Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:50:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Judge Dredd meets Pulp Alley  (Read 11720 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Judge Dredd meets Pulp Alley
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 04:53:01 PM »
Well, I think we were (mostly) kidding, but there's also room to play things in different ways for different scenarios.

For instance, my cultists aren't done yet, but I have three iterations of their league: one as silent assassins, one as an open swarm (for after stealth goes out the window) and one with the "secret boss" who is a terror.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 07:06:03 PM »
You could also try making Judge Dredd an Experienced-Leader by giving him 1-4 extra abilities. Other than their Terror only abilities, a Terror really isn't too much tougher than a fully experienced Leader.

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 08:01:55 PM »
Thanks Mila,

That's a great idea.
Let's do Dredd by committee, after all he was kind of genetically engineered that way in the first place!
I've give him Intimidating, Iron Will & Hardened Veteran. If we were to give him another 1-4 skills, what would you all vote for?
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 09:38:30 PM »
Intimidating and Veteran are perfect.

Because I'd expect Dredd to be in the thick of the fighting, he might get more use out of Indomitable rather than Iron Will. Iron Will requires an "action" but Indomitable is passive, so it can work a little better for characters that are going to be engaged alot.

They aren't as flashy as other abilities, but nothing is more effective than Marksman and Fierce. I think those two are a must-have for Dredd.

Although it might not get used very often, Burst Fire would be cool to represent some of his special Lawgiver ammo. I wouldn't normally combine Burst Fire with a high Shoot skill but it feels very Dredd to me.

What about Untouchable to represent armor? He can stride down the middle of the street and still claim a cover save.  :D

Others that come to mind are Slam, Relentless, Crackshot, Hardboiled, Rugged....

Okay, maybe he is just a Terror!  lol lol

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 10:08:57 PM »

Dredd stares down some creeps... another day in Terra City-One

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 07:57:47 AM »
Although it might not get used very often, Burst Fire would be cool to represent some of his special Lawgiver ammo. I wouldn't normally combine Burst Fire with a high Shoot skill but it feels very Dredd to me.
I was thinking quick shot might also work for some of that. Actually, do you get the short range +1D bonus on quick shot, since that already has to be in short range?

Actually this entire topic got me thinking yesterday on other adaptions to pulp alley and how to handle things like Jedi for instance. But I'll leave that for another place before I de-rail this topic.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 08:36:37 AM by YPU »
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 09:01:16 AM »
Okay, maybe he is just a Terror!  lol lol

lol

Any character with a long history - Dredd has had a weekly story plus extras since 1977 - is going to be close to impossible to represent to everyones tastes in a game profile I think.  Sometimes he is a Terror, sometimes he isnt.  Sometimes Joe is a detective and master interrogator and sometimes he is simply a destructive juggernaut.  PA is one of the few games where non-combat skills have a real in-game use, so there is always a case for adding them, even to tough nuts like Dredd.

You could say the same about Batman, even though technically neither of those comic characters have any supernatural powers, just a few gadgets and training.

Access to a standard Leader profile plus a Terror profile should cover most Judge Dredd representations I think.  With PA being so modular then its easy to add or swap out an Ability to suit individual tastes if desired.

Giving a character increased Shoot plus Burst or Blasts feel sub-optimal, but some sort of tabletop representation of his signature weapon would be great.  Maybe Marksman/Burst Fire, Fierce, Untouchable and a Weapon X Gadget to represent the Lawgiver?

The very top of my list of desired products for Pulp Alley is a deck of cards each with a single League Resource: individual Gadgets, Tips, Backup, Contacts etc.  They would be really useful for adding forther modularity to the game and would suit the way that my group plays very well.  It would be handy for something like this too.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 05:04:04 PM »
I was thinking quick shot might also work for some of that. Actually, do you get the short range +1D bonus on quick shot, since that already has to be in short range?
Yes, the short range bonus still applies. So you'd actually gain a +3d bonus for that roll.

Actually this entire topic got me thinking yesterday on other adaptions to pulp alley and how to handle things like Jedi for instance. But I'll leave that for another place before I de-rail this topic.
I know several players who have also used Pulp Alley for Star Wars settings and had lots of fun. But I don't know exactly which abilities they picked for their Jedi characters.

HAVE FUN

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 08:05:08 PM »
What ever the setting, Pulp Alley has handled it with ease and provided a huge amount of enjoyment.

... We are the Law!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 04:58:17 AM »
Nice work, Chris! Your Terra-Blocks look perfect for a Judge Dredd setting.  ;)

HAVE FUN

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 06:20:25 AM »
That looks killer!
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 10:52:26 PM »
Characters with established continuity are always tricky. In the Judge Dredd Miniatures Game, Dredd is more dangerous than an entire starting gang, but in my Super System: Ultimate Alliance games (on the blog), he's about as tough as Captain America.

Batman is by far the worst to deal with though. Batman has been around since the Golden Age and changes every generation. I grew up with Batman the Animated Series, so that's the Batman I try to put in my games; he's smart, fast, stealthy and can take on a group of goons, no problem, but struggles against true super powers. God help me when one of the Arkham Asylum Video Game generation gets a hold of the character! Apparently Batman can blow up the moon with his mind these days...  ::)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2015, 10:50:47 AM »
What ever the setting, Pulp Alley has handled it with ease and provided a huge amount of enjoyment.

... We are the Law!

Love those clear bases!  :-* ...and those planters too. (THANKS!)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 09:55:12 PM »
Hi David,
Glad you liked them.. look forward to seeing your Terra-Block collection in some after action reports.

We have now added the Warlord Games / Mongoose Publishing Judge Dredd Miniatures Game figures to our web site.

http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/28mm-Wargames-Figures/Mongoose-Judge-Dredd-Miniatures-Game

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2015, 03:54:08 AM »
Yes, we've used the Terra-Blocks quite a bit. I think they have appeared in at least two of Dad's Phantom Ace battle reports.