Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:55:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690579
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 771
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) DUST TACTICS Operation Babylon  (Read 45612 times)

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
Re: (KICKSTARTER) DUST TACTICS Operation Babylon
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 12:33:46 PM »
The main rules for Dust are actually free form their website, but there is a new hardback book that includes lots of extras, including the board-free version that effectively replaced Warfare. They have said that they plan on adding the new rulebook, dice and templates in as add-ons. But given the rest of their pricing, I would expect to find those cheaper elsewhere.

Yesteday they also introduced a new beginners level with the main rules and a much smaller starting force

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 10:51:34 PM »
OK, what am I missing here?

Looking at the KS page, everything seems to be already made and tooled up for Aug delivery, so what do they need the KS money for? To pay for molds they already had made?

Also, looking at the prices, where is the value for your money rather than waiting until its released retail?

The KS I have supported in the past have been for stuff that needs the money to be made and released, as well as being good value for the money, ie cheaper than waiting for it to hit retail?

As this KS has already made enough to fund, someone likes it.
So again, what am I not understanding?

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2014, 07:05:09 PM »
Normally Dust Studios releases two units at a time, using the funds for those to pay for the next batch. The Kickstarter is, apparently, to try and pay for the whole lot up front, allowing them to release it all in one shot.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 09:46:33 PM »
I decided to jump in on this one. I think the game looks cool and the premium prepainted deals are actually much cheaper than if you bought the premium models separately.

I think they went with the jungle style Marines because they are so iconic. If you put them in desert camo no one would recognize them. Agree it's a little odd, but I'm okay with it and get it. They actually tried using the Marine camo in Normandy as well, so I think it was intended to be universal.

There is now a 10% discount on the add-on models. I agree that you could probably find 20% aftermarket, but then youd be waiting forever for the miniatures and miss out on some of the freebies.  Maybe it's not the sort of ridiculous bonanza people have become accustomed to with kickstarter, but I think overall you end up getting more sooner and the value comes out to being about the same as if you waited for aftermarket prices provided you invest a few hundred bucks. If you're looking to just get a few models and a whole bunch of free stuff, then I agree it's probably not the KS for you. Personally, I am sold and going in big-time even despite my initial annoyance ;)

Offline FATROC

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 03:31:33 AM »
I have been playing and collecting Dust Tactics and Dust Warfare since their initial release a few years back. I also use many of their models for my SoTR gaming. I hope Battlefront is successful in keeping this going.  :)

However, I'm not really feeling this kickstarter. Don't like the pledge level options. Don't like the fact that it appears that all of the items in this kickstarter are already produced (i.e. molds) and ready to be released. I've seen previews of some of these items on other websites for a while. The vehicles seem to be variants of existing items in the range with slight changes. Is this a kickstarter, or a cleverly marketed pre-order?   :?

I have supported other kickstarters that were ripped apart for not having more pledge levels, more free items to unlock, more exclusives, an a la carte option, etc... Is there even one exclusive miniature? I went through all three pages of updates, and the main page and didn't find any (apologies in advance if I did miss something). Which means everything will be available once released. I think I'll wait.

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 07:38:18 PM »
I have been playing and collecting Dust Tactics and Dust Warfare since their initial release a few years back. I also use many of their models for my SoTR gaming. I hope Battlefront is successful in keeping this going.  :)

However, I'm not really feeling this kickstarter. Don't like the pledge level options. Don't like the fact that it appears that all of the items in this kickstarter are already produced (i.e. molds) and ready to be released. I've seen previews of some of these items on other websites for a while. The vehicles seem to be variants of existing items in the range with slight changes. Is this a kickstarter, or a cleverly marketed pre-order?   :?

I have supported other kickstarters that were ripped apart for not having more pledge levels, more free items to unlock, more exclusives, an a la carte option, etc... Is there even one exclusive miniature? I went through all three pages of updates, and the main page and didn't find any (apologies in advance if I did miss something). Which means everything will be available once released. I think I'll wait.

I've backed but I agree that if it's all going to come out anyway, why pay postage to get it a few weeks early when I can probably get it cheaper once it's on general release. I am waiting to see whether or not I'll cancel my pledge.

Offline FATROC

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2014, 06:37:37 AM »
One of the things holding me back right now is that I already have collected large amounts of minis for all three factions. The models I am really interested in don't appear to be available separately. We'll see. There is time to change my mind, but I don't have a "warm and fuzzy" about this ks.  :(

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2014, 02:03:33 PM »
 I had started to buy the miniatures for Dust Tactics/Warfare.

This KS sounded like it would have been great to get forces together.But like others have said these will be discounted by re-sellers when they come out and when you add in the postage costs you may-be paying more for them.

Love the pictures they have been posting.Very atmospheric.

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2014, 05:32:05 PM »
I don't want to get into a whole 'what KS owes me' debate, but I do think that either the stretch goal amounts should be reduced or, bidders should get more on offer rather than just extra add-ons which cost you even more. A set of tokens or game aids, something. I'm not talking along the lines of Zombicide or Myth, just feel it's a bit lacking.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2014, 04:00:31 PM »
I think the biggest problem with this KS now is that they underestimated interest.  It feels like they really don't have enough models planned to sustain further upward movement. They've already said that they went beyond the scope of the initial range and are bringing in models from what was supposed to be the next campaign now. It's a shame, and poor planning on their part. I think it could've been a lot more successful if they had planned better. The good news is that hopefully this demonstrates to battlefront that there is strong interest in Dust, and they will keep the product line going and well supported for some time. Overall, I feel like I'm getting a good deal here, and I'm confident that by the end of the campaign the value will be better than what I could get at a discount retailer.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2014, 02:22:39 AM »
There's now an option to buy only the add-ons. Great way to just get the mechs  :-*

Some people have commented that they would like the option to purchase add-ons only, for Dust Warfare players (or just for those who love Dust models but don't play at all). So we have added a $1 pledge level, where you don't need to opt for any of the reward levels, and just choose whatever combination of add-ons you like.

Thanks.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2014, 07:28:55 PM »
I mainly use Dust figures for the occasional hero.

So far I'm only really interested in James T Murphy and the abandoned well. I guess the Rommels are nice too, but I'll need mine prior to August and will probably just get an Artizan Rommel (or another general-type).

I already have the Tina und Hyane - it's a very nice model.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Devoted of Slaanesh

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 11:00:55 PM »
Great deal from Dust kickstarter - for every pledge of 100$ or more - free copy of Operation Achilles!!! :-* :-*

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2014, 08:13:36 PM »
I have been looking at some older packs to make my ONI army out of for AT-43, but I'm very seriously considering jumping in on DUST today before the campaign closes.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2014, 08:11:57 PM »
Not really interested in the whole DUST gener but I do love the Babylonian sculptures in the picture 

which are , well AWESOME!
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!