Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:06:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Miniatures for a BPRD game?  (Read 15641 times)

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
Miniatures for a BPRD game?
« on: November 21, 2014, 09:58:56 AM »
Inspired by Mitakashi's Tea House Hellfire game, I've decided to but together a BPRD skirmish game, using either Crossfire or Bolt Action rules. Finding Demons and monsters is no problem, but does anyone have any ideas on what minis would be suitable to use as BPRD troopers and agents. I'm not necessarily looking for the characters like Abe, Liz or Johann, more generic BPRD personel. Suggestions?
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
Re: Miniatures for a BPRD game?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 07:37:25 PM »
There was a box set from Heroclix a while back with Hellboy, Abe, Liz, etc.  For the agents you could use SWAT style troops.  Foundry Street Violence or Copplestone Assault Troops.

http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/range.php?range=FW

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/street-violence/streets-collection-bcsv001/

Another option could be Crossover Paramilitary Goons

http://crossoverminiatures.com/product-category/minions/

Fenris APEX Investigators would also be good.

http://fenrisgames.com/shop#!/APEX-investigators/c/2202439/offset=0&sort=normal

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 07:46:56 PM »
The Fenris minis would be spot on actually, I've seen them before but it didn't click. Cheers for the suggestions.

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 04:25:10 AM »
I had wanted to do the same thing but never quite gotten around to it.  I was aiming more towards the Plague of Frogs period from 10 years back when the the BPRD had a more organized and militaristic look.  I was going to do a  repaint of some AT43 UNA troopers.  They had the advantage of scaling well with the Heroclix figures.  If I was going to revisit the subject, I'd probably go with the Tactical Troopers from Puppetswar.

On the other hand if you go with the classic look from the 90's where they were guys in suits with guns you could go with Foundry's "Juno's Crew"

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 05:07:50 AM »
Hassefree have a Not-Hellboy/Not-Marv character with swappable heads IIRC.

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 04:25:46 PM »
I had wanted to do the same thing but never quite gotten around to it.  I was aiming more towards the Plague of Frogs period from 10 years back when the the BPRD had a more organized and militaristic look.  I was going to do a  repaint of some AT43 UNA troopers.  They had the advantage of scaling well with the Heroclix figures.  If I was going to revisit the subject, I'd probably go with the Tactical Troopers from Puppetswar.

On the other hand if you go with the classic look from the 90's where they were guys in suits with guns you could go with Foundry's "Juno's Crew"

Those Puppetwars minis look pretty good, and the guns would be a good match for the ones the BPRD agents use, the ones that look like beefed up Sten guns. I got two minis from Fenris which would make good Kate Corrigan and Andrew Devon representations, but the Puppetwars minis are tempting. I was edging more towards the Hell on Earth Storyline for my setting, that way I could incorporate real world soldiers and military vehicles fighting against Giant Monsters and Eldritch Horrors, all ably supported by BPRD Agents. I might start a thread to chart the progress, if it doesn't become just another lead mountain of lost hopes and dreams.

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 04:03:13 AM »
That would be pretty cool but I've found it hard to get into the Hell on Earth era myself.  The story lines are so large and the comic format is so short that it seems the BPRD has been stuck on the precipice of the Apocalypse for something like 5 years without moving the story line much.

I've got the Fenris characters too and the gal makes a great stand in for Kate.  The only thing I don't like is that they're a little on the short side with the Heroclix figures.

One note on Puppetswar though is that they are known for casting issues.  I bought a set of the troopers last year and they came with bubbles in some of the toes and gun muzzles.  On the plus side PW sent a replacement set when I complained.  They had some bubbles too but they were in different parts so I was able to cobble together a full set of figures.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 04:22:26 AM by rwwin »

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
Rules for a BPRD game?
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 02:29:38 PM »
I've got a few minis now and I think I have enough to set up a small game of BPRD Vs. Monsters, but what rule set to use? I was thinking of Showdown as I'll be making my own units and that will allow modern weapons versus magic and monsters, but there may be better options. Any thoughts?

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 03:02:05 PM »
Pulp Alley mayhaps?

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
Re: Rules for a BPRD game?
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 03:20:29 PM »
I've got a few minis now and I think I have enough to set up a small game of BPRD Vs. Monsters, but what rule set to use? I was thinking of Showdown as I'll be making my own units and that will allow modern weapons versus magic and monsters, but there may be better options. Any thoughts?

Solo or head to head with another player?

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 04:10:34 PM »
Pulp Alley mayhaps?

I thought of Pulp Alley but I would prefer and bit more "military realism" if that makes sense. Military vehicles going up against giant monsters and special forces fighting werwolves, stuff like that.

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
Re: Rules for a BPRD game?
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 04:11:15 PM »
Solo or head to head with another player?

Head to head against another player.

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 05:07:51 PM »
Probably the biggest factor would be how "big" the monsters would be.  If they are roughly human sized or double human sized then most any of the skirmish sets out there could work (AK:SE, Tomorrow's War, 7TV, Chain Reaction).  I don't know of any out of the box so you'd probably have to do a lot of tinkering with stats to make things balanced.

On the other handif you want really big monsters like in the comics you might have to step up to a bigger mass battle ruleset (think 40K guard vs Tyrinids).

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 05:19:35 PM »
This is all marvellous but what is BPRD?
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 05:58:31 PM »
Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense.  It's a comic spinoff of the original Hellboy comic series.

http://hellboy.wikia.com/wiki/Bureau_for_Paranormal_Research_and_Defense