Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:27:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My space combat DIY gaming mat  (Read 3765 times)

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
Re: My space combat DIY gaming mat
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 01:41:50 PM »
This might be relevant:

Has anyone tried speckle airbrush tips for star spray?

Don't really need 'em IMO. You can get the same effect with normal tips with some deliberate maladjustment of needle/pressure/thinner. I've never done it myself, but it's something that can commonly happen by accident if you get your setup wrong, therefore it can be done on purpose if you need/want.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 07:06:18 PM »
This might be relevant:

Ah, that's my problem: I don't like getting paint on my fingers! Oh, and a complete lack of visualization skills, I suppose...

Quote from: Connectamabob
Don't really need 'em IMO. You can get the same effect with normal tips with some deliberate maladjustment of needle/pressure/thinner. I've never done it myself, but it's something that can commonly happen by accident if you get your setup wrong, therefore it can be done on purpose if you need/want.

Haven't but dabbled, but thought miss-adjustment to spatter led to a clogged mess. Not that I'm sure speckle tips wouldn't likewise.

Thanks!

Doug
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 05:22:56 PM by The_Beast »

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 09:02:45 PM »
I painted a Space tabte some years ago also usling the toothbrush technique. When I got to big blobs of white I stretched it out in a "star" (more a cross really) shape with the tip of a toothpick.

To give sort of a lens flare effect if that makes any sense at all.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 10:30:58 PM »
That's a clever idea. I didn't think about this, I simply waited for drying and then painted in black the excess of white paint.

But if you take your time, remove the excess of paint on the brush, and spread the paint from the top (avoid lateral spray), it's not an advanced modelling technic, it's quite simple.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 01:10:27 PM »
Haven't but dabbled, but thought miss-adjustment to spatter led to a clogged mess. Not that I'm sure speckle tips wouldn't likewise.

Thanks!

DOug

Clogging means either the paint has gunk chunks it it (needs to be strained), or is drying too fast. For the latter there are retarders you can add to your paint or thinner which will slow drying, and lubes to apply to your needle which will discourage paint from drying on it.

If you dial the pressure too low, paint will just stop flowing regardless, but that's not the same as a clog.

It may make a difference whether you're using a siphon feed or a gravity feed brush, but I only have experience with siphon feed models, so I can't say (though I am saving for a good gravity feed brush, as I've found I prefer shooting at low pressures).

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 02:58:02 PM »
Sorry for the thread-omancy, but I just wanted to report on the finger flick technique on the video (awesome video, by the way).

I just spend an hour or so experimenting with different techniques on a piece of leftover cloth.

The fingerflick was by far the nicest result. I used paint from a dropper bottle, instead of spraypaint.

I don't have the time now (plus, it starter to rain), but if people are interested, I'll post my results when I've finished my actual starfield.

I don't like getting paint on my fingers!
I wore a latex glove. I don't know if this affected anything, but the result was great.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 03:26:47 PM by The Voivod »
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 03:58:40 PM »
I agree, this is the simpliest and fastest way to make "realistic" star fields !

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 04:17:48 PM »
Really great work! I'll have to try and find some purple spray when I make my star mat.