Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:18:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690594
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Great Wargaming Survey  (Read 10654 times)

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
Re: The Great Wargaming Survey
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2014, 02:01:31 PM »
On the theme of comparative size of hobby I went to the Warley Model Railway show at the NEC a couple of years ago. It's over two or three days I think and there were said to be 12000 attending on the day I'd been. Model Rail a much bigger pool than Wargaming, hence the coverage I guess.
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2014, 10:42:10 PM »
On the theme of comparative size of hobby I went to the Warley Model Railway show at the NEC a couple of years ago. It's over two or three days I think and there were said to be 12000 attending on the day I'd been. Model Rail a much bigger pool than Wargaming, hence the coverage I guess.

The railway hobby must be bigger given the number of magazines available. Personally never understood the attraction but each to their own.

One thing with this Survey that I thought was incorrect was the how much do you spend on the hobby per year question.

All the options seemed low to me.

Consider that £20 a month is £240 a year that puts us, from memory, into the second catagory of replies immediately.

£20? Club attendance is £3.50 a week ... so I'm over £20 if I buy two pots of paint in a month?

Or purchase any box from Games Workshop etc

It just seemed the options were really low before jumping to 'unlimited'

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2014, 11:12:23 PM »
<snip>

Consider that £20 a month is £240 a year that puts us, from memory, into the second catagory of replies immediately.

£20? Club attendance is £3.50 a week ... so I'm over £20 if I buy two pots of paint in a month?

Or purchase any box from Games Workshop etc
<snip>

I don't do either of those options, I try and keep purchases in 15/6/3 mm low while selling of 25+ mm figures, and the wife is now part-time and yet I am definitely not first tier. 

Gracias,

Glenn

Who bought his first army at 25 cents per foot figure and 50 cents per cavalry figure.

Which doubled the next go around...
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Praefectusclassis

• Librarian
    • Karwansaray Publishers
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2014, 08:20:03 PM »
Hi guys
After we launched the survey I too worried that I set it low. While answering, the question is of course open to interpretation as well: do you calculate club dues, magazine subscriptions, fuel to go to clubs/shows, paints, construction materials, or only minis, rules and terrain? (Needs to be clearer for a follow-up). However, the 5182 answers to that question are divided fairly equally. Of course it's possible there's a lot of low-guessing going on there...

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2014, 10:33:05 PM »
Its very hard to write a bullet proof question and almost always questions ... and answers ... are open to interpretation.

That was just one that seemed out of whack to me. I would bet people under estimate. I just happen to have been keeping an exact eye on money recently so knew the real figure!

I thought the survey was good and I am looking forward to the results.

• Librarian
    • Karwansaray Publishers
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2014, 03:13:06 PM »
Who knows, perhaps it'll work as an inadvertent wake-up call. Or the opposite... "Look honey, the average wargamer spends 800 pounds per year on their hobby. I am way below average, so I should be allowed to make up the difference!"

It goes without saying that WSS will deny any responsibility for consequences resulting from actions undertaken based on survey outcomes. 8)

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2014, 10:16:30 PM »
Who knows, perhaps it'll work as an inadvertent wake-up call. Or the opposite... "Look honey, the average wargamer spends 800 pounds per year on their hobby. I am way below average, so I should be allowed to make up the difference!"

It goes without saying that WSS will deny any responsibility for consequences resulting from actions undertaken based on survey outcomes. 8)

Hilarious idea ... dangerous but funny!

• Librarian
    • Karwansaray Publishers
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2014, 07:12:46 AM »
Hi guys
Just wanted to give this thread a bump. We've got 7200+ ( :o  ;D) responses so far and a few days to go. If you haven't yet added your answers, we'd be grateful if you did and made the Great Wargaming Survey even more successful. Thanks!

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2014, 07:26:56 AM »
Did I win?!?
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

• Librarian
    • Karwansaray Publishers
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2014, 07:35:20 AM »
 o_o o_o o_o o_o (still computing)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2014, 09:16:35 AM »
To be published in September's issue of WS&S, by any chance?

My, but that issue's going to be full of good stuff...  ;)

• Librarian
    • Karwansaray Publishers
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2014, 09:20:40 AM »
It IS going to be full of good stuff, but I doubt we'll be able to make a proper analysis and write an article in the few days between the closing of the survey and the deadline for the magazine.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2014, 04:37:56 PM »
Data!

Exclaimed in our very best Thomas Dolby impression...
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!