Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:36:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Canyon Diablo - Recreating the deadliest town in the West  (Read 14246 times)

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
Canyon Diablo - Recreating the deadliest town in the West
« on: May 24, 2014, 05:17:09 PM »
About 5 years ago, I had planned on starting terrain for Old West gaming, based on the the real-life town of Canyon Diablo in Arizona around 1880. But I could never devote the time to finding out more and bringing it to life in miniature...until now.

Located about midway between Flagstaff and Winslow, the actual geological feature of Canyon Diablo was the biggest obstacle to the completion of the main East-West line of the Atlantic & Pacific Railroad. Like the Union Pacific, the A&P built the line from both directions, hoping to meet somewhere in the San Fransisco mountains east of Flagstaff. The canyon would be crossed by a steel truss bridge assembled off-site and delivered in 1880. But, someone measured wrong - the bridge turned up short - and westward construction of the line was halted overnight. This was the genesis of the shantytown of Canyon Diablo....below are a few of the buildings I've started. The largest will probably be "The Cootchy Clatch" (under construction), the 2-story will probably be the Dry Goods Store, the large 1-story will be "The Road to Ruin", the small pitched-roof will be the Grocer, and the smallest will be one of the "houses of ill repute".

You can read more about the town and see a map below:
http://empireofghosts.blogspot.com/2014/05/canyon-diablo-recreating-deadliest-town.html

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Canyon Diablo - Recreating the deadliest town in the West
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 10:42:32 PM »
Lovely lovely...do post updates.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 03:51:01 PM »
That background and map is very interesting.
It has gotten me thinking a bit more about exactly how to put my own town together.
 8)

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this.
 :D

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 09:55:43 PM »
Progress on the first batch of buildings is slow and steady. Most of these are Gamecraft buildings which, while cheap and easy to assemble, had badly under-scale doors on both main and side entrances. As such I had to rebuild nearly all of the doors. For example, on double doors below, the window section is actually just about the height of the actual door (minus transom) on the original Gamecraft kit!

More below:
http://empireofghosts.blogspot.com/2014/06/canyon-diablo-wip-hell-st-buildings.html

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 01:40:51 AM »
Nice detailing so far, I like the pot stoves especially, a very nice touch. (don't forget the chimney on the outside ;) )

Cheers
Matt

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 04:34:53 AM »
Nice work, I look forward to seeing how these builds paint up.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 03:57:06 PM »

The General Store is almost complete. I added a small addition to the side of the building which will become a dry goods storage area which will include bushels, sacks, and barrels. Dry goods storage was almost universally unheated with bare earth floors at the time, as abrupt temperature and/or humidity changes caused by indoor heating could easily spoil the contents. Speaking of which, I added a stove, stovepipe, and bed to the back room for the owner's comfort.

.....this is the first 100% scratchbuilt structure - the Chicken Merchant. It's a big guess, but meat and animal by-products would have been in high demand locally. Even with the railroad's ability to deliver consumer goods far and wide, meat and food production was still fairly localized in the West, even by the early 1900s; so I figured I needed some food sources for Canyon Diablo. The chicken coop itself is based on a real design from 1910 - it's large enough to accomodate a good amount of poultry and a small storage area for feed and tools. It's elevated and screened to keep out predators - Coyotes were (and still are) a problem, and it's possible Mexican Gray Wolves would have roamed this area of Arizona at the time. There will be a fence as well.

More info and pics below:
http://empireofghosts.blogspot.com/2014/06/canyon-diablo-wip-general-store-chicken.html

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 05:09:43 PM »
Beautiful project .  Looks very promising.
Björn
, ,

Offline Turbo-Ben

• Scientist
    • Partisan-Con Mannheim
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 06:34:31 PM »
When I first saw the laser cut stuff I thought this would be quite boring, but know as we see what you did to improve it I'm impressed!
I like the chicken coop best!

Where did you buy that chair and oven?

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 07:43:51 PM »
I like the way you are customizing your buildings, especially the roofs which seems to be a weak point on all MDF buildings they all need some attention (even the 4ground ones).
Like the way you are detailing the interiors, have held off that myself so far but might take the plunge and do a couple of interiors.
Look forward to seeing who this project carries on.

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 08:06:04 PM »
When I first saw the laser cut stuff I thought this would be quite boring, but know as we see what you did to improve it I'm impressed!
I like the chicken coop best!

Where did you buy that chair and oven?

The rocking chair is from 4 ground, the stoves are from an awesome little model train supplier called Wiseman Models. I use both the O (1:48) and S (1:64) Gauge detail parts. I'm currently shopping around for an On30 locomotive and cars as well.

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 09:18:46 PM »
I may have some extra On30 passenger cars. I was a little over exuberant when I started looking for equipment. Nice work on the buildings so far!
It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 10:44:23 PM »
 :-*  :-*  :-*

I value your time consuming construction method, I really like how you have built the frame (and braces) before cladding. It looks amazing.

That dry goods store and chicken coup may have given me the kick up the butt I needed to modify my own general store. (Good thing it's not finished yet hey ;) )

Cheers
Matt

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 07:21:03 AM »
Ideas worth copying here fella...really great work.   This is the detail I love to see.

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 01:13:03 AM »
Work continues on the buildings of Canyon Diablo, slowly but surely.  First up this week is the Dance Hall (described in the contemporary literature as "little more than houses of ill repute"), as such I started adding a large moonshine still to the rear of the building. Don't be alarmed by the bright red fire hydrant look, the shape will be half hidden by dried earth along the bottom half (shown sometimes on old stills to contain heat), piping will be added, and the entire thing will be painted an aged copper color. The fence framing has been added and I'll be adding the boards after painting the groundcover.

More pics and info below:
http://empireofghosts.blogspot.com/2014/07/canyon-diablo-wip-dance-hall-livery.html