Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:08:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wargaming Crécy (Miniatures, etc.)  (Read 6093 times)

Offline epmoretto

• Assistant
Wargaming Crécy (Miniatures, etc.)
« on: February 07, 2015, 10:13:11 PM »
Hello all! I was just wondering which miniatures you would all use for wargaming Crécy (or the earlier years of the 100 Years War generally). I am in love with the Claymore Castings French crossbowmen, and am hoping to find other suitable miniatures. More likely than not, our group will seek to use the Basic Impetus rules for our games, so I would need a few units of cavalry and at least one unit of infantry, in addition to the crossbowmen.

Regards,
Rico.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Re: Wargaming Crécy (Miniatures, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 12:39:06 AM »
You have Front Rank miniatures that are a bit later but many usefull for Crecy.
Also you could check Black Tree Design miniatures for earlier and late HYW ranges. You also get some usefull ones.
Perry miniatures just edited a plastic box for Agincourt but i think at least the archers might do.

To be honest i dont know how they mix with Claymore  Castings.

Also check the old Brettonian ranges from GW. You will have many suitable minis in there if you can get them.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 08:43:13 AM »
Crusader miniatures also have a nice small range. Wargames foundry have some in their medieval ranges

Have a look at blacktree fantasy men of averaign they are ideal. GW brettonians work well too

Offline epmoretto

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 09:45:50 PM »
Ah. It seems that, generally speaking, options are limited. Evidently, most people are interested in playing with their plate armoured men...

Hopefully, someone will get smart and make some plastics for the period!

*Fingers perpetually crossed.

Offline Madmick

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 07:30:25 PM »
How about Curteys Miniatures with the late 13th Century sugar loaf helmets for the knights
www.curteysminiatures.co.uk.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 07:43:48 PM »
The bulk of my army was Front rank as you can morph them up and down the period

Offline epmoretto

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 08:32:09 AM »
How would the Claymore Castings 1388 English billmen work for French infantry circa 1350? I presume if you were to replace their bills and such with spears, they would pass fairly well as urban militia or such (mostly chain, with the odd bit of gauntlet/plate)?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 08:43:43 AM »
Hello all! I was just wondering which miniatures you would all use for wargaming Crécy (or the earlier years of the 100 Years War generally). I am in love with the Claymore Castings French crossbowmen, and am hoping to find other suitable miniatures. More likely than not, our group will seek to use the Basic Impetus rules for our games, so I would need a few units of cavalry and at least one unit of infantry, in addition to the crossbowmen.

Regards,
Rico.

Take a look at my La Journee Blog for the latest Claymore Castings sculpts and be amazed!!:

http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/claymore-castings-mounted-late.html

I'm painting up a batch of the Crossbowmen just now. I'll be sure to post up the results.

Darrell.

Offline SaxonBlackwater

• Assistant
  • You are not my liege
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 11:57:44 AM »
Take a look at my La Journee Blog for the latest Claymore Castings sculpts and be amazed!!:

http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/claymore-castings-mounted-late.html

I'm painting up a batch of the Crossbowmen just now. I'll be sure to post up the results.

Darrell.

Those look great! It would be nice to have some quality models to use for Crecy and Poitiers, I would be making an early HYW force myself if it wasn't more expensive than Agincourt with Perry Miniatures.

Offline epmoretto

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 05:58:09 PM »

Darrell.

Colour me excited for the painted crossbowmen. As for the knights, they look brilliant, but they could not come out fast enough! Being in Canada, it is not cost efficient to simply order a couple packs of crossbowmen and place yet another order for the knights when they do come out. I suppose that is the problem with a range released in batches that are a tad bit too small; had claymore come out with two or three packs, it might have been tempting to place an order for the entire lot all at once.

A bigger gamble, perhaps, but one which might have enticed more international customers to hop aboard, thusly funding things a little more quickly.

Bah, but I babble- the miniatures simply look gorgeous, and I am sure you'll do them justice.

Regards,
Rico.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 06:25:23 PM »
I painted (and sold :()  Crecy period English and French armies mainly based around Essex and Wargames Foundry  with a few Black Tree many years back.  It was possibly my favourite army and period.

I'm really tempted by the Claymore figures and have started a few crossbowmen, those knights look excellent  and my fingers are crossed that the range continues to expand.  I did a partial size comparison of suitable medieval figures:

L to Right - Claymore - Perry - Essex - Wargames Foundry - Claymore

I'll try and do more once I find the time.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 06:30:33 PM by levied troop »
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 07:22:32 PM »
If you want quality, I'd go for Claymore Castings..... wait a little while and see what they are going to release and I think that in itself will make your mind up for you..... that's all I can and will say  :).

Darrell.

Offline SaxonBlackwater

• Assistant
  • You are not my liege
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 11:37:47 PM »
I painted (and sold :()  Crecy period English and French armies mainly based around Essex and Wargames Foundry  with a few Black Tree many years back.  It was possibly my favourite army and period.

I'm really tempted by the Claymore figures and have started a few crossbowmen, those knights look excellent  and my fingers are crossed that the range continues to expand.  I did a partial size comparison of suitable medieval figures:

L to Right - Claymore - Perry - Essex - Wargames Foundry - Claymore

I'll try and do more once I find the time.

I hadn't realised Claymore were so close to Perry scale, or at least that one on the end seems to be pretty close, might have to get myself some of their Gallowglass that I've been looking at

Offline Koroni2001

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 11:29:42 AM »
Hi everyone
I too am interested in doing an early 100yw English army and have a range of figures including front rank.
Could someone please help by suggesting which front rank figures are suitable for crecy vs agincourt?
If someone could suggest the relevant figure codes that would be much appreciated!!
Thanks
Peter