Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 11, 2024, 01:34:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697107
  • Total Topics: 118808
  • Online Today: 409
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 234
Total: 240

Recent

Author Topic: LAC Sweden Meet August 9th  (Read 9578 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
LAC Sweden Meet August 9th
« on: July 30, 2008, 12:39:06 PM »
Some of the Lead Adventurers in Sweden will meet in Stockholm on the 9th of August to play out a T&T sceario featuring an arctic encounter between a renegade German submarin and a scientific polar expedition investigating an ancient and arcane find.

And forum member is welcome to participate shoule you find yourself in Stockholm said date. Please contact yours truly by PM for details.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: LAC Sweden Meet August 9th
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 06:03:05 PM »
Some of the Lead Adventurers in Sweden will meet in Stockholm on the 9th of August to play out a T&T sceario featuring an arctic encounter between a renegade German submarin and a scientific polar expedition investigating an ancient and arcane find.

And forum member is welcome to participate shoule you find yourself in Stockholm said date. Please contact yours truly by PM for details.

Regrettably on that very date I shall be staying at my In-laws in the delightful city of Leicester in the wonderful Midlands of Engalnd. I know where  would rather be >:(
Have a great game and as compensation for my lack of attendance can you provide lots of photos. It sounds like a great game :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 10:01:22 PM »
Quote from: Malamute
Have a great game and as compensation for my lack of attendance can you provide lots of photos.

We will. With hats.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 11:26:32 PM »
Which reminds me, I'm really not photogenic, so now I'm feeling compelled to show up in a balaclava. I'll be like Kenny from South Park. Imagine the scene:

Rhoderic: Hmgfh bwhnfh hrffhpff.
Hammershield: What's that? You want your submarine crew to jump in the ice-cold water, effectively killing them for the intents of this scenario?
Rhoderic: Hrrfh! Ghfghf Pfhmmbmfh!
Hammershield: Well, if you say so...
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 11:29:00 PM »
gha.. i'm starting to feel i should call in sick for the 30th birthday thingy and go down to stockholm instead..  lol

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 11:37:55 PM »
Which reminds me, I'm really not photogenic, so now I'm feeling compelled to show up in a balaclava. I'll be like Kenny from South Park. Imagine the scene:

Rhoderic: Hmgfh bwhnfh hrffhpff.
Hammershield: What's that? You want your submarine crew to jump in the ice-cold water, effectively killing them for the intents of this scenario?
Rhoderic: Hrrfh! Ghfghf Pfhmmbmfh!
Hammershield: Well, if you say so...

*clatter of dice* Lets se... Balistic skills 4, Wounds 1, deduct -2 for Save which makes... Oh no! Someone shot Rhoderic!

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 12:01:51 AM »
OMG they've killed rhoderic  :D

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 09:54:53 PM »
LONG POST

Here's the first draft of the set up:

On the on the 17th of July in the year 1889 the Swedish engineer S.A. Andree was first man to lead an expedition to reach the North Pole by air. The heroic explorer navigated the hydrogen balloon 'Örnen (I)' with the help of the engineer Gustaf Fraenkel and photographer Nils Strindberg from Danskön in the Svalbard Archipelago with a brief touchdown on the magnetic pole to finally land on the northern cost of the Labrador Peninsula.

As the trio was picked up and returned in glorious splendour to Stockholm on the steamship “Vega” there was several vague but boastful speeches from members of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences of 'great geographical and scientific discoveries' of 'immeasurable importance and dignity'. This was further enhanced by the Academy's, with the financial support of His Royal Majesty King Oscar II himself,  second lighter-than-air expedition the very next spring. The purpose of the expedition was never fully revealed to be anything but 'scientific' but rumours flourished that it was to investigate and lay claim to new undiscovered tracts of land.

On the 6th of June, the almost twice as large 'Örnen II' set out from Svalbard with its crew, now its original crew of Andree, Fraenkel and Strindberg reinforced with two: ryttmästare (colonel) baron Claes Caspar Wrede of Elimä and naval captain Count Carl Hamilton. The crew was seen waving their farewells as the balloon raised in to the backlight of the Aurora Borealis. Their corpses were not to be found again until three decades passed.

On a stormy spring day of 1930 a Trondheim cod angler caught a curious object on his hook. It was a flat, dented zinc tin wrapped in sheets of cork, now partially rotted away. As the tin was opened and the contents on a brief examination revealed to be the log of the well known Baron Wrede, it was quickly dispatched to Stockholm.

