Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:11:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Scribd for gamers?  (Read 1454 times)

Offline zorg

• Librarian
Scribd for gamers?
« on: December 01, 2014, 07:40:39 PM »
I'm happily using Netflix and Spotify, so the concept of Scribd is instantly appealing to me: a subscription service where you can access oodles of books and audiobooks. As far as I can tell, there's a pretty good selection on (military) history, and on Mil Scifi. I'm leaning towards jumping in (provided I can convince the wife that this doesn't go on the gaming budget, of course)

Does anyone here have experience, good or bad, with Scribd? I appreciate any feedback!
understanding is a three-edged sword

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
Re: Scribd for gamers?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 07:23:16 PM »
During my free trial subscription I found scribd to be a useful repository of gamer-generated material and looooooooooooong out of publication (20 yrs+) magazine articles, as well as documents that were free to download from the publishers but they no longer host. As with any filesharing site there are massive copyright breaches riddling the uploaded material, if that causes you concern.

I didn't pay for a subscription in the end, but made good use of the trial!

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 12:23:11 AM »
I been using Scribd a lot recently.

I don't download books, preferring to stick to kindle or iBooks for that, so have no subscription.

But I've found the collections contain lots of useful material which, although it can't be downloaded, can be read online, meaning I can see it on my iPad at home when I'm painting.

Lots of out of print material, inc some of the Montvert series, so a useful resource I'd say.

Offline zorg

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 05:41:39 AM »
Interesting. I knew Scribd started out as a file sharer, and still offers that functionality, but I perceived it as mainly a book/audiobook service akin to Spotify.

As I received a 50%-off offer, I did get a subscription. The pirated files are there, but I'm honestly not interested in those (neither to use them, nor am I especially outraged). The books and audiobooks - which are legitimate - are pretty cool though. I'll be listening to Ringworld later, and I'm reading a book I'd have bought as ebook otherwise.