Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:40:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 783
Total: 790

Recent

Author Topic: Windows Holographic: play any mini game on any terrain anywhere with anyone?  (Read 4801 times)

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
Not sure if you guys heard about this today, but Microsoft is talking about creating Windows Holographic, which is basically the idea of getting rid of your computer an simply interacting with a world of holographs... Here's an article: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/microsoft-announces-windows-holographic/ar-AA8rn4d?ocid=ansverge11

When I saw it I immediately thought of the implication it would have on miniature gaming. Imagine using it to play a fully immersive miniature game with a buddy across the world? You could actually have the person 'there' in the room, and the gaming table would be there in the room too, fully identical tables, miniatures, and layouts, I imagine dice could be done as well. In addition to that, there could be a display for the rulebook on the wall for all to reference and search as necessary!

Then I realized, you wouldn't even necessarily even need miniatures for in-person games... You could play with a buddy that's actually in the same room as you over a holographic miniature game terrain table with holographic figures... I'm not sure I like that, but it could be awesome.

Thanks
n

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
I think this has real potential considering the proliferation of 3D modelling for miniature figures...

Also, imagine zooming into the miniature game board to get a real eye-level view of any figure/captain etc, at any time to see the true line-of-site of the figure...

Here's a mock up of someone playing Minecraft on their living room surfaces... It gives a hint of what could be done with miniature games

Thanks
n
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:18:20 PM by Neldoreth »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
I think there are lots of technical issues which will need to be addressed to make this work, but this is absolutely a gaming grail of sorts.

Imagine being able to store every miniatures game you have on a hard drive, terrain and all. Imagine being able to just download terrain modules instead of spending weeks or months building them. Or being able to easily mod your figures with the click of a button. Or as you said, play anywhere with anyone from around the world.

I'm not saying it completely replaces old ways, but it sure as hell would make things vastly more accessible in terms of both convenience and price.  

It's essentially the same jump as books -> e-readers, or CDs/LPs -> mp3s/streaming. It doesn't necessarily obsolete the old version entirely, but digitization sure has loads of advantages.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:00:30 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
Sorry to say I am old school,
     Theres nothing like painting up a nice new army and it gets its first blooding and you roll crap dice all afternoon then take your mates down the pub for a pint and even more piss taking  :)

I just like gaming with models thats why i dont play pc games ect... theres just no comparison with wargaming this way.. in my eyes .....

Sounds great for people that dont paint and flit from one period to the next, like a butterfly not ever getting anything really done ! you know the type of people .

LR 

Offline The Red Graf

• Scientist
  • Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
as long as it carries the appropriate health warning on it........

At all times let the wookie win

I had a similar thought. :)

I like the look and feel of a brilliantly sculpted and painted miniature, the only problem is that I have high standards and no talent. This could be awesome.
Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
if its all holographic, just imagine what you or your better halfs could do with all the real world space you don't need anymore to store your hobby stuff....

of course it means we would all be going on about painting applications as to which one is most affordable/ realistic colours etc,

But repainting your armies would almost be one click away...

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
Also, imagine zooming into the miniature game board to get a real eye-level view of any figure/captain etc, at any time to see the true line-of-site of the figure...

Isn't this just what computer wargaming is?
I guess I'm also old school, but what appeals to me with miniature wargaming is the craft aspect… (apart from the social aspect, that is, which is the most important thing). That's the reason why I don't play computer games, and that would be the reason why I probably wouldn't play holographic games.
But wait till they are here - I probably couldn't resist trying it out  lol

Offline The Red Graf

• Scientist
There is a throwaway scene in the original Total Recal inwhich a bored receptionist is painting her nails. Instead of the laborious process of nail polish and brush that my wife uses, she just touches each finger once with some little electronic pen and it changes color. Unless I find the time and talent to paint miniatures like a pro, that is my dream for the future. Instead I will probably finish out my days in some dystopian hell where my old led gets turned into bullets. Oh well, at least they won't touch the finecast.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
The funny thing is that 3d modelling character models, let alone texture them, is several times more difficult than giving a basic inked/drybrushed paintjob to a 28mm miniature  :)

Offline The Red Graf

• Scientist
The funny thing is that 3d modelling character models, let alone texture them, is several times more difficult than giving a basic inked/drybrushed paintjob to a 28mm miniature  :)

I assumed that part would be done already.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
Sculpting/modeling is more difficult. More efficient, but more difficult.

Painting is actually just as easy (but again, more efficient), assuming you're going for the same approximate standard, and not actually trying to make your little digital guys look better than your drybrushed & dipped lead guys.

The system as a whole... it seems like it would be easy enough to do something like this with any of the common game engines out there. Someone with a little dev experience could probably knock together a basic "simulated tabletop" app in Unity or something that would enable folks to play a tabletop-style game online with each other using user-imported terrain and models. The software wouldn't have to handle the game other than maybe dice rolls, it'd just have to be something that would let people reposition their "minis" and have the changes show up on others screens in real time. Maybe have a FPS-view for checking sightlines and a digital tape-measure. That plus Skype and you'd be set.

The only really special thing it looks like is the "holographic" aspect, which from the article (and the pic) is actually just MSs version of an Oculus Rift or Google Glass headset, not an actual "open air" projection. A Google Glass style environment tracking AR overlay could be pretty cool, but I don't think I'd want to to this with an Oculus-style enclosed headset.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Then I realized, you wouldn't even necessarily even need miniatures for in-person games...

Then it's not for me... Strike it with hammers!

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Isn't this just what computer wargaming is?

Aye, that. The tech sounds all kewl and Iron-Manny, but playing wargames with it sounds too much like vidja games to me.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
I suppose that angle really just depends on how important the modelling aspects of the hobby are to you.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
I always wondered why 3D monitors didn't take off more with digital modelers & sculptors. I look at some of the hacks people have done with ganging together multiple Kinect units for high-res tracking*, and think with that for input, + a big 3D monitor w/ the software set to project outward instead of inward would = sculpting heaven. All you'd need is a glasses-less 3D screen (I know the tech existed, but I guess the 3D boom fizzled before they made it to market), and SOMEONE would've finally made that "Minority Report" thing a reality (and without the gloves).

This looks like a super-chunky version of Google Glass. I'd thought GG did head tracking and AR too (or was intended to)? Wonder what the difference is that requires the extra bulk.

*Also still wondering why no one's done this commercially yet. The hacker communities have shown you just need to up the sensor count to make these systems really shine as originally envisioned, so why is everyone trying to make it a product still arsing about with two-sensor units ten years later?