Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 07:01:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691287
  • Total Topics: 118383
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What happens to your collection when you're gone?  (Read 14588 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: What happens to your collection when you're gone?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 03:00:21 PM »
I call dibs on Upsheet Creek!!

I think that those that the buildings are named after should get dibs on that place.
 ;)

former user

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 03:31:21 PM »
now that's an interesting discussion...
here my 2ct:

most of the collection of anyone will be unpainted lead and un- or half assembled kits
good idea would be to store them with an inventory and pictures, best idea would be to write a name on it who should get it and mention these in a will

I always thought about installing an online repository where everyone can submit pictures and addresses of their collections and other members can call dibs on. In the unhappy case this might help a lot redistributing them.

As to the painted collections - let's be honest
I have seen large 20ys old collections untouched dusting in glass cases, and collectors preferring the new shineys over their 10 year old miniatures (which are still excellently painted).
if they pass away, and this will happen sooner then later, the handful of friends who they share the hobby with might distribute them among themselves (out of nostalgia for the old fellow) and they might contribute some financial tribute to the widow, but not because they are worth anything to anybody but a decreasing number of other senile geezers. And noone will play with them but You and possibly a few friends. Their value is decreasing exponentially every year

the only purpose the miniatures available now might serve 10-20 years from now is in a digital museum for the hobby, where they have been 3D scanned and can be printed out for everyone to buy for tuppence.

and this only if such luxuries will be affordable then - otherwise they might be sought after for the metal and melted down on sight ;-)  (like many lead, pewter and bronze miniatures from the antiquity that could be bought at every temple corner)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:45:53 PM by bedwyr »

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 04:09:44 PM »
My Dad is currently in the process of sorting through a close friend's collection since he passed.
A lot of it was based and ready and has gone onto ebay with the money raised going to his friend's wife and family, other bits he is rebasing, touching up etc. with the ultimate aim being for it to end up on ebay and the money to his friend's wife and family. It has been a long process and is still on going but I think it has been worthwhile, especially with the amounts of money that he has made for them.

Myself, I have told my wife to give everything to my brother and my dad, who both wargame, to do with as they see fit.

former user

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 04:17:41 PM »
this is a good thing...
but apart from the service he is doing to his friend's family, would it have recompensed the work he has put into it?

what I want to say - is this kind of collection evaluation not grief work for our passed away wargaming buddies in reality?

my point actually being:

our collections are only worth the time and passion we put into it, and the fun we share with others (especially that one) - the monetary value is negligable

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 05:47:44 PM »
Most of my stuff is still blistered/boxed or at least labeled. My wife should dump them on ebay. The same with most of my record collection (which may be even easier).
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 06:20:25 PM »
I think that at the very very least, even if you don't catalogue anything, make sure one or two people you TRUST IMPLICITLY know that the collection is worth money. That should at least prevent it being thrown out willy-nilly.

If you have a ballpark figure then you can add that, though if you're telling someone who knows little or nothing about wargames, make sure they know the real value (i.e. What people might actually pay) could be notably more or less and that they should find someone who knows about the hobby (probably one of your gaming friends) to help them dispose of it. This is still valid advice even if you want it to be given away rather than sold.

That's a conversation that only takes five minutes.

As for me, I suspect my collection would net maybe a few hundred, and only then because it's somewhat decently painted (ego! lol) . Where things get really terrifying is my and my wife's collection of Magic cards. We've been collecting and playing since 1993-94 and the value of that stuff is plain insanity now.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 06:22:18 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 06:35:19 PM »
My will stipulates the collection is to be divided between my brothers (if they want it or are still around ... although secretly I hope to outlive them both by at least half a century) or sold/disposed of as my wife sees fit otherwise.

Frankly once I shuffle off this mortal coil I don't suppose anyone will feel much like having fun anymore, since their brightest light will have moved on. But in any case, I care not about worldly things, such as my possessions, my organs or pectoral implants and frankly it matters not to me what happens to them once I have transformed into a beautiful butterfly angel, or the scary skeleton thing at the end of the corridor in 'Poltergeist'.

The most likely scenario is that my spirit will inhabit my toys and they will drag my carcass into a giant mausoleum, from which I emerge every now and then to feast on the living. They will act as my protectors and facilities department in the undeath afterlife.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 06:58:55 PM »
This discussion raise another interesting question...what is the average age of the wargaming community. I would guess we are becoming older...

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 07:25:58 PM »
I would guess we are becoming older...

I'd say that's a safe bet.

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 08:07:59 PM »
Leave it all to my son, hopefully by then maybe the grandkids too so he/they can remember & possibly pass on some of the fun and quality time we shared.
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 09:48:33 PM »
Leave it all to my son, hopefully by then maybe the grandkids too so he/they can remember & possibly pass on some of the fun and quality time we shared.

My thoughts exactly!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 10:08:25 PM »
It's just stuff,frankly when I'm gone it can all go into a skip,my wife does not need the worry; you have to be realistic.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 10:13:49 PM »
My wife & son both game - so we have a house full.
Books are our main downfall - we went to Hay on Wye again last week and exceeded all previous visits, buying 82 books on one day (including another 16 Ospreys to add to the Osprey bookcase).....
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

former user

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2014, 11:06:57 PM »
Like it or not what we have amassed has a pecuniary value. Or in the case of the art collector a Monet-ary value.

how much does one get for 2nd hand miniatures or painted ones (by the regular wargamer, not pro painters like Cubs etc)?
would it pay off the work put into selling it?

hardly my experience, but I am willing to learn better

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2014, 11:17:56 PM »
WOW Happy thread

I have been selling off my old stuff to paint for family holidays etc and I can tell you if you started in the 1980s so of it is Worth a mint§ I have made thousdands rather than hundreds. But it takes knowledge for how/where to list and time.

Mine goes to my brother/gamer friends to be sold for my wife and children. With a chunk for charity (as I have be doing since I started).