Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:26:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689606
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Osprey: On the Seven Seas: Wargames Rules for the Age of Piracy and Adventure  (Read 21809 times)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Anne Bonny

:D Certainly sounds promising to me. Cheers.

Got to have another look, definitely Blackbeard  :D
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
Is that Ann Bonny or Anne Boobies! Whoo! Nice figure!
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Gary Mitchell

• Librarian
    • Space Vixens From Mars
The rules look like being good, they be.

Offline Drunkendwarf

• Mad Scientist
I'm not familar with  any of the Osprey rules but certainly interested in these (I have some unpainted Foundry pirates and this is a nice way to start painting them).
What would the average size of a warband be?

DJ

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
Anne Bonny

who is this girl ?

i'll want the same
Dans les situations critiques, quand on parle avec un calibre bien en pogne, personne ne conteste plus. Y'a des statistiques là-dessus.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Tasty figure. These will be hard to resist (the figures, not the rules).

Offline Gutbukkit

• Mad Scientist
    • Hrafnslith - Dark Age Reenactment

That made my day. Not that the other figures aren't superb, I'll definitely be going all in on this.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Actually I think I saw her at a bucks/stags I drove a bus for today!  lol
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
who is this girl ?

Anne Bonny?

Best quote I saw for her was something along the lines of "the most famous pirate to have sailed a third rate ship under a second rate captain". A Google search will bring up plenty about her.

I think the open shirt thing comes from a later version of the book that originally pulled her story together, A History of Pyrates I think it was called. The original versions were factual books, the later versions got embellished to create more appeal for readers. The bits on her I've read (and I'm by no means an expert) said she fought dressed in men's clothing. However I've been told by others of accounts where she fought with shirt open to make it clear she was a woman and give her opponents pause. I'd suspect that's from the later versions, but maybe someone knows better?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Anne Bonny?

Best quote I saw for her was something along the lines of "the most famous pirate to have sailed a third rate ship under a second rate captain". A Google search will bring up plenty about her.

I think the open shirt thing comes from a later version of the book that originally pulled her story together, A History of Pyrates I think it was called. The original versions were factual books, the later versions got embellished to create more appeal for readers. The bits on her I've read (and I'm by no means an expert) said she fought dressed in men's clothing. However I've been told by others of accounts where she fought with shirt open to make it clear she was a woman and give her opponents pause. I'd suspect that's from the later versions, but maybe someone knows better?

I have seen a contemporary (?) print of her showing her with the shirt open... I think it's in the Osprey on pirates, btw.

As far as I remember, there's uncertainty on whether she was depicted this way to emphasize her gender, or if she actually 'dressed' that way,
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
Anne Bonny?

the correct question is who makes this miniature ?  ;)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
These could be good, Rules and figures.
Do we know when?

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
Rules are out in August (I forgot we changed the release date since the blog in the first post - whoops). Figures will be out at the same time.

As for army size, 15 or so a side is normal. Fewer for more elite forces, more for natives and poorly trained factions.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 01:06:57 PM by Smith »
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
nice  ;D

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
Anne Bonny

Aaarrrrgh  :o :o :o  :-* :-* :-*

And... thanks to the LAF forum for this celebration of the International Women's Day!  :D