Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 03:05:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696473
  • Total Topics: 118770
  • Online Today: 540
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 353
Total: 356

Recent

Author Topic: Couple of tedious questions on shooting.  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Silbuster

• Scientist
Couple of tedious questions on shooting.
« on: March 22, 2014, 04:59:51 PM »
If a figure with a one-handed shooting weapon is shooting at the figure he is fighting then terrain has no effect on that shooting. If both are in a zone of shadows then, since zone of shadows is a sort of mystical terrain, then it has no effect on shooting while fighting either. Is that correct?

If a figure armed with a spear or axe throws it, does it still have a spear or axe or does it have to go and ask for it back?

Both of these are causing a bit of friction in the club. People are becoming entrenched in their opinions so a bit of arbitration would be useful. You wouldn't have thought this would be the case with a fun set of rules but competition keeps breaking out.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
Re: Couple of tedious questions on shooting.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 05:10:47 PM »
Firstly please refer the chaps to Section 1.5, especially The Power of Rules and the Gentleperson's Agreement.

So let's get onto your questions:

If a figure with a one-handed shooting weapon is shooting at the figure he is fighting then terrain has no effect on that shooting.
Agreed. They are in base contact so there shall be no intervening terrain to cause a problem.

If both are in a zone of shadows then, since zone of shadows is a sort of mystical terrain, then it has no effect on shooting while fighting either. Is that correct?

Agreed, that is correct for the same reasons as above.

If a figure armed with a spear or axe throws it, does it still have a spear or axe or does it have to go and ask for it back?

It is assumed that any figure with a throwing weapon has enough ammunition to last the game.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Eisenfaust

• Scientist
  • Gamer geek, itinerant cyborg and Viking shaman
    • My blog: Dispatches from the Rim
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 02:24:22 AM »
Silibuster, you have my sympathies. Do you find, as I do, that common sense just isn't that common anymore?

Craig, so glad you're back!
dispatchesfromtherim.blogspot.com
www.brassandblood.com

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 02:35:52 AM »
Firstly please refer the chaps to Section 1.5, especially The Power of Rules and the Gentleperson's Agreement.
<snip>

It is assumed that any figure with a throwing weapon has enough ammunition to last the game.

I am thinking now of Zulus, Apaches, Tribesmen for Tarzan Allies...  Yes, other than - possibly - Shaka kaSenzangakhona with his ideas (see below) most native forces 'sniped' and 'skirmished' until conditions were "right" for close combat.  In IHMN time terms this could be an entire game session easily.  Unless you go with strict WYSISYG approach this would be relatively 'realistic' along with keeping game mechanics simple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaka

"Weapons changes[edit]
Shaka is often said to have been dissatisfied with the long throwing "assegai", and credited with introducing a new variant of the weapon: the "iklwa", a short stabbing spear with a long, sword-like spearhead.
Though Shaka probably did not invent the iklwa, according to Zulu scholar John Laband, the leader did insist that his warriors train with the weapon, which gave them a "terrifying advantage over opponents who clung to the traditional practice of throwing their spears and avoiding hand-to-hand conflict".[14] The throwing spear was not discarded but used as an initial missile weapon before close contact with the enemy, when the shorter stabbing spear was used in hand to hand combat.[5]"

I guess a simple question is how long spear wielding troops stay in range of black powder weapons before closing to overwhelm the foe in melee...  Two turns?  Three?  Four?

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 02:37:31 AM »
Silibuster, you have my sympathies. Do you find, as I do, that common sense just isn't that common anymore?

I have seen a bumper sticker to the effect (paraphrased) that "My Super Power is Common Sense..."

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 02:42:40 AM »

It may also be the desire to micro-manage our figures such as Corps/Army Commanders in Napoleonic games  deciding when Battalions change formations...

Over-"sciencing" rules is not new unfortunately...  as is turning nouns into verbs...

Gracias,

Glenn
'

Offline Franz_Josef

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 04:36:58 PM »
"Enough ammunition to last the game"  really?  You could carry maybe 4 - 6 javelins, and most skirmishers of the ancient and middle ages carried three or four.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 04:41:14 PM »
"Enough ammunition to last the game"  really?  You could carry maybe 4 - 6 javelins, and most skirmishers of the ancient and middle ages carried three or four.

Consider how many times a person with a thrown weapon would get to throw one during a game and it isn't that daft. Our thought was that as soon as you begin limiting ammunition you have to add paperwork and/or counters.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 06:06:00 PM »
"Enough ammunition to last the game" 

Besides, it does say that in the rule book, so there should be no confusion there :)
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 07:51:09 PM »
Consider how many times a person with a thrown weapon would get to throw one during a game and it isn't that daft. Our thought was that as soon as you begin limiting ammunition you have to add paperwork and/or counters.

No full auto-fire atl-atls?  Really?   ;)   lol

It's a game, not a simulation... I loved the bit about asking for your spear back, BTW... I am sure you would get it back but not the way you intended...

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Silbuster

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 09:06:25 PM »
Some of us are competition players. Not with IHMN. Old habits die hard. Particularly when it's their figures which are dying.

I agree that it's much simpler to avoid paperwork and assume that ammunition supply is infinite. Besides you pay for the privilege.
"I say, old chap, could I have my spear back?"
"Certainly, old boy. Apologies for the inconvenience."
"Not at all. Splendid of you to be so understanding. Mind if I try again?"
"Of course. I'll just sortie my pistol this time."
"That's what I call getting into the spirit of the thing! Good show!"

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 03:55:47 AM »
Every day of work or when i am forced to leave my house and deal with the outside world.

Grimm

Offline copeab

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 04:52:35 PM »

The only cases where the game "counts ammunition" seems to be one-use weapons, like the blunderbuss and grenades.

Some questions:

(1) If a weapon can be used for Fighting and Shooting, does it need to be bought twice or just once?
(2) If it only has to be paid for once, can I assume a Fumble renders it useless in both roles?
(3) Mostly for color, but can a Fumble with a thrown weapon be assumed to mean the figure has run out of knives/axes/spears?
Brandon

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 07:34:05 PM »
1) Once.
2) Yes.
3) Possibly.

Offline copeab

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 07:39:45 PM »
1) Once.
2) Yes.
3) Possibly.

Gracias ;)