Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:44:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690928
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Terra Block Gaming System  (Read 25653 times)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
Terra Block Gaming System
« on: August 22, 2014, 09:18:17 PM »

This is a project that I have been working on for quite a time now. The idea is to have a relatively cheap system, pre-painted, quick to put together and usable for a wide range of genres including pulp gaming, modern skirmish, fantasy and sci-fi.

The components all come pre-painted on both sides, slate grey for floors and granite grey for walls. They are made from 3mm Medite. The pieces in photo are all from starter set, which assembles in just under 25 minutes!

Full details at http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/Terra-Blocks
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Terra Block Gaming System
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 09:37:11 PM »
Looks good, I wonder how painting and accessorizing them can do.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 09:54:29 PM »
Been thinking about something like this for "interior" games. Normally I like nice scenery, but for building interiors you really have to have something more modular and flexible. This is one sort of project where no-frills low cost really wins out over nice high quality.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 11:33:24 PM »
Glad you like it. We have aimed to make the basics available first at a good price. The starter set in photograph covers 300mm x 300mm and costs £25, for a painted kit. If you take a look at photos on web site their are some very detailed pieces which we have not released yet, like window pieces, glazed with Perspex with sills, frames and glazing bars on both sides. You can't get much more like a real window than that.

Over the coming months, we have a very long list of extra pieces that we are going to release.

We are also going to set up a customer request system, so if you have a great idea for a new piece that we do not make, we will put it on site as a customer requested product. If you can get 10 people to commit to buying it we will get it designed and made straight away.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 02:27:37 AM »
Good looking set, Chris. We could use something like that for our Vice Alley campaign.

THANKS for sharing.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 02:55:43 AM »
Offhand, I think an easy element to add would be wooden floors (parquet or floorboards or both) and walls with simple wainscotting (or wainscotting as a simple add-on). That would be good for any period from the late Tudor era through to Pulp and even modern gaming.

EDIT: One idea is to have double-sided floors. Slabs/Tiles (as shown above) on one side, floorboards on the other.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 03:00:54 AM by FramFramson »

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 06:42:46 AM »
Glad you like it! Vice Alley is certainly one of the games that I am looking forward to playing on my set! Can't wait to get my hands on a copy as I have a good collection of Gangsters and Feds painted up just waiting for a good set of rules to get them out onto the table.

Excuse the non Pulp figures in photo, but this was unfortunately the only shot that I have taken that shows window section. I have just added some new photos to Terra-Block gallery at http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/Terra-Blocks/Terra-Block-Gallery

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 07:36:01 PM »
My first thought was - "hmm, bit plain" but the idea has grown on me incredibly quickly and I actually admire the idea more now FOR keeping it plain.  I could see a simple colour pairing combo (brown floor/white walls, but other spring to mind) being an effective interior, for example.

Nice one, and very well priced!

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 07:56:33 AM »
Burning a stone pattern into the face would make this suitable for modular dungeons too....wouldn't it?

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 09:34:32 AM »
Keeping it plain has been a conscious design decision for two reasons, firstly plain grey walls can be used with a little imagination to represent dungeons, sewers, starship interiors, temples, warehouses, offices, apartments etc. Secondly we wanted to be able to offer a very cost effective starter set. With this design we can make a 300mm x 300mm set for £25, and a 300mm x 600mm set for £45. This is because the pricing of a laser cut product needs to be based on the cutting time.

However, we see this as a strategic range which will get new items added on a weekly basis and we are planning to put a mechanism in place where customers can request a piece, then when 10 customers have committed to buying we will get it made.

The next pieces to become available will be wooden floorboard floor tiles, stone texture walls and corners, double doors and single doors in different styles which will all open and a piece with 15mm scale doors and windows.

Online Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 09:43:08 AM »
Do you do custom builds? I have a series of modular scifi units CADed up with the intent of seeing how much it would be to get them laser cut. I always figured it would be too expensive so I resigned myself to making them out of foamboard.

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 10:47:50 AM »
Yes, we can do custom builds.

Send me an email at chris_abbey@btinternet 'dot' com

We would need drawings in a format we can work with, ideally Correl Draw or HPGL, but their are other formats we can import.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Samulus

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 11:42:13 AM »
Great idea -  I've been waiting about 2 years for someone to do this. I was going to make a set myself but it was a lot of effort with only basic tools...

Personally I would strategically place magnets at different points on the walls and create a range of flavour pieces with fairly bland walls and floors. That way you could swap in specifics i.e. light fittings, signs/paintings, consoles/terminals, wood panelling etc to flavour the setting towards something specific.

First request -  do a bank vault piece with a big door like this: http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/images/EQ1.jpg

Thanks for putting this on the market. I'm in!

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 08:05:05 PM »
I have just added the system for dealing with customer requests for new 'Terra-Block' pieces to our web site.

The idea is that in a similar way to Wargames Factory and Eureka, you can request a new piece to be made as part of the Terra-Block range, do a bit of lobbying around your gaming mates to see if any one else would like it. When we get 10 pre-ordered, we will get it made and shipped out to you.

The form for requesting new pieces is available from : http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/Terra-Blocks

Looking forward to making some of your requests!

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 11:34:55 AM »
I've had a number of emails asking for some photos of miniatures other than 28mm in action on Terra-Block terrain. I've added some shots of both 15mm and 20mm miniatures in action on our photo gallery.

http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/Terra-Blocks/Terra-Block-Gallery