Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:22:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lord of the Rings: Mayhem army lists?  (Read 2080 times)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Lord of the Rings: Mayhem army lists?
« on: April 08, 2014, 08:59:45 PM »
Are there lists available for the various LotR forces under the Mayhem rules?

There are a couple of old threads here but nothing recent to say how much progress has been made or if the tasks are still ongoing. Anyone completed some lists or working on any at the moment?

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
Re: Lord of the Rings: Mayhem army lists?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 12:09:24 AM »
I've seen a few different units and forces created on various forums, but I have yet to see a single large project to stat all the LotR forces out.

If you have some particular units or lists in mind, then I'm sure that between myself and a few others that we can get this thing kicked out pretty quickly!
'HAVOC... it's okay to wreak a little!'    <a href="http://www.bombshell-games.com/>bombshell games[/url]

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 08:29:23 AM »
My effort on Battle of Five Armies was here:-

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=61888.msg743209#msg743209

I played a couple of days but was not very happy with them. The points value for the bad guys was far higher than the good guys, but they got hammered in both my trial sessions - admittedly this could have been because the scenario favoured the good army or because the bad army was pure skirmish. I do have a suspicion that the points score for movement is a bit too high compared to the other values.

I was also tempted to house rule the 1=dead thing, not a big fan of instant death type rules.

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 12:59:31 PM »
The points value for the bad guys was far higher than the good guys, but they got hammered in both my trial sessions - admittedly this could have been because the scenario favoured the good army or because the bad army was pure skirmish. I do have a suspicion that the points score for movement is a bit too high compared to the other values.
Scenario can make a huge difference in battle outcomes especially if one side is favored by the set-up. This can be further exacerbated by the build of the forces involved. Since the game uses RTS style counters, committing to running an army mostly made up of a single unit type can be really dangerous [especially if the other force has some effective hard counter units!].

The points for movement are solid. The power of maneuver combined with Overdrive and effective use of command points ends up having a synergistic effect.

I was also tempted to house rule the 1=dead thing, not a big fan of instant death type rules.
It's your game now, so feel free to house rule anything you like! :D If it makes it feel more fun for you, then it's a no-brainer.

Because of the different ways that many units in the game take damage that negates instant death from a critical strike [behemoths, hordes, swarms, etc.], the rank-and-file units having that rule represents their relative fragility when compared to the tough units and creates the opportunity for a bit of drama, story, and excitement when poor CQ units face off against elite units.

Keep in mind, you can always use the heavy armor trait to stop the elimination on a critical strike. If it helps you from a conceptual point of view, then simply rename it the tough or resilient trait. ;)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 09:08:51 PM »
Thanks guys (Nord: your thread was what prompted me to ask about this).

Having just bought Mayhem I am not familiar enough with it to understand all the different unit types/options yet, I was hoping to use LotR lists to learn the game with as I have the figures (based for Impetus Fantasy).

Need to give this some thought.
@VoodooInk : If you do come across any lists please drop a link here.

Offline yorkie

• Assistant
    • Little Legions
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 12:30:21 PM »
Hi there,

I have created some armies for LOTR. Please bear in mind that I havent played a game yet, so I'm just throwing some ideas out there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ay19h2wksrkvnot/MAYHEM%20LOTR.xlsx

Steve

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 04:44:58 PM »
Thanks for the link, will take a look.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 05:06:20 PM »

Keep in mind, you can always use the heavy armor trait to stop the elimination on a critical strike. If it helps you from a conceptual point of view, then simply rename it the tough or resilient trait. ;)

Is this a change from earlier versions? Or perhaps we just miss-understood this rule.

The 1 your dead bit wasn't great for my group. But we did like most of the other parts.

Re army lists, post up what you have, or what you are struggling with, I'm sure we can come up with some suggestions.

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 03:03:35 AM »
Is this a change from earlier versions? Or perhaps we just miss-understood this rule.
No fred, you and your group were playing it right. I meant that you could 'house rule' heavy armor to stop elimination on a critical strike. If your group is easy going and plays mostly for fun, then you can make the change and have at it. Weapons that ignore or counter heavy armor would function as normal. A word of warning though: if you use this as a house rule, then keep in mind that units with really good stat lines can be almost impossible to get rid of sometimes due to their ability to rally.   

On the other hand, if this is something you're interested in using and your group is the competitive type [and will try to push the system for a points advantage], then let me know and we can talk about the Crowns. It seems like a small change, but it creates some interesting differences at really low [or high] CQ and BAR ratings and would require a sliding scale for Crown costs at different levels to keep things really tight from a balance perspective.