. Personally, I think Descent is a fine game, if run like a traditional RPG rather than an adversarial boardgame.

BGG has a Geeklist of light Dungeoncrawling games, some free: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/166586/item/3080193

Getting only the base game sounds nice, but Daddy always tries to get complete sets. For that matter I'm mainly interested in Myth for him due to the cartoonish miniatures and sadly after reading more about it lately I'm interested in the gamplay myself... I already have quite a collection of Dungeoncrawling games and am always on the lookout for more (except when apparently not paying attention to kickstarters like the one from Myth wich took place in quite a busy time of my life)