On a more thorough examination by representatives of the Royal Academy of Sciences the position of the floundered expedition were revealed: 80°09′05″N 32°35′37″E / 80.15139, 32.59361, the remote Kvitøya of the outer Svalbard archipelago. But more in the water dissolved papers alarming were the fragmented reports of new land, a pinnacle of a rock protruding through the ice, rife with archaeological finds. Among them were hieroglyphic slats of enormous size. The pinnacle, the position lost but called King Oscar’s Land, was the obviously goal of the second expedition.

Curiously and alarmingly there was also a report of strange fauna on the polar island, one specimen where of the expedition had managed to cage and bring onto the balloon on the return trip. A few final scratches in the log book by Baron Wrede say: “It is breaking out! Arms everywhere! We are going down!”

The log book of Baron Wrede caused much ado within the Scandinavian scientific community. The Norwegians, now unlike when the expedition was first launched an independent country, were concerned since Örnen II was to be found on their soil. In Sweden, King Gustav V, demanded full insight in the reports since his father, the late Oscar II had personally financed the expedition. The newly independent republic of Finland was keen to show their Nordic loyalty (Wrede being of Swedish Finish stock). By a strange turn of events, probably through spies in Norway, the Danish got news of the log and decided to approach the Swedish academy, offering experienced polar seafarers from the icy waters of Greenland and Iceland.

As a result and under much secrecy The League of the Nordic Academies of Sciences was formed to finance a steam ice breaker expedition to 1) find the remains of Örnen II and there find further clues to the whereabouts of 2) the strange land King Oscars Land. Volunteers for the expedition were such illustrious names as Carl Gustaf von Rosen, Otto Nordenskjöld (son of  Adolf Erik), Sven  Hedin, Fritiof Nansen, Jens Sörensen Bering, Roald Amundsen d.y., Birger Mörner af Morlanda, Alfred Gabriel Nathorst…

A final turn of events, not known to The League, was that King Gustav V of Sweden casually mentioned the whole curious affair to his wife Queen Victoria (nee of Baden) as the afternoon tea was served. The Queen, being an ardent Germanophile, passed this on to her remote cousin Graf Witchheimer of Baden-Meinhoff shortly before the new expedition set out in April of 1930 and just days before her on death (heart attack).

Graf Witchheimer, formerly Navy captain of the Kaiserliche Marine had a mercenary submarine still in operation…
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 08:17:41 PM by hammershield »

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 10:50:19 PM »
All of which is a long-winded way to say "The shit is about to match coordinates with the air-conditioning unit" ;D

I love the background story! This is seriously going to be the coolest scenario I'll have played so far!

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 07:59:33 AM »
Great story. That count Carl Hamilton isn't by accident a special agent of the swedish secret service with killer abilities to make James bond flush? lol
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 09:57:02 AM »
Hi,

I should have known earlier. I would have tried everything to come. Its not really far away from Kiel.

The scenario sounds great and I hope you will have fun. Pls make lots of pictures and make a report.

Cheers
Björn
, ,

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 10:08:25 AM »
Unfortunately I cannot attend this show, in spite of my will. Everybody at home has his/hers birthday and cannot meet you in Stockholm.

So, Gentlemen, we pray to your kind gracious kind to let us have a lot [and more] pictures to inspire us. My 64 painted penguins want a meaning of life.
The setting will be Arctic or Antarctic? If arctic then my penguins should go back in their shelves again. Who knows next time they will be 88!
argsilverson

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 12:58:11 PM »
Last time I checked the North Pole was in the Arctic buy hey, what do I know?, I was a geographical retard according to my 6th grade geo teacher.

Thanks for the encouraging comments. Sorry Driscoles, as you may have guessed the whole thing is a bit of an ad-hoc engagement.

I was going for the archetypical sailing-ship-stuck-in-the-ice but suddenly remembered Andrees foolish attempt with a balloon. Lot more character and more of a local spin, methought.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:21:39 AM by Hammers »

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 02:06:54 PM »
Great back story, I may of course have to steal your ideas. 8)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 02:09:40 PM »
You are right. North Pole is still in the Arctics. Just noticed it.
My penguins decided not to migrate to the North Pole, so I am going on Holidays (not in the arctics of course).

Looking forward for your photos !!!