Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:19:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690828
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 713
Total: 717

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) Dwarven Forge  (Read 5973 times)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Re: (KICKSTARTER) Dwarven Forge
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 02:25:05 PM »
Agreed.  I like caverns, but the idea of shelling out 3k to get 1k worth of painted tiles and 2k to play one session of D&D with Stefan, is not very enticing.  He seems like a great guy, but paying to play would stress me out too much everytime people got sidelined chitchatting.  I'm sure I'd be thinking, "Oy!  You guys know what your story about the 4th level Ranger you ran in Junior High School just cost me $100.00!?!!"  lol

but seriously, a big chunk of change to lay out...   I got a couple of sets myself, that should be more than enough for my personal needs :D
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 08:23:13 PM »
I'm convinced that big money stuff to meet the creators of these various Kickstarters - are just...for people who have too much money. :D  I'm not surprised the KS went so fast.  The first one was very successful and resulted in an excellent product (clever product actually...as the painted resin tiles are still much nicer, and now the painted plastic ones are nearly the same cost with far fewer designs etc.).

So everyone who got in on the last one probably jumped on this immediately.  I'd expect a cool 2-3 million by the time it's done.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 08:53:34 PM »
The problem with the older DF tiles was not the cost as much as the durability.  I worked in my FLGS for about 4 years as a teenager and we had a few of these sets sitting on shelves.  They were beautiful, but you could feel from the material that the chips and cracks were just waiting to happen.  For me it was the durability, not cost, that held me away.  The new tiles I like better because the 'genericness' of them means that they can also be put together more ways.  I'm really happy with the couple of sets I have and I know when I have kids and we use them, I wont stress over accidental falls and such.  Stefan to his credit really produces a very nice product and now is far more affordable in the cost:durability ratio.

Offline Buntaro

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 09:09:48 PM »
I agree shipping outside US is too much ! Plus the VAT you may have to pay when you receive your parcel (20% !). I give up !  :(

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 11:43:25 PM »
I agree the older pieces are definitely frail...but I've yet to break any, and I'm confident that I can suffer a piece or two broken (heck might even be able to mend them).  I always thought DF was on the verge of failing as a business (stuff was super expensive and never in stock) so I'm glad to know I can go forward and not have to worry about being able to buy more DF stuff when the desire arises.

I do think with the slightly better cost (and as you mentioned durability) I think DF is reaching a whole new audience.  I do hope in the future they discover how to produce much larger pieces though...as I'd have been more than stoked to have all of the old sets redone in new material and available for 25-30% less.  Some of the old pieces are just incredibly cool sculpts...so much character etc.  Here's hopin' they figure out how to do so cost effectively.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 02:15:02 AM »
I'm already in on this caverns Kickstarter. I got my Dwarven Forge dungeon tiles from the first KS last November, and had a blast painting them up (and even managed to play a game!) and can attest to their value & quality. I feel bad for you guys who live overseas though.

Funny story: I actually live about 3 hours drive north of the Dwarven Forge HQ, so if you guys want to pledge at the "play games with Stefan" level and then donate the experience to me, I'll make the drive and ensure it's money well spent!!   lol

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 03:35:02 AM »
I haven't looked at the shipping costs...but the boxes that came for the first KS were quite small (all very carefully packaged to minimize the size).  It wouldn't have been too nightmarish to ship them abroad...maybe $30.  Shame I don't have the money/time or I'd offer to get a foreign group buy and ship the stuff.  Well you guys can always buy the pieces later from DF's European distributor (was told they had one).

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 08:45:58 AM »
Well you guys can always buy the pieces later from DF's European distributor (was told they had one).

They do, at http://www.dwarvenforge.eu

Classic Dungeon Room and Passage set £110.00 or $135.00 from the US - pretty much $ to £ conversion  :-[

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 08:49:06 AM »
I'm already in on this caverns Kickstarter. I got my Dwarven Forge dungeon tiles from the first KS last November, and had a blast painting them up (and even managed to play a game!) and can attest to their value & quality. I feel bad for you guys who live overseas though.

Funny story: I actually live about 3 hours drive north of the Dwarven Forge HQ, so if you guys want to pledge at the "play games with Stefan" level and then donate the experience to me, I'll make the drive and ensure it's money well spent!!   lol

I thought Stefan worked out of Brooklyn NY?  And Jeff is in California.  No?

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 07:43:16 PM »
I thought Stefan worked out of Brooklyn NY?  And Jeff is in California.  No?

AFAIK Dwarven Forge is based in Carbondale, Illinois.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 09:38:28 PM »
AFAIK Dwarven Forge is based in Carbondale, Illinois.

I'm not sure what AFAIK is, but I was correct that Stefan's studio is in Brooklyn.  I guess the AFAIK thing is the admin offices?  That must be Jeff then.  Cheers for the info!

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 10:00:10 PM »
I'm not sure what AFAIK is, but I was correct that Stefan's studio is in Brooklyn.  I guess the AFAIK thing is the admin offices?  That must be Jeff then.  Cheers for the info!

I believe AFAIK is an abbreviation of "as far as I know".

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 10:22:53 PM »
I believe AFAIK is an abbreviation of "as far as I know".
 lol of course! Cheers!

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 10:00:40 AM »
I thought Stefan worked out of Brooklyn NY? 

He does, or did anyway. Remember that crane fell and destroyed his apartment or part of it? There is a thread about it in the Dwarven Forge forums, IIRC.

Offline Timotl

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 06:36:47 PM »
The new lava add on pack is excellent for those of you who haven't seen it!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dwarvenforge/dwarven-forges-caverns-dwarvenite-game-tiles-mini/posts