Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:19:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691080
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Miniatures for a BPRD game?  (Read 15642 times)

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
Re: Miniatures for a BPRD game?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 08:43:23 PM »
Probably the biggest factor would be how "big" the monsters would be.  If they are roughly human sized or double human sized then most any of the skirmish sets out there could work (AK:SE, Tomorrow's War, 7TV, Chain Reaction).  I don't know of any out of the box so you'd probably have to do a lot of tinkering with stats to make things balanced.

On the other handif you want really big monsters like in the comics you might have to step up to a bigger mass battle ruleset (think 40K guard vs Tyrinids).

I'll have a look at those suggestions, see if any look like a better option than Showdown.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 01:14:47 AM »
Probably the biggest factor would be how "big" the monsters would be.

What about ogdru-hem sized?  :D

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 11:49:05 AM »
What about ogdru-hem sized?  :D

I would probably have to game in 2mm if I was to introduce the Ogru-Hem, and it would take up most of the table!

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 07:46:24 PM »
You could try Fear & Faith from Ganesha Games.  It is a pretty easy to learn Horror rules set and has much of what you are looking for.  If you need some additional rules it is not hard to port things over from their other games.  Flying Lead is WW2 through modern times gun play and Song of Blade & Heroes is the Fantasy setting. 

http://www.ganeshagames.net/

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 03:21:45 PM »
SuperSystem would allow you to create squads of military types and then also allow you to tailor-fit your monsters to how you'd want them to behave.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 01:05:49 AM »
I've used SuperSystem for gaming Atomic Robo-inspired stuff, which is not dissimilar to BPRD/Hellboy.  Should work fine.

Offline nomadik

• Assistant
    • Jesse Acosta's Art Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 10:51:48 AM »
Reaper has a figure that seriously looks like Hellboy.

Wild West Wizard of Oz Lion from their Chronoscope line.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 11:50:07 AM »
I would probably have to game in 2mm if I was to introduce the Ogru-Hem, and it would take up most of the table!

Not really. Most of the Ogrdu Hem encountered in the comics would be around the size of a gallon milk jug in 28mm. It's implied they can grow pretty much indefinitely if empowered/fed, but they're usually dispatched before that snowball can get rolling. Totally gameable as a "boss monster". IIRC there was a Kaiju-sized one in the "Black Flame" arc, but that's the only really huge one I can recall (though I haven't read all the stories yet).

Ogdru Jahd though... That pretty much needs space-ship game scale to do, and it's heavily implied in the comic that them just getting free alone is the point-of-no-return failure state for the heroes (and the habitable universe), so it wouldn't be lore-friendly to have them as a dynamic tabletop presence anyway.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2015, 07:26:36 PM »
Ogdru Jahd though... That pretty much needs space-ship game scale to do, and it's heavily implied in the comic that them just getting free alone is the point-of-no-return failure state for the heroes (and the habitable universe), so it wouldn't be lore-friendly to have them as a dynamic tabletop presence anyway.

The Ogdru Jahd was probably what I was thinking of. If you read the latest series, Hell on Earth, it has loads of wargaming oportunities. The battle of Seattle, New York etc.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 06:04:10 PM »
Been a LONG time since I saw any of the comic books, so I may be confused by the film.

However, I thought the majority of 'agents' were of the Men In Black variety. I guess there were troops when in Russia, even in the movie, but I thought they were supposedly drafted from 'outside'.

Doug

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2015, 12:39:47 AM »
That's the movie version. The movies changed a lot of stuff.

In the comics the BPRD is a paramilitary organization wrapped around a core of non-military experts. Picture something like SG1, only with a later-seasons' Daniel Jackson in field command instead of O'Niel (and a civilian government director in charge of the organization instead of a general). Also they aren't secret: their ops may be classified to varying degrees, but their existence and that of both the supernatural in general and "exotic" agents like Hellboy and Abe are public knowledge. Their bases are regular buildings and ex-military facilities*, and IIRC Hellboy lives in a regular apartment somewhere.

In the movies they are basically the MIB but for the supernatural instead of aliens. All G-man suits and fancy hidden bond villian-style bases*, with their exotic members being basically willing captives, and stereotypical "masquerade" fuss and angst over keeping themselves and the supernatural totally secret from the world.

*Their base (in the comics) started out as something resembling a cross between an old government admin complex and a university, but later as the frog wars got hotter they moved it to an old DOD R&D facility in the mountains somewhere. Definitely more of a "lair", but more SGC/Shadow Moses style than MIB/Bond villain style like in the movies.

Offline Col. Aubrey Bagshot

• Mad Scientist
  • Remember... something
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2015, 12:17:58 PM »
I'd highly recommend the Horrorclix ones, as you even get a baby hellboy as part of the set.....
The sculpts are very nice indeed and when re-based and re-painted, they are well worth the effort
I bought the box set on ebay for a few pounds and was very glad i did!
Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Spike Milligan

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2015, 12:58:40 PM »
That's the movie version. The movies changed a lot of stuff.

Thanks!

"Been a LONG time since I saw any of the comic books," should probably be extended to 'and didn't read all that much anyway.' Bit embarrassed about that...

I certainly remember being intrigued long before the movie came on.

Doug

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2015, 11:10:06 PM »
I'd highly recommend the Horrorclix ones, as you even get a baby hellboy as part of the set.....
The sculpts are very nice indeed and when re-based and re-painted, they are well worth the effort
I bought the box set on ebay for a few pounds and was very glad i did!
Although its general BPRD Agents I was planning on playing with i am tempted by the horrorclix minis. I'll keep an eye out for them.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2015, 02:53:25 AM »
From what I've seen, the Hellboy Heroclix minis are fairly decent. We do quite a bit of BPRD style scenarios with Pulp Alley, including military vehicles and big monsters (see Terrors).