Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 10:18:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Arthurian minitures  (Read 4941 times)

Offline Chesh

• Bookworm
Arthurian minitures
« on: April 30, 2014, 01:28:53 PM »
I have tried looking around, but seem to become;

a. lost
b. side-tracked
c. overwhelmed

So have decided to pose the question to you all;

Who produce/are best for Arthurian period models to use along side Dux Britanniarum

My head keeps pushing me towards Gripping Beast
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 01:44:59 PM by Chesh »

Offline Watts

• Bookworm
    • Toronto Historical Miniature Gamers
Re: Arthurian minitures
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 03:16:27 PM »
I am a big fan of Musketeer Miniatures:

http://www.musketeer-miniatures.com/

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 03:37:37 PM »
Gripping Beast indeed has a great range of Arthurian figures. Also, many if not all, of their Late Roman range can also be used.
Their plastic Dark Ages Warriors are very good for cheaply bulking out an army. You could combine parts of their (slightly later) Thegns and Vikings for more variety, or as I did, the separate heads from West Wind.
Mostly cast on shields.
Musketeer has a superb range of Arthurian/Late Roman/ Early Saxon figures. Figures are compatible with Gripping Beast and you can easily use them in the same unit. Separate shields in this case.

Black Tree Designs has some excellent Late Romans and Picts. Again compatible with GB and Musketeer. Separate shields.

Crusader Miniatures has a small Romano British range and some of their Irish and Scots range ( again a slightly later period) can also be used. Separate shields but often cast on spears. Some are taller and chunkier than GB, Musketeer and Black Tree, others smaller and slimmer but still somewhat compatible.

Artizan Designs has a small range of Romano British. Just 5 packs but they are great for adding variety. Separate shields. Compatible with all of the above.

Curteys Miniatures has just started on a new Arthurian range with Romano- British and saxons already available. Separate shields and either cast on spears or plug in hands. Some very nice figures and again compatible with the others.

Foundry has an extensive range of Arthurians and Late Romans. Very nice figures but noticeably smaller and slimmer than for example Gripping Beast or Musketeer. I don't like the moulded on clavii on the Late Romans but YMMV.

West Wind Miniatures has a range of Arthurian figures including  Welsh, Irish, Saxons, Romano British and Picts. Really useful are their separate headsets I already mentioned. The figures themselves are quite good and largely compatible with GB, Musketeer and such.
To be totally honest I have to admit that at least some of the figures require a fair bit of cleaning work. Their 'special' sets are very, very good. Separate shields again.

Newline Design I only have most of their Frankish range and these fit well with GB and the rest. Slightly slimmer. Separate shields.They have an extensive range of Arthurians, Late Romans, Picts and Early Saxons as well

Bought some Pictish figures a few years ago from a company I believe was called Miniature Design Studios, but they are probably no longer available. Caliver Books used to carry them for a while but apparently no longer. Very nice figures and compatible with Foundry.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:12:55 PM by WillieB »
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 03:58:04 PM »
Musketeer for me  :)
The old GB ange are a lot more static in poses, but very good though.
Also, worth a look, if you're after something a bit different: Tanatus Miniatures (ex 'R J Eastland) carried by North Star: http://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=82&page=1

Not strictly Arthurian, but very interesting, dstinctive figures for Early Saxons and Picts... In terms of style, not very compatible with any of the other ranges WillieB mentions though  :?

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 04:31:55 PM »
I used various dark ages figs from Crusader with West Wind seperate heads. Works great.

If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 06:56:13 PM »
On an individual basis, I'd say go with Musketeer Miniatures.

However, my own Arthurian/Dark Ages armies contain Musketeer, Crusader, Newline, West Wind and Gripping Beast (metals and plastics), on the grounds that a) I started before Musketeer had a large range available and b) I'm far too tight-fisted to build an army entirely out of MM's product lol

I've got write-ups and comparisons, with pictures of the various manufacturers' outputs, over on my blog: http://mitchwargaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Hope this helps,

M
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 09:49:36 PM »
My Crusader Irish were dwarfed by my GB stuff, to the point that I sold them off as unusable. Don't know which would be "bigger and chunkier" as it was the opposite of my experience...

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 10:59:46 PM »
My Crusader Irish were dwarfed by my GB stuff, to the point that I sold them off as unusable. Don't know which would be "bigger and chunkier" as it was the opposite of my experience...

Oddly enough I had the same thing with the Irish slingers which were indeed dwarfed by any GB or Musketeer figure. Then again some of the other Irish figures like the ones in the Chieftains and Champions blister were at least as hefty as any GB figure I have. I slightly modified my original reply as not to cause confusion.
Possibly made it worse... ;)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:08:58 PM by WillieB »

Offline Chesh

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 05:51:28 PM »
Cheers chaps, plenty to get my teeth into as I Planmy next project

Offline Chesh

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 08:14:14 PM »
We'll I gone and ended up ordering one of the starter sets from the too lardies  website, so Gripping Beast won the vote.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 08:20:17 PM »
We'll I gone and ended up ordering one of the starter sets from the too lardies  website, so Gripping Beast won the vote.

You won't go far wrong with GB.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 09:08:54 PM »

You made the right choice! One of my favorite armies that I've done over the years:

Painting isn't all that great, but they are very near and dear to me! Enjoy yours!

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 09:20:38 PM »
You made the right choice! One of my favorite armies that I've done over the years:

Painting isn't all that great, but they are very near and dear to me! Enjoy yours!

Emphasis mine. "Painting isn't all that great" - in a pig's eye! lol

Lovely - and an excellent example of how well you'll get on with GB miniatures

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 09:25:55 PM »
Yep, very nicely done Lead Asbestos  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 38
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Chesh

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 06:34:30 PM »
So my order arrived today for my Scotti/Irish.   Very lovely models - although one thing,  normally quite good of stripping prices and invoices away quick enough before SWMBO sees - but the starter army has the price on the cardboard! 

So when I opened them I was greeted with "Seveeeenty fiiiiiiiiiive pound"