Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 07:06:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1695399
  • Total Topics: 118684
  • Online Today: 555
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: American deer & elk: where are the minis? WOODLAND SCENICS O SCALE DEER  (Read 12814 times)

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
So here’s an idea for a Kickstarter. Read on.

Part of the downside of gaming the Old West—or any North American wargaming--is the paucity of accurate wildlife miniatures. I’ve pontificated here about the vulture, but I’m talking specifically here of North American deer and elk: I have been unable to find 28mm minis that accurately depict the native species, in this case Mule deer, White-tailed deer, and Elk (Wapiti). Various European deer are available (Red, Fallow, and Roe deer are available from Foundry, for example) plus caribou and the like. But there are differences, for those to whom this kind of accuracy matters.   :D

It may not be an issue to non-Americans, who aren't aware of these differences, but it is somewhat irritating to us colonials, who see deer in the countryside all the time.

I’m not sure of historic deer ranges, but mule deer are currently found west of the Missouri River and are the typical Rocky Mountain deer. White-tails are found throughout the east and west to the Rockies, but not in the southwest. Elk historically ranged throughout what is now the United States (except Texas and parts of the southwest).

White-tailed deer--red-brown in summer, grey-brown in winter, underside of tail pure white

Mule deer--grey-brown, whiter face, white tail/rump with black tip to tail

Elk/wapiti--brown, larger than deer

Note the difference in antlers: from the simpler White-tail, increasing in structure with the Mule deer, and the ornate larger antlers of the Elk.

For comparison, here's the European Red deer:

More similar to the Elk than the American deer.

And I haven't even mentioned that denizen of the American plains, the Pronghorn antelope, which isn't really an antelope but fills a similar ecological niche here in the New World because....

Oh never mind.

Can't find these either.

I haven't searched the forums extensively, but here is a thread about elks:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=53047.0

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 03:57:09 PM by oabee »
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
Re: American deer and elk: where are the minis?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 03:46:48 PM »
http://eurekaminusa.com/collections/dark-ages-saga-animals-28mm
http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/general-purpose-animals-carts-and-baggage/woodland-animals-collection-bcgpr009/

That's what I'm talkin' about. The Foundry link gives you Red, Fallow, and Roe deer---all European, although the Red male could pass as an Elk if it's not too small---and the Eureka link gives you a "stag" which resembles no American deer and has the wrong antlers for an elk.

At least there's plenty of buffalo available out there. And longhorns.

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 05:29:19 PM »
I'd rather have skulls with attached antlers - they were a common theme on old west buildings.

The worst thing is that 28mm antler sculpts tend to be grossly oversized and a horrible mockery that don't have much resemblance to any particular animal. Yet I can find pewter figures in about the same size in local trinket stores that do get it right in regards to the antlers and horns.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 08:11:32 AM »
Try this kickstarter for some dead dear/moose/various other dead roadkill animals and people
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/967512676/salvage-crew-28mm-humans

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 11:16:15 PM »
I'd rather have skulls with attached antlers - they were a common theme on old west buildings.

The worst thing is that 28mm antler sculpts tend to be grossly oversized and a horrible mockery that don't have much resemblance to any particular animal. Yet I can find pewter figures in about the same size in local trinket stores that do get it right in regards to the antlers and horns.

I agree: even antlers without skulls were--and are!--common decorations in the American West. Haven't spend a lot of time looking, but Tabletop Art's collection is all I could come up with:

Secret Weapon has a buffalo skeleton:

From conversations on other forums I take it that no one really makes longhorn cattle skulls, either, which would be helpful.

Truth be told, the skeleton discussion is more appropriate for the Old West forum. I saw a deer on a recent Old West post which was clearly a European Red Deer, which gave rise to my post. Actually, my best use of American deer minis would be for hidden movement markers in my French and Indian War skirmish gaming.

Still, being forced to populate our miniature American forests and plains with European species is, well, annoying.

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 03:53:02 PM »
Still, some "live" versions of North American animals, especially Deer and Elk would be nice.
It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
Re: American deer and elk: where are the minis? Pennsylvanian elk
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 02:04:13 AM »
Just got back from a trip to Pennsylvania, and made a detour into elk country near Benezette. Got up close and personal with a small herd of three dozen elk, or wapiti, 3 of which were bulls. Wapiti, as near as I can tell, is a Shawnee term meaning "white rump." The rut had just ended, so the boys got along, although they kept their distance. The rest, of course, were the females, called cows. Elk were reintroduced into Pennsylvania from the western US starting in 1913, and the area now boasts the largest free-roaming herd in the northeastern USA.

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
Re: American deer and elk: where are the minis? PENNSYLVANIAN ELK PHOTOS
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 02:20:53 AM »
nice elk pics.

Here in TN and MS white tail are grey brown year round and are mighty good eating. :P

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 07:33:25 AM »
Great photos,  the top one is my favourite. A mini based on that shot would be really good.

Offline wolfie907

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 04:22:44 AM »
a moose is what I would like to find

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 12:32:52 AM »
a moose is what I would like to find

Only one I can find so far is from Brigade Games:

http://brigadegames.3dcartstores.com/Moose--set-28mm_p_3086.html

I'll post more if I find them.

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 03:39:48 PM »
For those of you who insist on getting those details just exactly right:  o_o
If you need a painting guide to American large mammals, the Smithsonian has an excellent series of field guides online:

WHITE TAILED DEER (Most of USA except arid/desert areas in west; SE Canada, most of western Canada)
Male, winter coat, left; female, summer coat, right, with fawn

MULE DEER (Western USA and Canada)
Coastal summer variation, left (male); inland winter variation, male (center) and female (right)

ELK (Historically widespread throughout entire USA (except extreme southern fringe); SE Canada, and most of western Canada)
Male, bugling, left; female, right

MOOSE (Historically found in northern USA and Rocky Mountains, well north into most of Canada and Alaska)
Female, left; male, right

PRONGHORN ANTELOPE (Western USA in open, expansive terrain)
Female, right; male, left

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
Re: American deer and elk: where are the minis? PAINTING GUIDE
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 01:06:39 PM »
try this one :

:D
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
Re: American deer and elk: where are the minis? PAINTING GUIDE
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 07:09:51 PM »
North Star has the former HLBS North American animals.  Unfortunately, no photos for the moose or caribou:
http://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=42&page=1