Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:46:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Osprey Combat series - Roman Soldier vs Germanic Warrior  (Read 4774 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Osprey Combat series - Roman Soldier vs Germanic Warrior
« on: March 13, 2014, 09:55:57 AM »
Just realized Osprey has a new series, Combat. Did anyone read anything of the series? What is the point of this "X versus Y" concept, at the moment it looks to me like an attempt to put together two of the former Roman Soldier and German Warrior books into a new one.

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/Roman-Soldier-vs-Germanic-Warrior_9781472803498

Combat 6

Illustrator:Peter Dennis

About this book
The reigns of Augustus and his successor Tiberius saw an epic struggle between the Romans and local peoples for the territory between the Rhine and Elbe rivers in what is now Germany. Following two decades of Roman occupation, Germania Magna erupted into revolt in AD 9 following the loss of the three legions commanded by Publius Quinctilius Varus to the Cheruscan nobleman Arminius and an alliance of Germanic nations in the dense forests of the Teutoburger Wald. The Romans’ initial panic subsided as it became clear that Arminius and his allies could not continue the war into Germania Inferior on the western bank of the Rhine, and Imperial troops poured into the region as the Romans decided how best to resolve the situation. Featuring full-colour artwork, specially drawn maps and an array of revealing illustrations depicting weapons, equipment, key locations and personalities, this study offers key insights into the tactics, leadership, combat performance and subsequent reputations of the Roman soldiers and their Germanic opponents pitched into a series of pivotal actions on the Imperial frontier that would influence Roman/German relations for decades to come.

Contents
•Introduction
•The opposing sides
•Teutoberg Pass: Summer AD 9
•Idistaviso: Summer AD 16
•Angrivarian Wall: Summer AD 16
•Analysis
•Aftermath
•Bibliography
•Index

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Osprey Combat series - Roman Soldier vs Germanic Warrior
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 07:41:24 PM »
Hmmm. Given that across their many different book series: Campaign, Essential histories, Elite, Warrior, Men-at-Arms and so on, Osprey already have many titles covering Roman and Ancient German armies, battles and campaigns, it's very hard to believe that this new format is going to bring anything very new or different...

But perhaps for someone who just wants a superficial summary of the period and main events, it will provide a simple one-stop-shop...

Whether it's all new content, or reuses maps, illustrations, commentary and photography from earlier Osprey titles on the same subjects, pulled together into a new format, I don't know... We'll find out when it is publsihed I guess... Campaign 228 on the Teutoburg Forest battle, for instance, is also illustrated by Peter Dennis. Has he had to paint two sets of paintings portraying this famous battle I wonder...

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 08:18:18 PM »
I'll send you both a copy if you like - no strings - see what you think! Just PM me.

The idea is to compare two historical combatants - their training, equipment etc. (in which way is has elements in common with the Warrior series), command etc. and picks out key engagements that illustrate their respective qualities. In that regard, it is similar to Duel (and that 'Duel with soldiers' concept has been frequently requested ever since Duel came out!). Emphasis is placed on the experiences of the combatants - what it was like to fight in a Legion, how the Germans would assault the Romans etc. - and on how tactics evolved in-theatre in light of combat experiences.

All the content is new - there's no reuse (deliberately, anyway - something like Trajan's Column might appear more often than some!).

That's the elevator pitch, anyway - I can ask the series editor for a more detailed précis tomorrow if you like.
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 08:47:45 PM »
Sounds interesting. Sometimes, given the wealth of background material already published by osprey, it's difficult to work out if you are getting something new or a compilation.

However I do quite fancy this one, especially since I'm busy painting and assembling Dacians and Germans for a new project. This book seems to be a warriors eye view of a series of battles which is different perspective, I think. Interest piqued!

:D

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 08:56:16 PM »
The Osprey books are just fantastic, I have probably 50 or so.  Looking forward to seeing the new one!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 09:07:23 PM »
Does it go into detail of how day to day life was for a solider in either army?

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 10:29:52 PM »
Interesting idea! Nice resource for those of us who do 100 different little skirmish forces for quick games, but don't need to deep-dive into the history.

Any more titles planned?

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 08:09:29 AM »
Does it go into detail of how day to day life was for a solider in either army?

