Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:21:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690506
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: alcohol filters?  (Read 6808 times)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: alcohol filters?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 10:59:16 PM »
My understanding of a glaze is used to draw the various layers in shading/highlighting back together and thus making the transition less clear. Though the painterly types will likely correct me.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 01:15:17 AM »
A filter and a glaze are essentially the same thing. Everything modelers use "filters" for are basically the same things oil painters use "glazes" for. Unifying contrasting colors, creating weathering effects or gradients, color biases, etc. The two terms are interchangeable.

I think it's just a case of modelers rediscovering glazing via parallel evolution of technique rather than learning it from painters, and being unaware of the established painting term, creating their own term.

It is not the same as a wash however. You could argue that they're both the same since they're both highly thinned paint, but IMO that would be missing the point of the terms. The two are distinguished by their use: filters/glazes are for "flat" surface coverage, washes are for pooling in creases and crevices. If you're giving someone a painting recipe, telling them to apply a filter/glaze instead of a wash communicates the specific intent without having to waste words clarifying which type of "wash" you mean.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 01:41:44 AM »
I don't know why you would specifically use alcohol to thin paint rather than water.  It would dry faster, but if you're trying to get a smooth thin coat that may be a bad thing.

The little I've read about them, you want to use a paint different from the underlying paint coats.  If you painted with acrylics, you want to use oils; if you painted with oils, use acrylics.  You want the effects of the dissimilar paints so that it floats on top rather than soaking into the existing paint.

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 01:15:40 PM »
Matt you can come round in the new year and I'll run through the other methods you wanted to know about.
Theres pritty much the same methods in oil based as in acrylic.You can even blend by mixing both mediums(it will kill brushes but it can be done.)

Ahh a nice invitation, we shall have to arrange a day for me to come down.

.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 02:09:46 PM »
I don't know why you would specifically use alcohol to thin paint rather than water.  It would dry faster, but if you're trying to get a smooth thin coat that may be a bad thing.

The little I've read about them, you want to use a paint different from the underlying paint coats.  If you painted with acrylics, you want to use oils; if you painted with oils, use acrylics.  You want the effects of the dissimilar paints so that it floats on top rather than soaking into the existing paint.

As I understand it, (I could be wrong) alcohol has much less surface tension than water.  Thinning with water makes it much more likely that your paint will bead up on the surface whereas alcohol should give you a much more even coat.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 09:41:11 PM »
You can reduce the water beading by using warmer water,and drying with a hair dryer.

Online snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 10:54:58 PM »
You can reduce the water beading by using warmer water,and drying with a hair dryer.
Not really.  You would be better served to use a soap to break the surface tension.  Fairy liquid used sparingly can work.  Another off the shelf product to break surface tension is finish brilliant rinse aid.  It is added to the dishwasher to break the surface tension of the water so you do not get spots on glass.  I use it on the molds prior to casting in plaster to help get rid of air bubbles.  I also used it when applying an ink wash on my Zuzzy mats.  The wash on its own did not want to go into the cracks. 
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 05:30:32 PM »
It really does work.In fact its the main method I use on all vehicle's and figures.I'm a great beliver in the simple,If your really intent on trying to cover large areas in a single go.then add airbrush thinners to your washes as its intended to keep the pigment even.
 I'm more than happy to post pictures of examples.
Mark.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 12:49:33 AM by tin shed gamer »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 01:30:00 AM »
The Austin has a warm water based filter over it.The Lanchester has none and only small areas of wash for rust and inverted shading.The pond is nothing but six layers of washes with small points of slightly heavier paint allowed to bleed into the washes whilst each is layer is still wet.All were dried with indirect heat from a Hair dryer.
Both the tarp on the lorry and the radio tent have a filter and local washes.
Infact the board was made for a Lord of the Rings game in an hour.It is just a series of washes using nothing but the dirty water left over from cleaning my brushes.Again dried with a hair dryer.There are no areas of crackling.No open areas devoid of paint.I didn't use any paints other than humbrol,Miniature Paints,and the odd GamesWorkshop paint.
Unless I'm being paid,the day's of spending thirty plus hours on a single figure for myself are long gone.For me the fun in painting now is to go back to basic's.The less time I spend painting the better.Otherwise I'd never be out of my workshop.
Mark.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 06:22:36 AM »
They are incredibly good them Mark  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 07:44:11 PM »
Since you've posted twice James here's a few more. lol

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2014, 08:22:44 PM »
Really great results some of you have gotten with warm water and a hair dryer.   Still is that really any less work than just mixing a bit of alcohol or other "wet"ing chemical into whatever you use?

For my washes, I just use water, but I'm also doing this for grimy terrain where I can let it pool overnight to look muddy and even coverage isn't at all required.

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 09:25:40 PM »
Tin Shed Gamer - your work is fantastic!

Thanks for all the tips and advise. I'll try the alcohol method first, but will get to the others in due course.

I managed to get some rubbing alcohol in the third pharmacists that I tried today.

Will do some experimenting over the weekend and post up the results.

MM.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2014, 10:14:51 PM »
Thank you,
If your going to use alcohol as the vehicle for your pigment,you can use a hair dryer to speed up the drying and push pigment to where you need it.
I think I need to make myself a little clearer.I'm not Anti mixed medium vehicles.Infact I do used them when a water based wash will damage the surface.
However I don't openly advocate adding a chemical/alcohol to an Acrylic non toxic paint
(As I've no way of knowing how old anyone viewing my post actually is.Or how much common sence flows through them.ie all those who repoint their brushes by putting them in there mouths).
That said it doesn't matter which you use.The pitfalls are the same.Over loading the brush,using the wrong shape of brush,Trying to achive the desired effect in one coat.
It just practice combined with the odd bout of swearing.
Mark.

Online snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2014, 10:41:06 PM »
Now I am truly impressed.  Very nice work and I happen to have that Nazgul too.
Snitchy sends.