Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:11:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690724
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) Dwarven Forge  (Read 5961 times)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
(KICKSTARTER) Dwarven Forge
« on: March 11, 2014, 03:23:25 AM »
Hoi Mates, Just saw on Dwarven Forge's FB page that Stefan announced the KS starts Wednesday at 11am EST.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 03:27:10 PM by Prof.Witchheimer »
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Dwarven Forge KS
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 11:45:55 PM »
For those wondering --- he's referring to the SECOND Dwarven Forge kickstarter which will be Caverns instead of the standard dungeon pieces. 

So, yes the Caverns kickstarter begins on Wednesday.  I'll be sitting this one out (after discovering I have A- tons of DF stuff, and B- found an unopened cavern set amongst my boxes!).  I will however likely pick up some stuff later after the stuff arrives on the shore.  I've actually been meaning to swing by and grab up some expansion sets for additional furniture/doors/stairs.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Re: Dwarven Forge KS
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 03:16:25 PM »
FUNDED!  That took all of 9 minutes!

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
Re: (KICKSTARTER) Dwarven Forge
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 07:31:17 PM »
A nice set, but I will pass as I did on the first... shipping outside the US is just too much.  It seems like the latest USPS price hikes have made the US even worse than Canada for shipping outside the country.  Never thought I would see that...  :'(
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 08:31:08 PM »
I hear you!  There is some big benefit to being an expat, I can buy these now, send them to my parents house and pick them up for X-mas and avoid the shipping and customs expense.  I had a Jansport backpack filled to the gills with DF stuff!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 08:50:25 PM »
Yep, and I feel the pain from a US perspective - as I can't afford to ship anything outside of the U.S.  It's rather ridiculous. Here we're in trouble because:

1) our postal service is obnoxiously expensive
2) private carrier alternatives have no interest in the public market and only ship for businesses (and quite economically I might add).  If you walk into a FedEx or UPS store the prices are equally obnoxious.

Sooo...yep. :-[

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 09:14:15 PM »
It has only become so expensive in the past few years though.  I think almost as little as 3 years ago (maybe 5) I could get a small parcel shipped to me, in Ontario, Canada, from the southern US for like $5-6 (untracked).  For me to send the same parcel in Canada to the next city over would be $8-10 (all in-country packages have tracking).  Now the same package costs about $15 while the Canadian price has not really changed much.

Though Canadian overseas postage is silly.  I cannot have tracking unless I pay like $70-80 for expedited shipping, and a package of like 500-1000 grams costs over $30 for regular airmail.  o_o

At least its still reasonably cheap to ship small packages from the UK to Canada.  lol

But back on topic...

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 02:47:13 AM »
Stefan's video is crazy good. I said it on the kickstarter, I haven't seen a pitch so good since I first saw Lou Zocchi pitching Game Science dice on YouTube (after which I never went back to crappy tumble smooth dice again)!  lol

The caverns aren't bad as well. They aren't my dream, though. Since I already have a lot of water caverns what I really want are frickin ROUGH HEWN. Still, the warmer paintjob shows makes them seeme different enough and gives them a slightly drier feel, and it's nice to have variety.

.. a US perspective - ...

1) our postal service is obnoxiously expensive

I really disagree. Just recently it came up a bit but compared to elsewhere our shipping is very reasonable. It used to be nutty cheap, the way our gas still is. It's only now our postage is starting to be a reflection of the actual world we live in, where the oil bubble is bursting. And in the US you have to consider state to state is further than in the EU country to country most of the time. Compare to Canada as Too Bo Coo says. I pity canadian miniatures sellers on ebay, because their prices are pushed down because bidders factor in the crazy high shipping costs to get stuff here to the US.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 03:04:53 AM »
Stefan's video is crazy good. I said it on the kickstarter, I haven't seen a pitch so good since I first saw Lou Zocchi pitching Game Science dice on YouTube (after which I never went back to crappy tumble smooth dice again)!  lol

The caverns aren't bad as well. They aren't my dream, though. Since I already have a lot of water caverns what I really want are frickin ROUGH HEWN. Still, the warmer paintjob shows makes them seeme different enough and gives them a slightly drier feel, and it's nice to have variety.

I really disagree. Just recently it came up a bit but compared to elsewhere our shipping is very reasonable. It used to be nutty cheap, the way our gas still is. It's only now our postage is starting to be a reflection of the actual world we live in, where the oil bubble is bursting. And in the US you have to consider state to state is further than in the EU country to country most of the time. Compare to Canada as Too Bo Coo says. I pity canadian miniatures sellers on ebay, because their prices are pushed down because bidders factor in the crazy high shipping costs to get stuff here to the US.

Agreed, USPS is pretty affordable, most likely because it's still Public.  I live in the Netherlands with TNT, a private company.  The very mediocre service is VERY expensive.  When people talk about how bad the USPS is, they really dont know how good they have it.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 03:44:42 AM »
Let me put it this way though....international shipping is absurd.  I think our standard shipping is fine.  Our international letters are fine...but anything remotely heavy costs an arm and a leg.  Oddly when it gets heavy enough international priority mail kicks in and is okay.

As a whole though, it's pretty bad for international shipping.  Has anyone tried the ebay international shipping center?

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 11:32:25 AM »
I think I had one package sent to me in Canada via the Ebay international shipping service thing.  It wasn't any better as it forced me to pay duties upfront.  With regular shipping, I am charged duties less than 5% of the time, so being forced to pay it upfront is lame.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 12:09:14 PM »
I think I had one package sent to me in Canada via the Ebay international shipping service thing.  It wasn't any better as it forced me to pay duties upfront.  With regular shipping, I am charged duties less than 5% of the time, so being forced to pay it upfront is lame.

That was my take as well....

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 12:09:55 PM »
BTW DF KS is at 750,000 in less than 24 hours!

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 01:53:46 PM »
The four pledges at $3000 each have gone, as have 105 pledges at $875 :o

Mad, they're all mad I tell you o_o

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 02:21:59 PM »