Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:52:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691056
  • Total Topics: 118367
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Customs and Postage Fees  (Read 3537 times)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Customs and Postage Fees
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 06:26:11 PM »
It's in the producer's interest to find out the best (legal) way to identify their product on customs forms and to fill out those forms properly in order to meet the needs of their customers.

A forum like this is the perfect place to discuss and compare best-practices in order to make them available as a resource to benefit everyone.

The problem is it's rarely Duty that is the issue, it's VAT and there is no avoiding that as almost everything can be taxed that way. The marking on the box/form is largely irrelevant.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 06:58:37 PM »
A forum like this is the perfect place to discuss and compare best-practices in order to make them available as a resource to benefit everyone.

That was my hope I dare say. Though, I'm not sure that correctly filling in the forms would dodge the handling fees.

A better solution is the willingness of companies trading overseas to use other postal services like GLS, DHL, etc. As they, whilst require that you pay the necessary extra VAT, don't charge handling fees for don't so.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 07:27:14 PM »
That was my hope I dare say.
I think it would be helpful because the thresholds and criteria for 'extra fees' are so fluid around the globe.

A better solution is the willingness of companies trading overseas to use other postal services like GLS, DHL, etc. As they, whilst require that you pay the necessary extra VAT, don't charge handling fees for don't so.
Case in point. It's this sort of courier company that hits us hardest in Canada, charging ridiculous extra fees for processing very small amounts of duty. Even if duty is not due, they will interpret it as so and hold your parcel to ransom.

Maybe a reference document is just pie-in-the-sky thinking.  :'(
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 10:30:45 PM »
I think it would be helpful because the thresholds and criteria for 'extra fees' are so fluid around the globe.
 Case in point. It's this sort of courier company that hits us hardest in Canada, charging ridiculous extra fees for processing very small amounts of duty. Even if duty is not due, they will interpret it as so and hold your parcel to ransom.

Maybe a reference document is just pie-in-the-sky thinking.  :'(

Exactly. Anything that comes through regular post to Canada is fine. Technically customs of 15% applies for anything over $20, but I haven't been charged that in about a decade, in spite of receiving items marked over that loads of times, including twice getting items with a marked value over $200+

But if someone sends you anything via courier, oh forget it. You'll pay through the nose to receive it here.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.