Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:52:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Who's done a kickstarter? If so, was it successful? how did it go?  (Read 7813 times)

Offline jamii

• Bookworm
Re: Who's done a kickstarter? If so, was it successful? how did it go?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 02:22:54 AM »
hmmm, I can see the point.

weeeell, then I think I need to essentially have all the minis not only sculpted, but at the least the pattern mould stage started. Show some already in metal. So ppl are rest assured what theyre getting. Perhaps atleast some prototypes of gameboard done as well.

Maybe even a blog, with a 'test run' at a convention, or game hall/hobby store whereas then others can vouch for the said product.

Ive deffinately got my work cut out for me.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 08:40:15 AM »
hmmm, I can see the point.

weeeell, then I think I need to essentially have all the minis not only sculpted, but at the least the pattern mould stage started. Show some already in metal. So ppl are rest assured what theyre getting. Perhaps atleast some prototypes of gameboard done as well.

Maybe even a blog, with a 'test run' at a convention, or game hall/hobby store whereas then others can vouch for the said product.

Ive deffinately got my work cut out for me.

Thank of it this way, how much of a product would you need to see fleshed out before you would give a total stranger money? 
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 09:09:57 AM »
You also have to contend with the bad reputation that KS has garnered. I have backed 6 projects, only one has come in on time. The others have been late by between 3 months and over a year. So now, I am very wary. It's not fair that bad performance by others will impact on you and other prospective users of KS, but it does - for me at least and I detect a general waning of enthusiasm in the community as a whole.

The more you have prepared in advance, the more serious you will appear about it. There are some simple, blindingly obvious "rules" to follow that some seem to overlook, even now after 2 or 3 years of HowNotToRunaKS.

1. Have clear, large pictures of your product, preferably sculpts not sketches.
2. Have clear, simple target amounts.
3. Have regular, small increments for stretch goals.
4. Declare exactly what your minis will be made of.
5. Declare exactly what your shipping will be.
6. Keep regular contact with your backers, during and (especially) after the completion date.
7. Be honest if (when) problems or delays happen.

Good luck with it all, hope it goes well for you. If you have some sculpts already prepared and other materials, you could start to spread the word soon. But don't leave us hanging for too long, we have a tendency to get easily distracted and ...hey, look at that over there.  ;)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 09:31:35 AM »
All good advice from Nord. For myself I have not been burned yet. But I'm a naturally anxious person who took action once two of the projects seemed to go south. Others just didn't pass the 'sniff test'. Be very clear. Also it helps to generate buzz before you announce a ks. Many successful ones came to places like this first with a project fleshed out. A good temp test of your market as well.

Offline jamii

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2014, 11:04:16 PM »
ya, I can see people wary of being burned.

alright then, first: atleast15-20 finished sculpted minis. second: atleast two pattern moulds made. third: one gameboard prototype. (with the cost for more quoted) now comes fourth: Terrain pieces...

hmmm...

That I would have to produce in my own studio. Hard dental plaster or resin.

Dental plaster is durable and cheaper vs. Resin is lightweight.

dental plaster wont wear out the silicone moulds, thus fewer moulds need to be made. thus cheaper price. vs. Urethane resin people will want more, but its more expensive, harsh on the moulds, thus = higher price.

there's a lot to consider now...  ???

Offline jamii

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 11:06:57 PM »
and no, I don't like PVC. Honestly, I think its a terrible material. Nor do I like polyester resin. If its resin, it has to be urethane...  :-I

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 01:47:09 AM »
Do you care to share what your plans are?

If you are just starting out in the business, a smaller scope of project may be easier to manage and get your foot in the door.  It seems like unless you can get backing and advertisement from some of the bigger companies, you will likely not be able to generate a ton of funds (as in significantly more than $20k.  Though I could be wrong)

I am hesitant about the success you will get from making things out of dental plaster.  It is a great material for home use, and small scale use, but it is heavy.  It chips easier than resin as well, IMO.  Your profile says you are in the US, so you can likely kiss international backers goodbye, as the US postal rates for international shipping are sky-high these days, and the weight of plaster could make it too expensive to ship out of the country.

