Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:31:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: All right, here they are -- FINALLY -- a first draft of my Scrunts company  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Eisenfaust

• Scientist
  • Gamer geek, itinerant cyborg and Viking shaman
    • My blog: Dispatches from the Rim
OK, you can stop hounding me now. I've littered the year thus far with a string of broken promises, not the least of which was to have a draft of these out three weeks ago.

So here's my thinking on the Victorian Scrunts, designed to go with the excellent Bob Olley miniatures.

I've created the Stout attribute for them, which means their full move is 5 inches (instead of the more common 6) and running adds only 2 inches to their move (not the more common 3). (Though uncommon, Scrunts still do have speed bonuses, so that still adds to the move, and there are martial artists among them, so that can give a speed boosts too.) I thought about valuing Stout at -1, but I have instead left it a zero-cost disadvantage, as it provides much of the character of the list.

These cheeky bastards are all Tough as well. They have to be if they're not moving far. The ones I'm presenting are one of the street teams of Stronginthearm Industrial Machines and Armaments. (Tip o' the 'at to Mr. Terry Pratchett there.)

I've only written up the more "urban" of the types. Bob's kickstarter included many more varieties than I'm planning on using for now, but we can always go back and address those later. I've included the walker which I showed on my blog the other week, which just borrows the stats of the two Johnson walkers in the first IHMN volume (with the errata'ed points cost for the "Cherokee.")

Bob had a couple of vehicles in his kickstarter. I didn't get to buy them, and I haven't included them on this list -- yet. This list is very much a Work In Progress (WIP) for which I definitely need the assistance of you fine folks. So please, chime in. I am REALLY good at taking constructive criticism.

I know there are problems with this list. As I've done them so far, these buggers are PRICEY. If you're playing a standard start-up game at around the 250-point level, you won't get many. Maybe a chief engineer, a banger or two, maybe a boomer, and four or five breakers. (You'll see what those mean in a bit.)

Plus the runemaster -- that's me playing around with typical dwarven types in fiction. I modeled the runemaster's ability on that of the Prof. Moebius of the Legion Etrangere to give potions, and I've included it in the figure's cost as a Unique talent at 20 points.

As the list stands, the Engineer costs more than the Chief Engineer simply because I've saddled the poor assistant there with an Arc Generator. (Perhaps we should take away his engineering talent, saddle the chief with the grenades and just make this dude an Engineer's Assistant. That's the kind of choice I need help with.)

I've tried to make this a fun, characterful company, so have at it and tell me where I've gone off the rails. Thanks, everybody, but especially Craig, not just for encouraging this type of experimentation with his and Charles' rules, but for encouraging me personally.

Company list is attached as a pdf.
dispatchesfromtherim.blogspot.com
www.brassandblood.com

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
OK, you can stop hounding me now. I've littered the year thus far with a string of broken promises, not the least of which was to have a draft of these out three weeks ago.

Hounding? Moi?  :o
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Hounding? Moi?  :o

I think it is his own shame  ;) he is projecting there.   lol lol

Missing dates is a fact of Real Life and Hobby.   :)

Nice list.   8)

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
<snip>

Company list is attached as a pdf.

My (somewhat wonky, for some reason,) probably user error or software issue download, while 'color filled' and looks like fun, lacks a list of point costs.

Would it be better to read the list on your blog?

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Eisenfaust

• Scientist
  • Gamer geek, itinerant cyborg and Viking shaman
    • My blog: Dispatches from the Rim
I think it is his own shame  ;) he is projecting there.   lol lol

I'd have thought this was obvious.  :D

Conquistador, sorry you're having trouble with the document. It will be up on my blog later today.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:14:08 PM by Eisenfaust »