Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:03:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690960
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Who makes the best spears and pikes?  (Read 3353 times)

Bezzo

Who makes the best spears and pikes?
« on: August 07, 2014, 10:33:48 PM »
I am refurbishing a lot of my old figs, mainly 25mm ECW, and ancients. I am sick of straightening pikes and spears that are so bent they look like pretzels, and have all the tensile strength of cooked spaghetti.

Who makes and sells a decent spear which does not begin to droop as soon as you stand it upright. Something with a shaped head as I also do not want sharpened pins and wire.

Can you please supply suggestions?

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Re: Who makes the best spears and pikes?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 10:49:53 PM »
Old Glory?  http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/products.asp?cat=407

Edit:  Some sources (may be dupes) follow -

Edit:  Xyston - http://www.scotiagrendel.com/Xyston/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_3_16_56 spears (uncut)?

Edit:  http://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=62&page=1

<snip probable dupes>

I bought mine off Ebay but I can't find the source right now...

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 11:00:20 PM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 11:21:27 PM »
with a shaped head as I also do not want sharpened pins and wire.

Go brass. It's worth it.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 12:04:02 AM »
Perry sell some decent brass spears

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/index.php?cPath=27

They are pretty tough and remain straight.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 04:43:35 AM »
<snip>

Who makes and sells a decent spear which does not begin to droop as soon as you stand it upright. Something with a shaped head as I also do not want sharpened pins and wire.

Can you please supply suggestions?

If steel constitutes "... sharpened pins and wire..." then go with brass although metal tips still penetrate tennis shoes...

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 11:42:46 AM »
No what I meant was I do not want a simple length of wire which has been given a pointy tip. What I am after is something with a definite spearhead at the business end.

edit - illustration added
Ah, got it.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 12:42:52 PM »
I get mine from Gripping Beast and Perry's.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Steve63

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 12:48:02 PM »
1st Corps and Front Rank

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 04:22:23 PM »
I would guess that means sharpened wire without a shaped spearhead.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 01:12:13 AM »
I believe the Front Rank 'spears' are the same items that they supply for axles on gun carriages and wagons - it is a really hard steel with blunt ends.

I have smashed and ground the Foundry supplied steel spears in the past to the shape you have in the picture but now use those supplied by Northstar under the Crusader miniatures range
http://www.crusaderminiatures.com/prod.php?prod=350&cat=12&sub=31&page=1

Also sold by Wayland Games, CPModels to name a few.

Xystron also do some and I have just put some on Rus Cavalry I am painting for a commission
http://www.scotiagrendel.com/Xyston/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_3_16_56&products_id=162

I grind the 'waist' into the spears (15mm & 25/28mm) by clamping a chain saw sharpening stone in a vice, putting the spear in the Dremel chuck, switch on the Dremel and then lightly touch the spear to the stone. As the stone is round it will cut it's shape into the spear.
http://www.dremel.com/en-ca/Accessories/Pages/SubCategories.aspx?catid=2049
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 02:07:27 AM »
I sand a taper on the end off the rod (technically I twirl the end in the groove of a pocket diamond grit knife sharpener, but a bit of folded sandpaper would do the same), then sculpt the spearhead from epoxy.

I use a stiff epoxy like Aves or steel-impregnated plumber's putty, not Green Stuff, 'cause I like to use files to give it a thin, crisp shape after it's hardened.

I also use carbon fiber rod, as with thin rod even brass or steel can bend if the figure gets dropped or something. This way I don't have to compromise on looks by "rounding up" the shaft thickness from true scale for the sake of durability. It also takes paint better. Carbon fiber rod sounds exotic, but it's actually a common staple at hobby shops that deal in RC cars and planes, and the price is comparable to brass, if not cheaper.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 10:10:36 AM »
Here's the Gripping Beast spears - http://www.grippingbeast.com/product.php?ItemID=1640

40 of them for £5.60, so what's that, about 14p each? They call them spears, but in fact at 10cm they're long enough for use as 20ft pikes as well.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 12:30:12 AM »
I like wire spears meself, but is there much difference between the ones you can get from UK shops? Most of the spears, pikes and yari I've looked at seem to be the same, as in from-the-same-source.

I grind the 'waist' into the spears (15mm & 25/28mm) by clamping a chain saw sharpening stone in a vice, putting the spear in the Dremel chuck, switch on the Dremel and then lightly touch the spear to the stone. As the stone is round it will cut it's shape into the spear.
http://www.dremel.com/en-ca/Accessories/Pages/SubCategories.aspx?catid=2049

Need to get a decent dremel sometime, for that and other things. I've tried using a cheapo JML hand drill in the same way, and it kinda worked, but it was also a bit rubbish.

I sand a taper on the end off the rod (technically I twirl the end in the groove of a pocket diamond grit knife sharpener, but a bit of folded sandpaper would do the same) sculpt the spearhead from epoxy.

I use a stiff epoxy like Aves or steel-impregnated plumber's putty, not Green Stuff, 'cause I like to use files to give it a thin, crisp shape after it's hardened

The apoxie sculpt isn't too brittle, in those small, thin shapes, for regular gaming use?
Still, might give it a try meself sometime. I've already got a bagful of north star spears to work through, but I need something new to do with putty scraps too. I wonder if some kind of press mould or stamp would work?

I also use carbon fiber rod, as with thin rod even brass or steel can bend if the figure gets dropped or something. This way I don't have to compromise on looks by "rounding up" the shaft thickness from true scale for the sake of durability. It also takes paint better. Carbon fiber rod sounds exotic, but it's actually a common staple at hobby shops that deal in RC cars and planes, and the price is comparable to brass, if not cheaper.

Aah. Gonna have to look out for that too.

Considering the number of spears I want to replace - maybe around 200 - I really want something "off the peg" to save a bit of time. The thought of making 200 spearheads makes me break out in a cold sweat.

There is that. lol

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 01:24:05 PM »
The apoxie sculpt isn't too brittle, in those small, thin shapes, for regular gaming use? Still, might give it a try meself sometime. I've already got a bagful of north star spears to work through, but I need something new to do with putty scraps too. I wonder if some kind of press mould or stamp would work?

The way I do it is to actually use the sharpened/tapered end of the rod as the core and point of the head, so the epoxy is basically like "wings" on either side of the rod's point forming the delta or blade shape of the spearhead. Once I've used the files to refine the shape, the whole thing blends together seamlessly. I wouldn't want to sculpt the entire head out of epoxy like the head of a real spear, for basically the reasons you were asking after.

A two-part press mold would probably work. Might require compromising on the scale thickness of the spearhead, and that small an amount of putty might need very delicate handling to keep it from being distorted during demolding, but I imagine it's doable. Still be a long afternoon doing 200 of them though, regardless of how you do it. I mostly build character/adventure party type stuff, rather than large armies, so my apologies if my methods don't scale up well (they often don't, it seems).

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 05:49:11 PM »
The way I do it is to actually use the sharpened/tapered end of the rod as the core and point of the head, so the epoxy is basically like "wings" on either side of the rod's point forming the delta or blade shape of the spearhead... I wouldn't want to sculpt the entire head out of epoxy like the head of a real spear, for basically the reasons you were asking after.

Aye, but apoxie sculpt is still relatively brittle stuff. Though I guess if you had problems with it popping off, you'd've said so!  :D