While having 15-20 minis sculpted and cast is a big expense on your part to do upfront, it would likely encourage more backers as they will be able to see the product upfront.  Just make sure it is something the people want, as in the quality of the sculpting and the originality of the miniature.
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline jamii

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 02:27:04 AM »

I am hesitant about the success you will get from making things out of dental plaster.  It is a great material for home use, and small scale use, but it is heavy.  It chips easier than resin as well, IMO.  Your profile says you are in the US, so you can likely kiss international backers goodbye, as the US postal rates for international shipping are sky-high these days.

Exactly. I was already thinking that right after I clicked 'post'.

So ill do both; cast in both resin and dental cement. I do larger 1/5 scale resin model kits already, so I have a full vacuum, and pressure casting set up. So the only added cost would be the RTV silicone itself. I don't think my budget would have to be too high, just to cover the bulk cost of the spin-moulds, and casting.
Im more than willing to, and have, put up my own money for initial development.

For packaging, there is a place south of here in Southern California called 'Placon' which is where the clear clamshells (blisters) come from.

and yes, that is true; the cost to ship overseas to Europe is considerably high.

Im actually right now on the hunt for a store who also has a webstore who would be interested in selling 1/5 scale resin model kits in the EU, whom I could direct international customers to. As people do often complain about the shipping costs.

its more work than one would think.  :?

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 04:30:17 AM »
Sounds like you are putting some good thought into it.  Just make sure that if you go the KS route, that you will be making a decent profit per backer.  If every backer costs you money in the long run, it could be pretty hard to complete all the pledges.  My guess is that is how some of the failed projects happened - underestimated costs.

Offline jamii

• Bookworm
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 06:31:54 AM »
ya, I imagine there will be unforeseen costs, things that got missed, underestimated, etc, etc, etc. Even when you try to plan for all possible contingencies, something always pops up.

So im thinking two kickstarters; one initial one, just to cover the cost of getting the production moulds made and everything in metal with a very low budget, then a second phase for the terrain pieces, and supporting miscellany.

Any sort of guides and rules, downloadable for free in a .pdf format, or use existing rules.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2014, 10:47:09 PM »
I've never done one myself, but I have supported over 20 of them, and helped plan one that is currently running now. I just posted my thoughts up on several of the campaigns I've supported on my blog here http://obsidian3d.blogspot.ca/2014/10/kickstarter-madness.html. They might be helpful for you in planning to see what kind of things I value as a supporter. (HINT: Communication during and AFTER the campaign is huge.)
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline jamii

• Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2014, 05:34:52 AM »
thanks, Ill have to have a sit down later, and read it in more detail. Perhaps even bookmark.  :D

oh, and where is my head, here is the Placon website for the clamshells (blisters):

http://www.placon.com/products/

Ive already gotten several cases just for general packaging.  lol

Now... About those little charcoal, foam squares for cushioning.

Where in the world do I get those...  ???

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 07:07:35 PM »
Do you really need the little foam squares?Somebody once told me that they were the most expensive part of the old GW blisters - more expensive for GW than the card back, the plastic clam, even the metal mini inside! They stopped including them eventually, maybe that was why. So do you really need a cushion in there?

Offline jamii

• Bookworm
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2014, 07:33:38 PM »
Do you really need the little foam squares?Somebody once told me that they were the most expensive part of the old GW blisters - more expensive for GW than the card back, the plastic clam, even the metal mini inside! They stopped including them eventually, maybe that was why. So do you really need a cushion in there?

wait, wa? They were more expensive than the metal?

oh.  :o

I did not know that.

Offline jamii

• Bookworm
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 02:14:32 AM »
You need what a few thousand 1.5 x 2" strips of packing foam tops right.

Think outside the box. Is there somewhere near you that packs stuff with that packing foam? If so you would expect there to be offcuts of what is an unusable size for them but perfect for your needs. Go there an offer to spot a fat fifty of cash for them to fill up a big box with foam off cuts on the spot for you. Its not going to be the best method if your running a business I accept but for getting stuff you need for a KS cheap its wizard.

hmmm... that's a good idea actually.

ill have to think about that for a while. Electronics and computer parts is the first thing that comes to mind. Plates, dishes maybe.

Hmmm...