Not so much, save for where it directly relates to combat performance. Warrior is probably a more useful resource for the day-to-day life on campaign element. The series editor actually gave a much better summary of the Combat series this morning - "it is to Warrior what Duel is to New Vanguard".

Any more titles planned?

Of course. I'm not sure where Osprey is up to officially on its 'coming soon' for this series, so here's a swift recap of what's been announced by Amazon (bless 'em):
  • CBT 1: British Paratrooper vs Fallschirmjäger: Mediterranean 1942–43
  • CBT 2: Union Infantryman vs Confederate Infantryman: Eastern Theater 1861–65
  • CBT 3: British Infantryman vs Zulu Warrior: Anglo-Zulu War 1879
  • CBT 4: French Guardsman vs Russian Jaeger: 1812–14
  • CBT 5: British Infantryman vs German Infantryman: Somme 1916
  • CBT 6: Roman Soldier vs Germanic Warrior: 1st Century AD (May)
  • CBT 7: German Infantryman vs Soviet Rifleman: Barbarossa 1941 (July)
  • CBT 8: US Marine vs Japanese Infantryman: Guadalcanal 1942–43 (September)
  • CBT 9: Continental vs Redcoat: American Revolutionary War (November)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 08:25:40 AM »
I expect a Napoleonic British v French Infantry too. No doubt one of the classic head-to-heads full of tactical nuances.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 08:32:22 AM »
Not so much, save for where it directly relates to combat performance. Warrior is probably a more useful resource for the day-to-day life on campaign element. The series editor actually gave a much better summary of the Combat series this morning - "it is to Warrior what Duel is to New Vanguard".

Of course. I'm not sure where Osprey is up to officially on its 'coming soon' for this series, so here's a swift recap of what's been announced by Amazon (bless 'em):
  • CBT 1: British Paratrooper vs Fallschirmjäger: Mediterranean 1942–43
  • CBT 2: Union Infantryman vs Confederate Infantryman: Eastern Theater 1861–65
  • CBT 3: British Infantryman vs Zulu Warrior: Anglo-Zulu War 1879
  • CBT 4: French Guardsman vs Russian Jaeger: 1812–14
  • CBT 5: British Infantryman vs German Infantryman: Somme 1916
  • CBT 6: Roman Soldier vs Germanic Warrior: 1st Century AD (May)
  • CBT 7: German Infantryman vs Soviet Rifleman: Barbarossa 1941 (July)
  • CBT 8: US Marine vs Japanese Infantryman: Guadalcanal 1942–43 (September)
  • CBT 9: Continental vs Redcoat: American Revolutionary War (November)

Thanks for the information mate.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 08:38:26 AM »
Interesting idea! Nice resource for those of us who do 100 different little skirmish forces for quick games, but don't need to deep-dive into the history.

Good points! Looking forward in seeing it come available.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 09:15:33 AM »
I'll send you both a copy if you like - no strings - see what you think! Just PM me.

The idea is to compare two historical combatants - their training, equipment etc. (in which way is has elements in common with the Warrior series), command etc. and picks out key engagements that illustrate their respective qualities. In that regard, it is similar to Duel (and that 'Duel with soldiers' concept has been frequently requested ever since Duel came out!). Emphasis is placed on the experiences of the combatants - what it was like to fight in a Legion, how the Germans would assault the Romans etc. - and on how tactics evolved in-theatre in light of combat experiences.

All the content is new - there's no reuse (deliberately, anyway - something like Trajan's Column might appear more often than some!).

That's the elevator pitch, anyway - I can ask the series editor for a more detailed précis tomorrow if you like.

Thanks, Paul, appreciate your feedback, it sounds interesting, indeed, I will order the book as soon as it will be available, really looking forward to it.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 10:05:30 AM »
Seems like an interesting series. This one in particular intrigues me as I love the period. I have a Silver Membership to Osprey's online content - well worth the £3 a month for such a huge pool of colour plates; especially for us wargamers.

Offline dm

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 09:30:28 PM »
Looking forward to reading and seeing the artwork :)

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 10:03:35 PM »
Seems like an interesting series. This one in particular intrigues me as I love the period. I have a Silver Membership to Osprey's online content - well worth the £3 a month for such a huge pool of colour plates; especially for us wargamers.

What does the osprey silver membership actually offer?