Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:14:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: More Studio Miniatures Sikh Wars Figures  (Read 4049 times)

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
More Studio Miniatures Sikh Wars Figures
« on: April 29, 2014, 12:47:01 AM »
British cavalry, Bengal Native Infantry in bell top shakos , Gurkhas and some slightly odd-looking Sikh Lancers :

http://www.studiominiatures.com/shop/the-sikh-wars.html

Offline folnjir

• Scientist
Re: More Studio Miniatures Sikh Wars Figures
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 09:33:15 AM »
The Sikh lancers do look a bit odd. The rest are good though.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 11:28:23 AM »
The Sikh lancers do look a bit odd.

This is what happens when scientists try to cross humans and llamas. But yeah, the rest look nice.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 02:51:48 PM »
Call a spade a spade, these are really bad and I for one am really disappointed with all of the above. They range from mediocre to plain awful, is this what kick starter means when ranges are rushed to completion and figures are released onto the buying public that are really below initial standards. Thank goodness I kept all my Foundry stuff.

Online Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 11:12:59 AM »
I'm slightly disappointed by this release,when the kickstarter was announced I had high hopes of an up to date range which would have replaced the Perry twins original foray into this period,their figures,in my opinion,are the benchmark for future additions/releases in this period.
The Sikh lancer miniatures do look like weak sculpts,perhaps it's the camera angle,also are the British lancers lances correct,seems like a medieval boar spear head on them,again perhaps it's the angle the photo was taken.All in all I think these figures are some of the weakest sculpts I've seen in a long time,the faces look soft and the poses of the rank and file just don't look right.
Sorry for what seems a negative post it's just that I'm feeling a little let down by what I had hoped was going to be the go to range for this period.
Just my twopenneth of course and I'm sure the range will do well as their kickstarter was well subscribed.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 03:14:05 PM »
I signed up for the kickstarter project when it came up and was fairly pleased with the quality of the figures in the original batch : the poses were a tad stiff as the infantry were all marching types, but the sculpts were good with crisp detail and ultra-clean casting courtesy of Griffin Moulds. Apart from the BNI rank and file (the command pack doesn't look that great), most of the figures above look disappointing to me, the Sikh lancers and the Gurkhas being the worst offenders in that regard. The latter's stiff, unnatural advancing pose makes them look like they were designed back in the 1980's while the lancers look downright gawky.

Steve May has shown that he can turn out much better sculpts than these, so I don't know what went wrong here. The Kickstarter effect may have caused the range to be rushed into production as Jeff says. In any case, quality had better pick up quickly or people will turn to the Musketeer Sikh Wars range Bill Thornhill has promised for the end of the year.    
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 05:54:41 PM by Arthur »

Offline Paleskin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 07:06:27 AM »
Are the Sikh lancers all meant to be laughing? ???
Not much variation evident
I didn't kick this start as it's not really my thang!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 09:37:05 AM »
Why no coatee and covered forage cap combination? That would allow one to fight Scinde as well. I'd buy some of those.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo