Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:14:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689773
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone own both Victory Force Wehrmacht & Copplestone minis? Or even just VF?  (Read 11032 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Just wondering what the opinions here are as to who makes the very best sculpted Wehrmacht figures in 28mm.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 09:58:15 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
Re: Highest quality Wehrmacht in 28mm?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 09:31:23 AM »
For me the old Bolt Action range (NOT the current one) when they were not Warlord.

Artizan comes 2nd, but they are getting  bit dated...
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline davidmbrits

• Assistant
    • Zen & The Art of Miniature Painting
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 10:38:34 AM »
I was looking to buy some Early War Germans from Artizan the other day, but they seem to have disappeared from their website. They still look the best to me, Crusader probably comes second.
Visit my blog: http://zenartminipainting.blogspot.co.uk/
Follow me on Twitter @ZenMiniPainting

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 07:09:53 PM »
The Assault Group WW2 German range by Richard Ansell is recommended. The other packs in the range are from a different sculptor and to my mind not my cup of tea.

I've the latest releases from the above featuring command etc. from Richard Ansell and they are a real treat.

I believe the Assault Group is revisiting the WW2 range and adding command etc. to make the range more complete.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 07:19:58 PM »
I agree with Agis: the old BAM range is a beauty. Artizan and Crusader are a close second to me and maybe even a tad better to paint (and the old BAM already paint up nicely).

It's really a pity that warlord doesn't produce a Wehrmacht range that matches the quality of their US airborne.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:24:56 PM by Warboss Nick »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 07:22:37 PM »
Damn, I didn't even know Artizan used to make early war Germans! That would have been right up my alley, as I've got loads of Artizan stuff.  :'(

Just my luck that the #1 and #2 agreed-on favourites are OOP  ::) I've been putting a small force together and the quality of available figures has really been putting me off.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:31:08 PM by FramFramson »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 08:15:19 PM »
To be honest, I have actually found that the BODIES of the newer Bolt Action Germans, specifically the Blitzkrieg early war figures, are not bad at all. Maybe they'll do with some West Wind stahlhelm heads. I've got some Russian West Wind heads and they're not spectacular but alright.

Anybody else make standalone head sprues? I know Kromlech/MaxMini do, but they're ridiculously cartoony and misproportioned. Maybe with good heads, what I can do is take the best sculpts from the various makes I've got and make them look a little more consistent and serviceable.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 08:17:05 PM by FramFramson »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 08:23:43 PM »
Yeah, it's pulp, but I need the non-gasmask ones (There are far more gas mask ones than non-gasmask ones, presumably because people love making Death Korps of Krieg conversions).

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 01:45:50 AM »
West Wind make German heads

I have always thought Victory Force have some very nice figures but they are a big 28mm , I don't own a lot as I had already  bought a lot of regular 28mm figures buy the time I found them. But if I were to start over I would go with VF and 1/48 scale vehicles
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 06:35:16 AM »
To my mind the best,by far, are the Foundry Wehrmacht scuplted by Michael Perry. They are the same size or slightly bigger than the OOP Paul Hicks Bolt Action Germans (which I would say are second best) and are in early war style though can be painted to look late war quite convincingly as Kevin Dallimore has done in one of his books.

The TAG late war Germans do look pretty good though and I may get a few.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 08:16:49 AM »
I'm always surprised to hear people praise Victory Force. The photos on the website look bad and show a limited array of poses (many awkward - VF minis don't seem to stand right!).

To my mind the best,by far, are the Foundry Wehrmacht scuplted by Michael Perry. They are the same size or slightly bigger than the OOP Paul Hicks Bolt Action Germans (which I would say are second best) and are in early war style though can be painted to look late war quite convincingly as Kevin Dallimore has done in one of his books.

The TAG late war Germans do look pretty good though and I may get a few.

These fellows?

Well, at least they're in-print and look alright. I thought they were quite small though? They look small in that image.

Could someone do me a big favour and take photo of a couple next to a Copplestone castings sculpt (Copplestone stuff is my baseline for size)? Preferably a Copplestone character with a rifle so I can see how different they are. Different sized figures is alright, but the variation in weapon sizes can be a big problem. Well, I guess you could just describe the differences/similarities, but that seems like more effort!

Just don't use Copplestone WWI British desert infantry, because those ones are abnormally large for some reason.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 08:34:50 AM by FramFramson »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
Just a little bump, with a title change, to maybe see if I can get some new eyes on this. Very interested to see how they compare.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
I will have a look in the morning (if I remember ::) ) and see what I've got & take a photo for you. I only have the falschirmjager from foundry (or home guard & commandos) though, not sure what I've got from coplestone though.

I would say that  the foundry stuff is the best though even if it is 10 plus years old

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
I will have a look in the morning (if I remember ::) ) and see what I've got & take a photo for you. I only have the falschirmjager from foundry (or home guard & commandos) though, not sure what I've got from coplestone though.

I would say that  the foundry stuff is the best though even if it is 10 plus years old

As long as the falschirmjager are to the same scale as the other Foundry stuff, that's fine. The main thing is to see if they're comparable to the Copplestone, since Copplestone stuff is the lion's share of figures I'm using.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Here are some comparative pics.
Hope they are usefull.

From left to right:
Pulp Figures, Black Tree Design russian partizan, Copplestone castings, Artizan, Wargames foundry.

And some close ups.