Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:41:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hotlead 2014 has been and gone.  (Read 3779 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Hotlead 2014 has been and gone.
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 02:54:31 AM »
You mean other Toronto events or other Ontario wargaming events?

Because both are sort of thin, to be honest. Toronto's major cons are Fan Expo (the big one, mostly comic, movie, and TV show related) and the mostly-anime Toronto Comic Con (who's name escapes me at the moment) that's sort of morphed into a second, lesser Fan Expo.

They used to be closer together, around May-July, but Comiccon has moved to early March and Fan Expo is Late August now.

Neither feature wargaming in any meaningful quantity, if at all, though some years GW has had a fair presence at Fan Expo (not sure if they still do?). Though I haven't been to either con in well over five years, so maybe that's changed?

The only real dedicated wargaming con in Toronto at all is when Astronomicon comes to town (in April). And, well, that's GW's show.

Elsewhere in Ontario, I think the only other major con is Cangames in Ottawa. Online information seems to indicate it has wargaming, but I've never been so I don't know how much. That's in May this year. And of course you folks mentioned KEGSCON in September. I don't know what was meant by Council Fire though - is that another con or just a get-together.

Seems like June or October would be good bets to keep your distance from other shows, as long as they keep to the same rough dates. July too, but make sure the place is well air-conditioned in that case.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 02:56:16 AM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Watts

• Bookworm
    • Toronto Historical Miniature Gamers
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 03:50:54 PM »
I mainly meant Hot Lead and KEGSCON, and probably Council Fires as well if they are coming back. Looks like Cangames is in May this year. I'm not too worried about Fan Expo etc.

I wasn't sure if the summer would be a good time to do it or not - perhaps June would be a good time?

Whatever we do, it'll be something small and manageable. Our group here has been talking about it for a while now, and after a few of us went to KEGSCON we figured we could probably host something along those lines in the GTA somewhere. KEGS put on a good show.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 05:56:25 AM »
The real trick is finding a space with only 2-3 months away. Might not have the lead time to do anything this year unless it really is a fairly small event.

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 04:44:53 PM »
June through Sept you're competing with summer holidays and back to school. Very busy times of year for folks. Also competing with weddings for venue bookings.
MIGSCON used to be in May, when it moved to August it started to tank. I would go with either May and try and get the people who don't want to trek up to Cangames or November. November is cold enough everyone is done going out for the weekends but still early enough you should be able to avoid heavy snow fall scuppering things.
Jan-Feb of course weather is a huge factor if you want anyone from out of town.

Offline Watts

• Bookworm
    • Toronto Historical Miniature Gamers
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 04:53:24 PM »
There is a strong possibility that we may have a place for mid-July. I should know more by tomorrow.

The summer could possibly be a busy time, but I was hoping to avoid having too many Ontario cons so close together.